Date: 14 Feb 1983 14:25:08 EST (Monday)
From: Roger Frye <frye at BBN-UNIX>
Subject: BYTE Issue on Handicapped

The September issue of Byte was devoted to computer aids for the
handicapped.  Does anyone else have further information,
specifically for quadriplegics.  I am trying to help a college
educated man who was paralyzed in a car accident.  He controls his
wheelchair and phone with a sip-and-puff device.

Roger Frye <frye at BBN-UNIX> 617-497-3155

------------------------------

Date: 17 February 1983 1914-EST
From: Vijay Saraswat at CMU-CS-A
Subject: Devanagiri Text Editor

I am interested in developing a system to input , process and
display Devanagiri characters and running text . Essentially , I am
interested in developing a text editor for a language based on the
Devanagiri script, like Hindi . The system will input characters
from a standard keyboard , process them for display (on a bit-mapped
screen ) which may involve  superposition ,subscription and
superscription of characters and also convert them into a press file
suitable for printing on a device like the  Dover.  Since I am not
happy with the current SANSKRIT10 font on the Dover , this may also
involve the design of a new Devanagiri font .

Since I do not want to reinvent the wheel , comments , advice ,
pointers to existing work are solicited .

        Thanks in advance .
                                Vijay.Saraswat@CMU-CS-A

------------------------------

Date: 12 January 1983 11:57 mst
From: RSanders.Pascalx at DENVER
Subject: re: Dynabooks with all my memory in them.

  No thanks - I would rather have real books around (even LP's and
analog video-disks) until someone comes up with a sure-fire method
of backing up all my (off-line ?) memory.  I've been around
computers too long to believe in the infallibility of disks, tapes,
core, semi-conductor memory, etc.  Can you imagine what a few good
alpha or beta particles could do to a Dyanbook crammed with a few
gigabytes of storage?  Especially if you live next door to a nuke
plant or MX missile warhead factory?
  What happens if someone steals my Dynabook?  Will it self-destruct
without my retinal patterns staring at the display?  Will it
accidentally self-destruct when I get a black eye in a barroom
brawl?  (Boy, aren't fantasies great!)
  What about historical records?  What will happen to history when
everyone's thoughts are recorded on an ancient form of silicon (or
whatever) memory that no-one uses any more?  Who can say that the
rocks in your backyard aren't the Dynabook memories of ancient
astronauts, scattered around for us to decipher.  (I think I'm going
off the deep end).
  My main point is I won't trust all my life's records to a 8 1/2 by
11, 3 pound device of any nature.  Maybe I'm getting old and cranky.

-- Rex

------------------------------

Date: 17 February 1983 06:57 est
From: SSteinberg.SoftArts at MIT-MULTICS
Subject: hackers and bit memory

I always thought that being a hacker was a matter of attitude and
behavior.  A hacker is curious and playful and will try things out
to see what happens.  Hackers will then use their knowledge to make
their work easier.  Unlike most people, hackers tend to stay awake.
The industrial revolution would have been impossible without
hackers.  The presence and importance of hackers has been at the
center of almost every great civilization.  Homer appreciated a good
hack; Jesus did not.  Zorba the Greek and Roger Bacon were good
hackers.  Hacking certainly antedates computing and might antedate
mankind.

I doubt that it is reasonable to put a specific number on the bit
equivalent of human memory.  How many bits does it take to ride a
bicycle?  If you want to discuss how many bits a person can recall
then it might be easier, but remember, a lot of memorizers don't
have full random access.

Memory is really strange stuff.  An acquaintance of mine is
dyslexic, but has an eidetic memory and can remember several pages
of a book and then struggle through reading them hours later.  I do
this with sounds.  Often when I can't understand something I had
just heard I find that repeating the sounds out loud will make the
words understandable.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Feb 1983 1711-CST
From: Clive Dawson <CC.Clive@UTEXAS-20>
Subject: Texas Legislature to consider a Computer Crime Law

Texas State Rep. Lloyd Criss from Galveston has introduced a bill
which will add a new category of computer crime to the Texas Penal
Code.  The bill is currently in committee.

A transcription of this bill, together with a news release and
summary, can be found at the end of this message.  (I understand
that some recent changes to the bill will raise some of the offenses
listed as Class B misdemeanors to Class A.)  What bothers me most
about this bill is its definition of a "computer system".  If the
bill passes in its present form, somebody could theoretically be
prosecuted for erasing the memory of my microwave oven or even for
pushing one of the buttons on my digital watch.

I'd like to suggest a better definition, but coming up with one is
not easy.  If you have any comments on the bill, particularly about
how a computer system should be defined FOR PURPOSES OF THIS BILL,
please send me mail at Clive@UTexas.

Thanks,

Clive

                   Texas House of Representatives

NEWS RELEASE                            FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
December 15, 1982                       GREG ENOS  (512) 475-5749

Today's computer whiz kids may be  less likely to group up into
tomorrow's computer criminals if a bill introduced by State
Representative Lloyd Criss is approved  by the  68th  Legislature.
Criss  has  prefiled a  package  of computer related bills including
a  computer crimes law.  "These bills  are designed to catch  state
law  up with  the advances  in technology,"  Criss said.

Criss' House Bill 193 adds a new  category of computer crimes to the
Texas Penal Code.   "Computer crimes  cost American  government and
business  an estimated $1.5 billion last year," Criss  said.  He
noted that the  average computer crime loss  is $500,000 compared
to $3,200 for  the average  bank robbery. "Many  kinds of  computer
abuse  would be  extremely difficult  to prosecute under existing
penal statues  written before  the microchip  was invented," Criss
said.  House Bill  193 also empowers the Attorney  General to
assist  local  prosecutors  and  law  officers  in  investigating
and prosecuting computer crimes.

House Bill 66  by Criss  would apply  the state sales  tax to  the
sale  of computer programs.  "Sales tax on computer programs is a
perfect example of how law  often  lags  behind technology,"  Criss
said.   "The  Comptroller collected sales  tax on  computer programs
until the  Texas Supreme  Court ruled in 1976  that programs are
intangible and so  exempt from the  tax." "So now  no tax  is
collected  on  millions of  dollars worth  of  computer programs and
records and  cassettes,"  Criss said.   "This  is not  a  tax
increase  but  rather  an  instance   of  the  Legislature
correcting   an unfortunate judicial decision."

Criss' house bill 114 specifically defines computer programs as
goods under the Texas Commercial Code.  "This will extend legal
protection to consumers and especially businesses  who contract  to
buy  computer programs,"  Criss said.

Criss predicts his computer package will be supported by banking,
insurance and business groups.  "Those people depend  on computers
and will want  the legal protection my bills provide," Criss said.

                        -------------------------

                           BILL ANALYSIS

House Bill 193                                          By:  Criss

Background Information:

     Considering  the  great  reliance   of  government  and
business   on computers, the potential  for criminal  abuse of
computers  is great.   The U.S. Chamber  of Commerce  estimates that
losses resulting  from  computer crime amount to $100 million per
year.  One study states that the  average proceeds from a computer
crime are $450,000 while the average bank  robbery results in a
$10,000 loss.  Eleven states have adopted computer-crime laws.

Problems the bill addresses:

     Many computer crimes can be prosecuted under existing laws
relating to theft, fraud, etc.  However, certain crimes such as
unauthorized access  or destruction of  data do  not  fall easily
into traditional  categories  of crime.  For example, students  at a
New England  prep school recently  used their school's computer and
a telephone to penetrate the computer  memories of several  Canadian
insurance  companies.  Millions  of dollars  worth  of information
was  destroyed.  Had  such a  crime occurred  in Texas,  it  is
doubtful any  convictions  would have  resulted.   Local law
agencies  and prosecutors typically lack the training  and
experience to investigate  and prosecute technically complicated
computer crimes.

How H. B. 193 solves the problem:

   H. B.   193 clarifies  the  Penal Code,  making virtually  all
computer crimes prosecutable.   H. B.  193  also empowers  the
Attorney  General  to assist local law enforcement agencies and
prosecutors in the  investigation and prosecution of computer
crimes.

Section by Section Analysis:

     Section 1.  Amends Title 7 of the  Penal Code by adding a new
Chapter 33 which:
        1.  defines terms
        2.  makes access of a computer system for a fraudulent
            purpose a  class A misdemeanor
        3.  makes breach of a computer security system a class B
            misdemeanor
        4.  makes unauthorized or harmful access of a computer
            system a class B misdemeanor
        5.  makes intentional interference with a computer system a
            class B misdemeanor

     Section 2.   Amends Article  4410b  of Chapter  4, Title  70,
Revised Statutes, mandating the Attorney  General to assist  local
agencies in  the investigation and prosecution of computer crimes.
     Section 3.  Act takes effect September 1, 1983.
     Section 4.  Emergency clause.

                     -------------------------

                       A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

                               AN ACT

relating to the creation of offenses involving computers.

      BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:

        SECTION 1.  Title 7, Penal Code, is amended by adding
Chapter 33 to read as follows:

                    Chapter 33.  COMPUTER CRIMES

            Sec. 33.01  DEFINITIONS.   In this chapter:

                (1)  "Computer  security   system"  means  the
personnel, procedures, computer  software,  equipment,  or other
means  used  by  the operator of a computer system to restrict
access to a computer system,  its software, and its services to
authorized users.

                (2) "Computer  software" means  instructions or
statements that permit a computer system to perform a useful
function.

                (3) "Computer system" means a device or set of
devices that stores data in an intangible form, or that, in response
to instructions  or data given to it, analyzes data, converts data
from one form into  another, or produces new data.

                (4) "Computer system services"  means providing  or
using a computer  system to perform work of value, allowing another
person to use a computer system, or storing, analyzing, converting,
or producing data  on a computer system.

                (5) "Operator," with  respect to a  computer system,
means the person who manages, controls, or  directs the operation
and use of  the system.

             Sec. 33.02  ACCESS FOR FRAUDULENT PURPOSE.

        (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally uses or
allows another to use a computer system for the purpose of devising
or executing a scheme or artifice  to obtain  property or  services
with  intent to  avoid payment for the property or service.

        (b) In  this  section,  "property"  and  "service"  have
the  same meanings as are given those terms in Section 32.01 of this
code.

        (c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

              Sec. 33.03.  BREACH OF SECURITY SYSTEM.

        (a) A person commits an  offense if, without the effective
consent of the operator of the computer system, he intentionally:
                (1) uses  a computer  system in order to breach a
                    computer security system;
                (2) breaches a computer security system; or
                (3) gives information concerning a computer security
                    system to another person.

        (b)  An offense under this sections is a Class B
             misdemeanor.

            Sec. 33.04.  UNAUTHORIZED OR HARMFUL ACCESS.
        (a) A person commits an offense if he:
                (1) users a computer system in a manner  not
                    permitted  to him by the operator of the system;
                    or
                (2) without the effective  consent of the operator
                    alters, damages, or destroys a computer system,
                    computer software, or data contained or provided
                    by a computer system.

        (b)  An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

          Sec. 33.05.  INTERFERENCE WITH COMPUTER SERVICE.

        (a) A person commits an  offense if, without the effective
consent of the operator of the computer system, he intentionally
interferes with or interrupts computer  system  services  to one
authorized  to  receive  the services.

        (b)  An offense under this section is a class B misdemeanor.

        SECTION 2.  Chapter 4,  Title 70, Revised  Statutes, is
amended  by adding Article 4410b to read as follows:

        Art.  4410b.   ENFORCEMENT  OF  COMPUTER  CRIMES
PROVISIONS.   The attorney  general  shall  assist  state  and
local  law  enforcement   and prosecuting agencies  in  informing
computer  users  of the  provisions  of Chapter 33, Penal Code, and
in investigating and prosecuting violations  of Chapter 33, Penal
Code.

        SECTION 3.  This act takes effect September 1, 1983.

        SECTION 4.   The importance  of this  legislation and  the
crowded condition of  the calendars  in  both houses  create  an
emergency  and  an imperative public necessity that the
constitutional rule requiring bills to be read on three separate
days in each house be suspended, and this rule is hereby suspended.

End of HUMAN-NETS Digest