[ont.general] Customs

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (02/07/90)

glennr@cognos.UUCP (Glenn D. Rasmussen) writes:
> Remember to declare everything!
> To me, smuggling just isn't worth the risk.

I agree.

> With Customs, it's guilty until proven innocent. :-(.

My friend who works at the Soo crossing (in the summer) would have to
disagree.  He says it's quite obvious when people are smuggling
anything.  They say stupid things, and act nervous.  If you are
square with them, they will be square with you.  Don't act too cool
either.  But if they get a `funny feeling' that you're hiding something, you
might be in for a long wait.  It may be cheaper in the long run, but
if you claim it might still be cheaper than in Ontario.

[Aside:]
Last summer he made 7 drug busts, himself.  I think the total for the
crossing was around 25.  One car was a relatively new (GM?) with a man
and woman (clean cut, possible yuppie type), around 30-35 years old.
Spread throughout the car was 30 ounces of cocaine.  Their child was
given to Children's Aid.  Sick.

I am in no way implying that Glenn, his parents, or the original
poster smuggle anything. :-)
--
Doug Eastick -- eastick@me.utoronto.ca