[fa.human-nets] HUMAN-NETS Digest V5 #75

C70:human-nets (08/05/82)

>From Pleasant@Rutgers Wed Aug  4 22:28:19 1982

HUMAN-NETS Digest        Thursday, 5 Aug 1982      Volume 5 : Issue 75

Today's Topics:
                            Administrivia
                       Preliminary Announcement
                       Working at home (9 msgs)

Date: 4 Aug 1982 2210-EDT
Subject: Administrivia
From: Pleasant at RUTGERS

During the transition from the old moderator to the new one (me), I
managed to foul up the issue numbers.  Issue 72 does not exist because
of this.  I am also aware that some sites are receiving several copies
of the digest.  Unfortunately, until some local distribution list
maintainers return from vacation, there isn't much I will be able to
do about this.  I hope to have this problem straightened out by the
beginning of next week.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 1982 1224-EDT
Subject: Preliminary Announcement
From: JMCKENDREE at BBNB

This is a preliminary announcement of the New Jersey Institute of
Technology Continuing Education Program.  It is of particular interest
because students will not be expected to attend class on campus but
will telecommute via a computer terminal.  A mail response to the
short form at the end of the announcement will assure a person's being
put on the mailing list for NJIT's course catalog with full
description of courses offered (both regular courses and these
computer-mediated seminars).

             CONTINUING EDUCATION PARTICIPATORY SEMINARS
                                 via
                     COMPUTER TELECOMMUNICATIONS

A new kind of seminar taught on your schedule, in your home or
at your workplace, with teachers and experts from all over the
country, and with more personal involvement than any continuing
education class you have ever taken before is now being planned by
the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

These seminars will be taught through computer terminals or
microprocessors connected to a nationwide easy-to-use
computerized conferencing system.  Students will take part in
on-line classes, ask and answer questions, and communicate as often
as they need to with the instructor and other students.  They may do
this at any hour of the day, any day of the week that is
convenient for them.

The New Jersey Institute of Technology is proud to introduce this
innovative program planned for 1983.  We expect to offer
programs during three semesters: spring, summer and fall.  More
than 20 courses will be offered in this program relevant to
managerial, professional and technical areas.

Among the topic areas planned are:

PROFESSIONAL WOMEN & THE WORKPLACE                COMPUTERS & SOCIETY
WHAT EVERY MANAGER SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ARBITRATION  THE DELPHI METHOD
MANAGERIAL WRITING                                CREATIVE WRITING
DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEMS                          LOCAL AREA NETWORKS
TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING            N SUPPORT SYSTEMS                          LOCAL AREA NETWORKS
TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING                         COMPUTER LITERACY
MICROPROCESSORS                                   APPLE II PROGRAMMING
PASCAL PROGRAMMING                                TRS-80 PROGRAMMING
HUMAN COMMUNICATION VIA COMPUTER                  OFFICE AUTOMATION

In many subject areas advanced seminars as well as introductory
or survey seminars will be offered.  The catalog of seminars will
be available in November of  1982.   These three month
seminars will be offered for approximately $600 for enrollment in
one course and less than $1000 for two courses.   Special sessions
and tailored courses can be arranged for companies and organizations
seeking "in house" electronic seminars.   If you wish to receive
the catalog or seek other detailed information fill out the form
below and return to the New Jersey Institute of Technology at the
address indicated.

REQUEST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
List in order of preference the first four (4) seminars which are of
interest to you:

(1)_________________________    (2)_________________________
(3)_________________________    (4)_________________________
Other preferences_________________________

Your Name____________________________
Title________________________________
Organization_________________________
Business Address_____________________
City__________ State_____ ZIP________
Business Phone_______________________
Home Address_________________________
City__________ State_____ ZIP________
Home Phone___________________________

Age Group (Optional-Please Circle)
20-25,26-30,31-35,36-40,41-45,46-50,51-55,56-60,61-65,65+

Please return entire page to New Jersey Institute of Technology,
Division of Continuing Education.  323 High St., Newark N.J.,
07102.  Please pass duplicate copies to interested associates.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Aug 82 18:59:43-EST (Tue)
From: Ben Goldfarb <goldfarb.ucf-cs@UDel-Relay>
Subject: Working at home

I submitted the following article to Usenet and I have received quite
a few responses that I believe the readers of this list would be
interested in reading.  I shall forward them separately with apologies
to those who already read some of them on Usenet.

                           ================

I understand that DEC has started allowing its employees to work at
home to some degree, but the details given me were sketchy.  Obviously
many many firms have no problems with people working at home as long
as they make the obligatory 9-5 appearance at the office, but
apparently DEC has initiated something more interesting than that.  I
am interested in knowing just what type of arrangements DEC has made
as well as what other companies are doing along these lines.

                                Ben Goldfarb
                                Uucp: ..duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb
                                ARPA: goldfarb.ucf-cs@Udel-Relay

[The following messages are the replies to this message.  They are
separated so that digestification software will work properly - Mel]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 82 18:09:25
From: duke!dennis
Subject: Re: Working at home

I've been working at home for several months now, not because of any
management program, but because office space around here is pretty
tight, and the air conditioning at the office has been notably absent.
I'm involved with a fairly large project using the IBM PC, and have
one at home with all the goodies I need to work.  I have no such
regularly structured hours for it, as Will's people do, and I only
show up at my boss's office when there's a meeting or some such that
demands my presence.

All in all, I regard it as a very positive thing;  I can keep my own
hours, and can easily stop work and watch Star Trek (twice a day here)
or M*A*S*H (four times a day, plus prime time) (no, I don't watch them
ALL). Since it's all stand alone (except for reading my mail and news
via a terminal program that was my first effort, IBM's offering being
worthless),  I don't even need a dedicated phone line.  Also, I've
recently gotten married, and working at home enables me to be with my
wife all day;  we get along well being together all the time.  The
space requirements at home are not great;  I have a desk covered with
hardware and printouts, and a printer on a small table next to the
desk, and a bookshelf filled with those damned IBM PC manuals (at last
count, 15 of them).  I'm on a monthly wage (ie, no time cards), and my
paycheck is deposited directly to my bank, so those things don't
require me to go to the office.

I've always been a loner as a programmer;  the couple of times I
entered into a team programming project, I got too irritated with the
other members to work easily with them (I refuse to allocate blame; I
know I'm pretty fussy about things that may or may not matter).

I heartily recommend it, and hope I can continue to work in this way.

------------------------------

Date: 2 Aug 82 09:26:18
From: duke!harpo!decvax!pur-ee!ecn-pa.scott

Those interested in working at home might find the following book
interesting.  The thesis of several of the contributing authors is
that a *lot* of the time spent by scientists and engineers (you can
decide which one you are!) is in communication.  Most of that is spent
in informal dialog with colleagues.  There are often very complex
communication networks among members of working groups, and certain
members act as gateways between groups.  All in all, it makes for very
interesting reading.  They *didn't* consider time spent doing exactly
what you are doing now, i.e.  time spent on a computer terminal
reading news. Maybe news acts as a substitute for some of the informal
communication.  Any thoughts on the value of shooting the breeze as
part of your job?  The book is:

        Communication among scientists and engineers.
        Heath Lexington Books
        1970
        501.4/C737 (at Purdue, at least)
        OCLC #97550

        Scott Deerwester
        Purdue University Libraries

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 82 13:51:26
From: duke!unc!smb (Steven M. Bellovin)

I don't find working at home to be an unmixed blessing.  For one
thing, it's often too easy to get distracted by things like my SF
collection.  If I'm not in the mood to work on something that *must*
be done, being at home can be the worst thing for the project.

More importantly, when I'm working at home constantly I get lonely.  I
don't find 'mail' to be a substitute for face-to-face conversation,
either professionally or socially.  I need the informal personal
interactions to keep me functional, and a terminal just doesn't cut
it.  (To be sure, when the net is down for a few days I miss my
contacts with all you folks out there in network land as well.)

                --Steve

------------------------------

Date: 1 Aug 82 08:31:28
From: duke!decvax!cca!mclure@sri-unix
Subject: Re: Re: Working at home - (nf)

For all of you interested in "tele-commuting", I recommend Toffler's
THE THIRD WAVE, and its chapter "The Electronic Cottage". As far as
I'm concerned, Toffler is a real soothsayer in that chapter.

I've been a tele-commuter for the last 3 years.  In my case it's
fairly trivial to go to work.  I live a block from SRI and spend 3-4
hours per day at the office and the rest of the time (and a lot more)
at home.  However, even if I didn't live so close, I doubt that this
division of time would change very much.

However, I can see how tele-commuting might not be everyone's cup of
tea.  Some married folks yearn to "get away" from unpleasant home
environments.  Others might find the office environment better suited
to working on a computer if it requires frequent high-bandwidth
interaction with co-worker.  Electronic mail often just isn't fast
enough!  But for programmers, I think tele-commuting is a gigantic win
if they have quiet surroundings and find the noise of offices
distracting.  The things I appreciate about working at home are:

        1) no noise
        2) good music
        3) good food
        4) other activities during lapses in programming

Because of these, I can work at a single task much longer than if I'm
at the office.

        Stuart

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jul 82 21:08:23
From: duke!harpo!presby!aron
To: harpo!duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb

I work for a small software house here in Philadelphia in software
development.  I've been working here for two years.  From the
beginning they had a policy of providing technical types with home
terminals (we have a VAX/11/780/VMS system).  My first child was born
around the time I started working, and my wife's part-time job was
scheduled to begin three weeks after the baby was born.  So I asked if
I could stay home two days a week, to look after the baby while my
wife was at work.  Given the company's flex time policy, and given that
90% of my work was done sitting at a terminal, I argued that there was
little reason for me to actually come in to the office.  My managers
agreed to a trial.  Well, two years later, I'm still working at home
two days a week.  I'm still the only person in the company who has
this arrangement.  One of my co-worker's wife is expecting in October,
but he hasn't expressed any interest as yet in working at home.
Another colleague would like such an arrangement when she starts her
family.

I've found that on days I work at home, I often get more done since
when I work, I really work (instead of BSing with the gang).  It has
been a tremendous help to my wife, and I feel I am a full partner in
raising my son and (new-born) daughter.  I have had four different
managers since I started this arrangement (things move quickly in
small companies) and not one of them has expressed any complaints or
doubts about the  arrangement.

Unfortunately, our company has been going down the tubes recently, and
we were just bought out by a large conglomerate.  They have promised
not to upset current work-environment policies.  I hope they keep
their word.

                                aron shtull-trauring
                                harpo!presby!aron

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jul 82 10:06:23
From: duke!decvax!ittvax!freb
To: decvax!duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb

I work at the ITT Programming Technology Center in Stratford, CT.  In
our group (a research outfit), we can work at home anytime we like, as
long as we don't miss vital meetings, etc.  We have even been given
terminals, modems, and dedicated phone lines for use at home (ITT
picks up the tab for everything).  Sure is nice - I'd recommend it to
anyone who can convince the management...

        Karl Freburger
        decvax!ittvax!freb

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 82 03:16:31
From: duke!harpo!cornell!bob
To: harpo!duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb
Subject: DEC work policy

Well, I haven't been keeping up with DEC internal policies for the
last few years, but I do know that the "work-at-home" policy has
*always* been in effect for programmers.  I have quite a few friends
in software development for DEC working on 8's, 11's, 10's, 20's.
Many of them have been there since the PDP-8 was the hot machine (i.e.
pre-11 days).  One of the attractions of working there has always been
that DEC is extremely lax in work requirements.  They merely insist
that you get the job done.  Furthermore, they have been so lax that
some of the folks I know there tried to see how long they could get
away with doing absolutely nothing.  I believe it went for a few
months before someone realized what was up.  Perhaps the major source
of the trouble is that nearly everyone at DEC is a manager -- all
chiefs, no Indians.  Where did you hear of a new policy being
initiated??  I'd like to know what it is.

                                                        Bob Harper
                                                        P?S

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 82 18:13:58
From: duke!harpo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sytek!msm
To: menlo70!ucbvax!decvax!harpo!duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb

I would be interested in the results from your "working at home" query
on net.general.  Could you please either post the results to the
USENET news, or mail me a copy?

As far as Sytek (Silicon Gulch, California) is concerned, while
people are supposed to show up (at whatever hours they choose, as long
as they can still interact with others with whom they must work and
get their work done), occasional working at home days are acceptable.
In my case, I live 37 miles (one-way) from work and will sometimes not
come in but work from home (using dial-in lines for computer access and
then downloading/uploading things to/from my home micro system).  We
have most all our equipment on a broadband-cable local network
(LocalNet, which we manufacture), by dialing in to it, I can still run
development systems, various test equipment, etc. as well as our Unix
systems.

Michael S. Maiten
Sytek, I

Date: 30 Jul 82 18:13:58

[...]