[ont.general] Where to RENT/BUY USED/NEW CD's ??

csc458@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (11/30/89)

   Can anyone supply me with information on where to RENT, BUY USED, BUY NEW,
   or get GOOD DEALS on Compact Discs?   I am especially interested in the
   idea of renting CD's in order to make purchasing decisions, and I don't
   mind buying used, as long as the condition is reasonable.
   I'm already familiar with a few stores such as Flip City, Vortex, and
   the CD Bar, but information about other stores in the Toronto, or
   outlying regions, would be greatly appreciated.

   Please respond by email to this account (lea@gpu.utcs.utoronto).
   If there is enough interest, I will post a followup-summary.

--
     Simon Lea -- University of Toronto, Department of Computer Science
  InterNet, BITNET, CSnet, NetNorth, CDNNET, EARN: lea@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

ckchee@dgp.toronto.edu (Chuan Chee) (11/30/89)

I am posting this because mail got bounced.

You can get a membership at the bookstore for $5/year and
rent CD's.  You can also rent CD's from a few bigger
MAC's (some catering company as the bookstore) and a
video store on Bay (west side) just south of Bloor.
The video store is open 24 h.

If you are interested in classical, there is a special store
on the top floor or second floor of the Eaton's center (not
Eatons).

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov30.003218.6679@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> csc458@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:

>   Can anyone supply me with information on where to RENT, BUY USED, BUY NEW,
>   or get GOOD DEALS on Compact Discs?   I am especially interested in the
>   idea of renting CD's in order to make purchasing decisions, and I don't
>   mind buying used, as long as the condition is reasonable.

The Brampton Public Library, main branch, has a decent sized collection
of CDs, though there is little stuff that could be considered recent
chart action. Of course, you can't beat the price. Membership (to people
living or working in Brampton) is free, and there is not extra cost to
borrow CDs (loan time - 2 weeks renewable).

I discovered the phenominal Don Dorsey 'Bachbusters' record through this
route.
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Telly Computing, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (12/01/89)

>>   Can anyone supply me with information on where to RENT, BUY USED, BUY NEW,
>>   or get GOOD DEALS on Compact Discs?   I am especially interested in the
>>   idea of renting CD's in order to make purchasing decisions, and I don't
>>   mind buying used, as long as the condition is reasonable.
>
> The Brampton Public Library, main branch, has a decent sized collection
> of CDs ...

Ditto, the North York PL. Some of the collection circulates. The best
library for serious music is undoubtedly the UofT music library (Edward
Johnson bldg) which has EVERYTHING but nothing circulates.