[ont.general] Sunday shopping: Is there a middle ground?

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/24/89)

Look, folks, this ain't the abortion issue. It isn't life and death.
And I can't believe that it's got to be an either-or situation either.

Though the religious and most other arguments against Sunday opening have
fallen by the wayside, it's difficult to refute someone saying that
full-blown openings will hurt families who barely get Sunday together, as
it is. Hell knows, society (with, it seems, government blessing) doesn't
to much to encourage tight family units these days.

I can't be drawn into an discussion which says that the marketplace must
take priority over things like that. But I also can't believe this is an
issue with no middle ground.

I do, as a premise, believe that just as there are those who do not
object to shopping Sundays, there would be retail workers who would
not object to working Sundays (without coersion) instead of, say,
Mondays or Tuesdays. I will grant, however, that these people may
comprise only a small portion of the entire retail workforce.
I'm just not sure.

While I have already shown my biases on this issue, I have a hard time
believing that the "Committee for Fair Shopping" (or whatever they call
themselves) is really looking out for the consumer's interest. Larger
stores and chains know that they can handle Sunday openings better than
smaller stores, and their interest is only in increasing market share.

I'm wondering if a kind of limited Sunday opening, less limited than
presently exists but stopping short of wide-open might be possible.

Is it possible to restrict stores allowed to open Sunday by certain
criteria? For instance, we allow Becker and Mac's food stores to open
while the larger chains must close. But if you buy food at one of these
stores, you usually pay more for the privilege.

Can we not apply this to hardware and other kinds of retailers?
Only allow, say, stores under a certain square-footage to open Sunday?

This might make it profitable enough for the small, ma-and-pa stores
to hire extra staff without affecting the bulk of the employers, the
large chains. Who knows? This could even offer an environment which
encourages new small retailers, a field which is traditionally one of
the most risky for a virgin entrepreneur?

(Bias alert - I am none too pleased at the concentration of the retail
industry in the hands of a very small number of companies. I'd love to
find a way to give smaller operations a chance to compete.)

There are other criteria with which one could limit Sunday shopping
without totally restricting it. I just can't believe there's no possible
compromise which would allow most retail workers to stay home Sundays,
while giving an outlet to those who want to do some shopping (or may not
be able to elsewhere in the week?)

The present criteria, of designating "tourist areas", or just certain
categories (like "drug" stores, such as Hy&Zel's) is a sham. There
must be something better.
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (12/29/89)

In article <25945410.6564@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I'm wondering if a kind of limited Sunday opening, less limited than
>presently exists but stopping short of wide-open might be possible.

>Can we not apply this to hardware and other kinds of retailers?
>Only allow, say, stores under a certain square-footage to open Sunday?

   In fact this is exactly the law we have now!  Probably many people
aren't aware of this fact.  I don't know the exact numbers, but is
something like you can remain open as long as you are 2000 (?) square feet
or under and have no more than 4 (?) people working.  The 2000 and the 4
I am not certain about, but it's either 3 or 4 and the square footage is
fairly restrictive.  I know that drug stores have special exemptions, as
do stores in a tourist zone.
   BUT, and this is a big but, we are back to the MALL word again.  If the
store is in a mall and the mall is closed, then the store is closed unless
it opens directly to the outside.

   Hope this clarifies rather than confuses,
 Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive