[ont.general] Beer in corner stores

jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) (12/22/89)

In article <89Dec20.141047est.2233@neat.cs.toronto.edu> mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (?) writes:
>The real issue is not Sunday shopping but the authorian character of
>the Canadian government. Are the majority of us going to let the
>minority impose their views on on us with no more justification than
>they thing that it's a good idea.
>
>Marc Green

I think this is exactly the problem.  Essentially the same sort of thing
occurred when the Ontario Liberals were first elected. Part of their
platform was to allow the sale of beer in corner stores.  As a recent
immigrant from Quebec (at the time) it seemed like a very sensible policy
to me.

As we all know, it never happened. The question is: why not?

John Alsop