[ont.general] Stupid Censor Board

kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) (11/23/89)

I got a good yuck out of a censored word I heard on City the other night.
The (censored) phrase went something like:
	"... she's a ****** fucker"  (*** is the censored word)

Makes sense eh?  I'm glad to see our children's ears are being protected
from the dirtiest word of all... mother.  (oops, now *I've* said it!)

jonathan@hcr.uucp (Jonathan Fischer) (11/24/89)

In article <647@alias.UUCP> kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) writes:
>	"... she's a ****** fucker"  (*** is the censored word)

	Yeah, I got a real kick out of this as well.  I think the movie was
"Predator."  Another thing I noticed is that before 9:00, most everything
was blanked out, and then suddenly after 9:00 anything went (except, of course,
the m-word mentioned above).
--
"Consequently, said staff will be   	| Jonathan A. Fischer
entering your unit to effectuate said	| HCR Corp.

I thought that was strange.  Usually CITY doesn't drop the bad words
at all.  In Predator, they cut out most of the fucks, as will happen
when they get a film that has been censored for general viewing.

But I can't believe that a general TV censor would leave in
	"one bad <blank> fucker"

jim@mks.com (Jim Gardner) (11/27/89)

In article <647@alias.UUCP> kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) writes:
>I got a good yuck out of a censored word I heard on City the other night.
>The (censored) phrase went something like:
>	"... she's a ****** fucker"  (*** is the censored word)
>
>Makes sense eh?  I'm glad to see our children's ears are being protected
>from the dirtiest word of all... mother.  (oops, now *I've* said it!)

I believe Peter Gzowski mentioned a similar incident in one of his
radio shows, and he blamed it on the way they do the bleep.  Gzowski's
show goes out live in the Maritimes and is re-broadcast one hour later
in each time zone across the country.  When a nasty word comes up in an
interview or something, the technicians take an exact measure of the
time at which the word occurred and then program a computer to bleep
at that time in all re-broadcast.  This is more dependable than trusting
the reflexes of a human technician to push a bleep button at the right
time and it means that they don't have to doctor the actual tape of
the show.

Unfortunately, tapes "creep": they stretch a bit each time they are
played, which means that the timing changes a bit in re-broadcasts.
This means that they can end up bleeping the wrong word.

By the way, I have another explanation for CITY's broadcast.  It's
possible that there is some CRTC ruling saying that mother-fucker is
too horrendously obscene for broadcast but that fucker just squeaks
in under the wire.  In this case, it's just like CITY to bleep the
"mother" as a sly protest against the inanities of censors.  Remember
that back when there was a furor about cuts made in the movie of
The Tin Drum, CITY showed the cut scenes on their 6:00 newscast so
people would know what they were missing.

			Jim Gardner, Mortice Kern Systems

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov27.152646.19197@mks.com> jim@mks.com (Jim Gardner) writes:
>Unfortunately, tapes "creep": they stretch a bit each time they are
>played, which means that the timing changes a bit in re-broadcasts.
>This means that they can end up bleeping the wrong word.

I would think that this is probably not necessarily a problem in video.
I would expect that they would stripe (or the tape would be pre-striped)
with SMPTE time-code which would keep things perfectly in sync.  Of
course this assumes the use of current (non-ancient) technology and
that the movies are on video rather than film.

djohnson@watserv1.waterloo.edu ( DOUG JOHNSON - GEOGRAPHY ) (11/29/89)

In article <51925@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I thought that was strange.  Usually CITY doesn't drop the bad words
>at all.  In Predator, they cut out most of the fucks, as will happen
>when they get a film that has been censored for general viewing.
>
>But I can't believe that a general TV censor would leave in
>	"one bad <blank> fucker"

At least one of the movies in question was Hollywood Shuffle. It makes
me wonder who is responsible for the editing - is it the individual
stations/networks/distributers? All of the above? Anyone know the answer?
(BTW I thought the ONtario Censor Board didn't have a mandate to censor
television, only to classify movies and videos - any comments on this?).

DJ

jim@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Jim Somerville) (11/30/89)

In article <230@watserv1.waterloo.edu> djohnson@watserv1.waterloo.edu ( DOUG JOHNSON - GEOGRAPHY ) writes:
>At least one of the movies in question was Hollywood Shuffle. It makes
>me wonder who is responsible for the editing - is it the individual
>stations/networks/distributers? All of the above? Anyone know the answer?
>(BTW I thought the ONtario Censor Board didn't have a mandate to censor
>television, only to classify movies and videos - any comments on this?).

The Ontario Censor Board has no jurisdiction over television (thank
God).  Sometimes the cut of the movie the station receives has already
been censored.  I remember a station apologizing to its viewers once
for the pre-censored flick it was showing from the US.  GLOBAL shows
Elvira's Movie Macabre often censored because obviously that's how
they receive it from the US,  and GLOBAL was known as introducing
nudity to soap operas in Southern Ontario.

I believe the CRTC has guidelines, generally geared to community
standards.  Some of the stuff shown on Quebec French stations would
evoke outcry if shown on prudish Ontario stations.  When Super Ecran
(the French service of First Choice) showed some X-rated material,
there was public outcry and the CRTC asked them to tone it down (back
in their early days).
--
Jim Somerville (bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!jim)	Phone:	(613) 763-4497
Bell-Northern Research			Usenet:utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!jim