Date: 22 Dec 83 19:13:07 PST (Thursday)
From: Ron Newman <Newman.es@PARC-MAXC.ARPA>
Subject: New Generation computing: Japanese and U.S. views (2 msgs)

from Japan:

  "It is necessary for each researcher in the New Generation Computer
technology field to work for world prosperity and the progress of
mankind.

  "I think it is the responsibility of each researcher, engineer and
scientist in this field to ensure that KIPS [Knowledge Information
Processing System] is used for good, not harmful, purposes.  It is
also necessary to investigate KIPS's influence on society concurrent
with KIPS's development."

  --Tohru Moto-Oka, University of Tokyo, editor of the new journal
"New Generation Computing", in the journal's founding statement (Vol.
1, No.  1, 1983, p. 2)

and from the U.S.:

  "If the new generation technology evolves as we now expect, there
will be unique new opportunities for military applications of
computing.  For example, instead of fielding simple guided missiles or
remotely piloted vehicles, we might launch completely autonomous land,
sea, and air vehicles capable of complex, far-ranging reconnaissance
and attack misssions.  The possibilities are quite startling, and
suggest that new generation computing could fundamentally change the
nature of future conflicts."

  --Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, "Strategic Computing:
New Generation Computing Technology: A Strategic Plan for its
Development and Application to Critical Problems in Defense," 28
October 1983, p. 1

My juxtaposition of quotations is intended to demonstrate the
difference in priorities between the Japanese and U.S. "next
generation" computer research programs.  Moto-Oka is a prime mover
behind the Japanese program, and DARPA's Robert Kahn is a prime mover
behind the American one.  Thus I consider the quotations comparable.

To put it bluntly: the Japanese say they are developing this
technology to help solve human and social problems.  The Americans say
they are developing this technology to find more efficient ways of
killing people.

The difference in intent is quite striking, and will undoubtedly
produce a "next-generation" repetition of an all too familiar
syndrome.  While the U.S. pours yet more money and scientific talent
into the military sinkhole, the Japanese invest their monetary and
human capital in projects that will produce profitable industrial
products.

Here are a couple more comparable quotes, both from IEEE Spectrum,
Vol.  20, No. 11, November 1983:

  "DARPA intends to apply the computers developed in this program to a
number of broad military applications...
  "An example might be a pilot's assistant that can respond to spoken
commands by a pilot and carry them out without error, drawing upon
specific aircraft, sensor, and tactical knowledge stored in memory and
upon prodigious computer power.  Such capability could free a pilot to
concentrate on tactics while the computer automatically activated
surveillance sensors, interpreted radar, optical, and electronic
intelligence, and prepared appropriate weapons systems to counter
hostile aircraft or missiles....
  "Such systems may also help in military assessments on a
battlefield, simulating and predicting the consequences of various
courses of military action and interpreting signals acquired on the
battlefield.  This information could be compiled and presented as
sophisticated graphics that would allow a commander and his staff to
concentrate on the larger strategic issues, rather than having to
manage the enormous data flow that will[!] characterize future
battles."
    --Robert S. Cooper and Robert E. Kahn, DARPA, page 53.

  "Fifth generation computers systems are exptected to fulfill four
major roles: (1) enhancement of productivity in low-productivity
areas, such as nonstandardized operations in smaller industries; (2)
conservation of national resources and energy through optimal energy
conversion; (3) establishment of medical, educational, and other kinds
of support systems for solving complex social problems, such as the
transition to a society made up largely of the elderly; and (4)
fostering of international cooperation through the machine translation
of languages."
    --Tohru Moto-Oka, University of Tokyo, page 46

Which end result would *you* rather see?

/Ron

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 83 20:23:00 PST
From: A. N. Onymous <Unknown@SU-Score.ARPA>
Subject: A Unix nightmare

Forwarded-by: David D. Levine

Last night I dreamed that the Real World had adopted the "Unix
Philosophy."

I went to a fast-food place for lunch.  When I arrived, I found that
the menu had been taken down, and all the employees were standing in a
line behind the counter waiting for my orders.  Each of them was
smaller than I remembered, there were more of them than I'd ever seen
before, and they had very strange names on their nametags.

I tried to give my order to the first employee, but he just said
something about a "syntax error."  I tried another employee with no
more luck.  He just said "Eh?" no matter what I told him.  I had
similar experiences with several other employees.  (One employee named
"ed" didn't even say "Eh?," he just looked at me quizzically.)
Disgusted, I sought out the manager (at least it said "man" on his
nametag) and asked him for help.  He told me that he didn't know
anything about "help," and to try somebody else with a strange name
for more information.

The fellow with the strange name didn't know anything about "help"
either, but when I told him I just wanted to order he directed me to a
girl named "oe," who handled order entry.  (He also told me about
several other employees I couldn't care less about, but at least I got
the information I needed.)

I went to "oe" and when I got to the front of the queue she just
smiled at me.  I smiled back.  She just smiled some more.  Eventually
I realized that I shouldn't expect a prompt.  I asked for a hamburger.
She didn't respond, but since she didn't say "Eh?" I knew I'd done
something right.  We smiled at each other for a little while longer,
then I told her I was finished with my order.  She directed me to the
cashier, where I paid and received my order.

The hamburger was fine, but it was completely bare... not even a bun.
I went back to "oe" to complain, but she just said "Eh?" a lot.  I
went to the manager and asked him about "oe."  The manager explained
to me that "oe" had thousands of options, but if I wanted any of them
I'd have to know in advance what they were and exactly how to ask for
them.

He also told me about "vi," who would write down my order and let me
correct it before I was done, and how to hand the written order to
"oe".  "vi" had a nasty habit of writing down my corrections unless I
told her that I was about to make a correction, but it was still
easier than dealing directly with "oe."

By this time I was really hungry, but I didn't have enough money to
order again, so I figured out how to redirect somebody else's order to
my plate.  Security was pretty lax at that place.

As I was walking out the door, I was snagged in a giant Net.  I
screamed and woke up.

--
David D. Levine (...decvax!tektronix!tekecs!davidl)      [UUCP]
                (...tekecs!davidl.tektronix@rand-relay)  [ARPA]

------------------------------

Date: 7 Dec 1983 08:15-PST
From: COMPORT@USC-ISI
Subject: Interesting Info
Originally-From: NAVEUR @ DCA-EMS

Comment: Because of the general interest in home computers, the
"attached" message from CAPT Kletter, TRI-TAC, Ft. Monmouth, NJ, is
forwarded for your information.

The Nov 7, 1983 edition of the InfoWorld magazine has a review article
on the Zenith Z-100.  They give it a high rating.

Ed
Forwarded message(s):

1.  On 3 October 1983, the Air Force and Navy awarded a joint contract
to Zenith Data Systems to purchase the Z-100 series microcomputer
system.  The contract is for 6000 systems in FY-84 with two one-year
extension options.  Each year also carries an option to purchase 25%
over the base amount.  The Z-100s are now considered the Air Force
standard small computer system.

2.  As background information, Zenith won out over 31 other bidders
and was NOT selected on the basis of cost.  There were 17 bidders that
met the basic specification requirements, but Zenith was selected
because its "package" was considered to be technically superior and
outperformed other systems in a live functional test demonstration.
As it turned out, the ZFG-121-32 was also the lowest cost system.

3.  During the first Air Force Small Computer Conference, Mr. Moffet,
President of Zenith Data Systems, announced that Zenith will make the
Z-100 available through an association of Government employees.
Members of the association will be allowed to purchase the ZFG-121-32
(all-in-one) system and all other line items on the contract at the
same price negotiated by the Government.  These are the constraints:
     a.  Purchaser MUST be a Government employee and a member of the
         association.
     b.  The system MUST be sent to the purchaser's HOME address at
         his expense.
     c.  Only ONE system a YEAR can be purchased.
     d.  Computer purchasers are being assessed an additional $10
         processing fee by GEA for each order.
     e.  Computer systems MUST be shipped motor freight ($56-$79)
         due to weight --over 50 pounds-- (appears to prohibit
         any overseas delivered orders).
     f.  Orders for accessories, software, etc. that weigh less
         than 50 pounds are being shipped through United Parcel
         Service ONLY.
     g.  Zenith will not ship software without a Sublicense Grant
         form being signed by the purchaser.

4.  The price of the ZFG-121-32 includes the Zenith catalog ZF-120-22
with 192K RAM, a package of 10 5 1/4" disks,CP/M-85 Operating System,
BASIC-80 interpreter, Diagnostic Software and Technical Reference
Manual.

5.  For further information on this program, contact G.E.A.,
    P O Box 2405, Arlington, VA 22202

End of HUMAN-NETS Digest