[ont.general] workforce monopolies

tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (11/17/89)

brian@jtsv16.jts.com (Brian A. Jarvis) writes:
>I tend to look at this from the opposite direction.  Teachers are getting good
>pay, but the auto workers and brick layers are getting about twice as much
>money as they deserve.  Mostly due to monopolization of labour.  "Closed shop".

Monopolization doesn't stop in the union shops...

>... your teachers must be making radically different amounts than the
>teachers at my schools.  They were the best paid occupation in the area,
>short of the lawyers and doctors and a handful of entrepreneurs...

...monopolization specifically *includes* lawyers, and doctors to a certain
extent.

Canadian law societies have prohibited their members for advertizing, and
fought the intrusion of paralegals (oh no!? competition!?), for instance.
Someone tell us it's not a closed shop!  Further, lawyers have predominated the
writing of our laws, and one might wonder if such men (and women) wouldn't tend
to identify and concord with their own ilk and trade.  (How many decades will
it be before we see an engineer as PM?  -- *somebody* trained to run a country
in the evolving technological world beyond chopping down trees and mining
nickel?)

As for doctors, one may look to the U.S. to see what they may do, given the
freedom (when the governing lawyers haven't legislated them back into place :-)
Even in Canada there are plenty of examples of doctors fighting the threat of
competition (ex. with respect to midwifery and nurse practitioners).

Closed shops and short work stints seem to be the principle ingredients for
inordinate income, and both law and medicine often operate in these conditions.
Only lately have the *plumbers* and such figured out how to pull it off.

In article <89Nov16.202855est.11014@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> tjhorton@ai.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") writes:
>...monopolization specifically *includes* lawyers...
>Canadian law societies have prohibited their members for advertizing, and
>fought the intrusion of paralegals (oh no!? competition!?), for instance...

For another instance, I seem to recall that there was a considerable fuss
when Jane Harvey Associates set and (gasp!) posted fixed prices for certain
items of routine legal work.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu