[ont.general] Community College strike

kem@csri.toronto.edu (Kem Luther) (11/15/89)

I've noticed some talk in this group about the community  college
strike.  I  happen  to  be  one  of  the teachers  on  strike now
(though I am on leave of absence while a student at UofT),  so  I
thought   I   might supply  a  little more information and hazard
a few opinions.

The main issue  in  the  strike  is  government  underfunding  of
education.   Most  areas  of  education  under Ontario provincial
control have had a  rough  decade.    Ontario   is   considerably
behind   other   provinces   in   its  funding of education (as a
percentage of its total  budget).   And  the  funding  percentage
slips yearly.

The technical and community college system has been  particularly
hard  hit.  The  underfunding shows up in many areas.  Five years
ago, for example, we had to strike to force the government to cut
class   sizes   and   improve  teacher/student ratios.    In this
strike we are taking as our main issue the way  that underfunding
has  damaged  the  salary structures of professional educators in
our system.

For the last  decade  we have not had a  union  which has been as
active and as popular as the unions of secondary school teachers.
As a result we have not been able to  hold  our  share   of   the
government's   funding    attention   in   the  area  of  faculty
salaries.  As of this year, our  salaries  will   actually   fall
below    the    salaries    of  secondary  school  teachers  with
comparable training and seniority.   It  is  this  single  issue,
though it  is not the only one on the table, which  in my opinion
has  galvanized  the  college  faculties  to  move  to  a  strike
position.     The  goal  is simply  to keep our traditional place
in the hierarchy of funding between primary school and university
salaries.  It  is,   in   fact,  not   very  easy   to   get  the
community college faculty out on strike.  A slightly less blatant
shortfall  in  the   last  contract offer (two years ago) did not
receive a strike mandate.

Is it  right  that  college faculty  should  be  paid  less  than
primary  and  secondary  teachers  in  Ontario?  Is it right that
teachers at any level should be as  well  paid  as  they  are  in
Ontario?   These  are hard questions to answer.  I sometimes fear
that we are drifting toward conditions  of  educational  salaries
which  are  more  like those in the U.S.  I have many friends who
now are bearing the burdens imposed by the approach  to  salaries
which  prevails  down  south.   It  is not something I would wish
imposed on my colleagues in Ontario.  Nor is the U.S. educational
system one that I would like to see totally modelled here.

As for the opinion expressed in this group that students are  the
ones  who are the hostages  in  this situation, I can only agree.
The question, though, is not  <<whether>>  the  middle  party  is
hurt.  There  is  in  fact  a  very  real danger that educational
programs will have to be extended for many students if the strike
continue  even one or two more days. The real question is <<who>>
is holding the students captive.   I  think it  is the members of
the  Council  of  Regents,  and  behind  the  Council the current
Ontario  government,  who  are  not  allocating  the  monies   to
provide  the   students  with  quality education and training. If
the picture  being  projected  is  that  college   faculties  are
gleefully  putting  the  students'  year  in  danger for personal
monetary goals, the pictured is radically underfocussed.  We  are
the  ones  who  work  with  them  on  a  daily basis to  make the
programs  a  success.   We know them as individuals, and not just
as   statistics   and   line  items  in budgets.  It  is actually
quite painful to  have  to  apply  the  medicine   of  a   strike
to    the  disease    of    underfunding    when   that    action
causes   such immediate  harm   to  persons    toward   whom   we
have   developed a  strong  sense  of responsibility.

I don't know whether the strike will be  a  success.   The  union
began   it   with   only  a  55% mandate.  Although students have
tuition and living expenses at risk, the stakes are at  least  as
high  for  the faculty.  I estimate that each college teacher has
taken a shortfall in salary while on strike which  is  equivalent
to    the   semester   tuition  for  over ten students.  Remember
when you read something by a Regent that  you  are  hearing  from
someone    who  has   almost nothing  at risk.  Remember when you
hear from an MP you are  talking  to  someone  who  has  a  fully
indexed   pension  plan,  but   who  will  not  even  allow us to
table the  matter   of   our    non-indexed    pensions    during
contract  negotiations   (most   primary  school teachers, by the
way, also have indexed pensions).

stewartw@warpdrive.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov14.121020.29124@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> kem@csri.toronto.edu (Kem Luther) writes:

>Is it  right  that  college faculty  should  be  paid  less  than
>primary  and  secondary  teachers  in  Ontario?  Is it right that
>teachers at any level should be as  well  paid  as  they  are  in
>Ontario?   These  are hard questions to answer.  I sometimes fear

   Yes, they are hard questions.  Personally I feel that primary
and secondary teachers should be paid more.  The required level
of education of a college teacher (in many areas) does not have
to go beyond a bachelor's degree (same as the others).  However,
the college teacher responsibility is to try to pass on some skill
to his students.  The primary and secondary teacher have the
additional burdens of teaching people to want to learn (ie teaching
us to desire literacy and knowledge).  They must deal with poorly
motivated students, for example.  In general society expects
more from them.

  Are they all overpaid?  Well, I would say that cost-of-living
increases on the base salary from here on to eternity should be as
much as any teacher should dare to ask for (I am assuming that
their contract also has a graduated scale for experience, seniority
and responsibility).

 Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive