[ont.general] Sunday shopping compromises

kpicott%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Socrates) (01/02/90)

In this <heated discussion, debate> a couple of compromises have been
suggested.  So that they aren't missed, here is a summary:

mart@csri.toronto.edu (Mart Molle):

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch):

gerry@tvcent.UUCP (Gerry Singleton):

>With businesses wanting to open Sundays and
>our social services damn near crippled,  perhaps businesses could recruit
>via the various social service agencies.  This would provide those accepting
>social assistance with both honest employment and an opportunity to become
>productive tax paying members of society while releasing funds for more
>housing, et cetera.  Besides I think business is obliged to provide this
>type of opportunity it only in self-interest.

Of the three I think that Evan's can be made the most workable, by extending
what would "naturally happen" to actual legislation by allowing Sunday
shopping during the holiday season; say November and December.  It would
allow the retail worker the opportunity to earn the extra money they always
so desperately need in the holiday season, while also giving the flexible
possibility of hiring seasonal help to the employer.  This would protect
the retail worker's job, since the seasonal help would take the extra day
obligation from them, while also allowing those who want to "get ahead"
(read "get extra spending money") to work the extra hours if they choose to.

Naturally this doesn't satisfy things such as stores whose peak season is
not in December, or stores who need trained staff, such as jewelry stores
or computer equipment stores.  I don't think it's possible to give everybody
what they want but this idea at least begins to address the more important
issues.  (Economy, forced working, extra work by choice...)

--
 Kevin Picott   aka   Socrates   aka   kpicott%alias@csri.toronto.edu
 Alias Research Inc.  R+D          Toronto, Ontario... like, downtown

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/04/90)

In article <702@alias.UUCP> kpicott%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Socrates) writes:
> ... or stores who need trained staff, such as jewelry stores
>or computer equipment stores.

Where's the smiley? :-)

>--
> Kevin Picott   aka   Socrates   aka   kpicott%alias@csri.toronto.edu
> Alias Research Inc.  R+D          Toronto, Ontario... like, downtown
> "There can be no offense where none is taken" - Japanese proverb

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.