Date: 9 March 1984 1800-pst
From: Jerry Bakin    <Bakin @ HI-MULTICS>
Subject: Employee Environments
Cc: Bakin @ HI-MULTICS, WORKS @ RUTGERS

I am trying to change the "Standard Cube" where I work on the basis
that it is too small, provides insufficient resources, and hence
depresses employee productivity.

To prove this, I am trying to write a small research paper showing the
effects of certain resources on worker productivity.

I have only one small problem:
          I know nothing about this.

I have developed two lists to help me, a list of questions I would
like to answer, and a list of places to look for answers.  I would
like to include these two lists here, and ask for the net response.
Any other questions that need to be answered?  Any more places to look
for responses?  Do you know of any specific studies (hopefully
supportive) that respond to these questions.  While I have a vested
interest pertaining to software engineering, I am looking for any
information that is available.

While I would also like to know what the standards are at your company
is, I would first like to make a standard machine analyzable
questionaire which I hope to post to the net in two weeks.

Of course, a summary will be posted in human-nets, but don't expect
one soon.  Also, I would appreciate mail sent to:

 Bakin @ HI-Multics

In all of this I am trying to show that Maximum Productivity does
imply a need for employee comfort.

List of Questions to be examined:

 o  What is Productivity?
 o  What is Efficiency?
 o  How are creature comforts taken into place in
        Productivity and/or Efficiency?
 o  What is the Productivity Equation?
 o  What is the Efficiency Equation?
 o  How much floor space is needed per employee for maximum
        Productivity/Efficiency?
 o  How much unoccupied floor space?
 o  How much table/desk space?
 o  How much clear table/desk space?
 o  How much storage space? (bookshelves, filing cabinets)

 o  What questionaires have been designed for these studies?
 o  What questions should be included in such studies?

 Software Engineering adds the following Questions:

 o    How much computing power per engineer?
 o    How many engineers per terminal?
 o    How much table space near each terminal?
 o    What kind of hardcopy power?
 o    Power of Terminals?
 o    How should terminals be arranged?  Terminal Rooms, or A Terminal
          on every Desk?

List of Places to Look for Answers: (Note how blank these are, do you
                                     know where I should look for
                                     these?)

Productivity Studies:         (Where would I find these?)

Human Factors Studies:                     ""

Quality of Work Life Studies:              ""

Work Station Justifications:               ""

Are there studies specific to:

    Engineers?                             ""
    Software engineers?                    ""

Okay, where would YOU begin?

Jerry.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 10 Mar 84 15:24:17-PST
From: Lynn Gold <G.FIGMO@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Read times in presentations
To: US.JFA%CU20B@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA

Funny you should mention this...I'm working on a film project in which
I'll be shooting crt screens and printer output for a class out here.
I was once given the following formula which I intend to use:

Time yourself as you read the passage slowly out loud to yourself.
Add 3-5 seconds to that time, depending on how much information is on
display (i.e., if it's less than five words, go on the light side; if
it's a screenful of credits, go on the heavy side), or just count to
four.

Ideally, you want the info to stay on the screen long enough for
people to read it, but not so long that they get bored.  When in
doubt, you're better off making them wait, rather than causing them to
lose information.

Good luck!

--Lynn

------------------------------

Date: 12-Mar-84 18:40 PST
From: William Daul  Tymshare OAD  Cupertino CA  <WBD.TYM@OFFICE-2>
Subject: Bell's National Security Group In Operation
To: TELECOM@MIT-MC
Cc: weeks@ames-vms, ARC.TYM@OFFICE-2

>From MICROWAVE SYSTEM NEW (Feb. 1984)

The Central Services Organization of the seven Bell Regional Holding
Companies said that its National Security and Emergency Preparedness
(NS/EP) Group, located in Washington D.C., is now operating to meet
the nationwide telecommunications planning and response needs of the
Bell companies.

In order to meet NS/EP requirements after the split-up of the Bell
System the federal court agreement requires that the company establish
and maintain a centralized communications group as a single point of
contact for all national security and emergency preparedness matters,
Marvin Konow, director of the group said.

The group will advise and provide coordination to the Bell Operating
Companies (BOCs) in the development of national security and emergency
preparedness technical standards and nationwide telecommunications
planning.  An emergency alerting and respone center has been formed to
alert the BOCs in the event of an emergency or crisis, the
spokesperson said.  The group will also participate in national
industry-wide groups sponsored by the government to coordinate
emergency and crisis communications activities and nationwide network
planning.

End of HUMAN-NETS Digest