[fa.human-nets] HUMAN-NETS Digest V7 #84

human-nets@ucbvax.ARPA (12/21/84)

From: Charles McGrew (The Moderator) <Human-Nets-Request@Rutgers>

HUMAN-NETS Digest        Friday, 21 Dec 1984       Volume 7 : Issue 84
                     [Ed. Note: Happy Christmas!]

Today's Topics:
         Computers and People - "Snagging" your Phone Line &
                     "Idea Processors" (3 msgs) &
                             CDs vs books,
          Information - Papers on 'Programming in the Large'

Date: Wednesday, 19 Dec 1984 07:44:52-PST
From: goutal%parrot.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Subject: two corporate nasties

Can barely type this, I'm so upset.

Just got a call from one of those book clubs
with whom I've been doing business for about a year.
After a live introduction, a taped message came on
and informed me that I was past due and then went on
to give some 800 numbers to call to straighten things out.
Fine.  Soon as I got the number, I hung up,
thinking to call them right away.  (Why wait?)
No such luck!  When I lifted the receiver again,
instead of a dial tone, there was that tape yapping away.

I had heard that it was possible to snag somebody's line
by calling them up and just never hanging up,
but when I tried this when I first heard it several years ago
the system just broke the connection no matter who hung up first.
I just assumed that it was a bug that had existed at some point
that had been fixed before the rumour got to me.

Can anyone explain what's going on here?
I don't mind taped messages if they're truly informational
(such as this one and the ones from Sears to tell me my order is in),
but to usurp my line is outrageous!  What if I had a fire?

Second item in same story:
Finally was given my line back.  Called them up, a little peeved.
However, made best effort to be nice and just inform them that it
was a 'mere' oversight and that they'd have their money soonest.
But before I was allowed to tell them, "What's your account number?"
"Beats me.  It's upstairs.  I'm downstairs.  This is where your
machine called me."  "Well, I need your account number."  I hung up.

Called right back, thinking, well, I'll tie up their line (an 800
number, so no cost to me, right?) for a while.  Same story, of course.
I told the lady "I've got a name, and it's unique across the United
States!"  (True, to the best of my knowledge.)  "If you can't do
anything without my account number, it's because you've got a
STUPID PROGRAMMER!"  Sure enough, "All right, what is your name?",
tappity tappity tap tap beep!  "Our records show..."  And so on.
So, next time some clerk gives you that b--- about needing an account
number, consider rejecting it as fact, making sure to place the blame
not on the clerk (or the machine) but on the programmer or the DP
department.  It could well be just a line.

(Now as long as the sheriff doesn't show up at my door anytime soon,
I'm all set.)

Anyway, can anyone explain about how they hung up my line,
what that ability is a function of, is there a bug in the switching
software somewhere along the line, can it be legal, can it be fought,
can it be worked around?

-- Kenn Goutal

Wed 19-Dec-1984 10:46 EST

------------------------------

Date: 17 December 1984 03:08-EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject: Personal Assistants -- a skeptical viewpoint
To: ihnp4!utzoo!henry @ UCB-VAX

Dear sir--oh, my very dear sir.  Is NOTHING going to cheer y ou
up?  Can the micro revolution do nothing to help you?

Oh, well.

For me, I keep remembering what a joy Electric Pencil was after
typing millions of words on a Selectric; and while nothing that
has come after Pencil has been the quantum step up that Pencil
was in 1977, there has been steady improvement.  Computers make
my life simpler.  (Well, actually more complex; but I get more
done, and spend more of  my time doing that which I LIKE
doing...)
        I wish you as well, some day.
JEP

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@Berkeley
Date: 18 Dec 84 13:03:55 CST (Tue)
To: POURNE@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: Re: Personal Assistants -- a skeptical viewpoint

> Dear sir--oh, my very dear sir.  Is NOTHING going to cheer y ou
> up?  Can the micro revolution do nothing to help you?

Nope, I'd rather be grumpy and play Devil's Advocate.  Bah.  Humbug.
(Who is that odd fellow with the chains coming through my wall...?)

> For me, I keep remembering what a joy Electric Pencil was after
> typing millions of words on a Selectric; and while nothing that
> has come after Pencil has been the quantum step up that Pencil
> was in 1977, there has been steady improvement.  Computers make
> my life simpler.  (Well, actually more complex; but I get more
> done, and spend more of  my time doing that which I LIKE
> doing...)

I have similar memories of encountering computerized text editing for
the first time, back in 1972.  I've never written anything substantial
on a typewriter since, and have no wish to.  I do appreciate the vast
improvement computers have brought, and the continuing improvements in
the situation.

What I do dislike is sales hype, or the equivalent, which claims that
innovation X is going to bring about Nirvana here on Earth in just a
few years.  I.e., Real Soon Now.  (Yes, I read and enjoy your column
in Byte.)  In particular, the next time somebody tells me that applied
AI and/or the Fifth Generation is going to solve all my problems, I
think I'm gonna throw up.  The AI folks are notorious for exuberant
promises followed by failure and disillusionment.  I would have
thought they, of all people, would be a bit more cautious about
predicting the Millenium yet again.  Nope, same old snake oil...

What I should have made clearer, in my earlier note, was that I do
expect some very interesting byproducts from the inevitable failures.
I have no quarrel with anyone who merely predicts significant advances
and the appearance of useful new tools.  This cloud is indeed likely
to have a silver lining, even though it's not going to be solid
platinum as its proponents claim.

                           Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

------------------------------

Date: 20 December 1984 00:46-EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
To: ihnp4!utzoo!henry @ UCB-VAX

Ah well, I suppose I must agree regarding the hype.
As to AI: there is a famous story.
John McCarthy some years ago is said to have bought a Heathkit
television for the Stanford AI lab.  When it arrived a student
eagerly fell upon it, but was restrained.
        "We will construct a robot to build the kit," McCarthy
is said to have said.
        Last I heard the box was unopened.
        The story is probably apochryphal][sp?] but I do recall
the Great Foreign Language Translation Revolution predicted in
the 60's...

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@Berkeley
Date: 18 Dec 84 00:31:57 CST (Tue)
Subject: longevity of paper

>      There  is an additional incentive for the changeover to CD's
> in the case of archival material such as big libraries of current
> and old books and journals.  It has only recently been recognized
> that  wood  pulp paper chemically self-destructs  after  about  a
> hundred years,  reducing itself to dust.  This raises the specter
> of losing our archives for the past hundred years.  Cheap compact
> discs  and  optical readers could solve this problem...

Using a better grade of paper accomplishes the same thing, and
probably does it rather more cheaply, albeit without some other
advantages of digital storage.

> It  would
> also  vastly  reduce  the need for enormous  buildings  to  house
> libraries.

No argument there.  There are other such applications, too.  I believe
the US Patent Office has been pushing for laser-disk storage for a
long time.  I would observe, though, that one Compact Disk is not a
lot smaller than one paperback book.  Clearly the win is getting
multiple documents on one disk.  This is reasonable for archiving, but
the things are unlikely to come that way from the publishers.

Date: 19 December 1984 21:22-EST
From: Steven A. Swernofsky <SASW @ MIT-MC>
Subject: [feblowitz%gte-labs: forwarded]

Date: 12/19/84 02:30:08
From: feblowitz%gte-labs at CSNET-RELAY
Date:     Thu, 13 Dec 84 17:53 EST
From:     "Mark Feblowitz"@csnet-relay.arpa,
          "GTE-Laboratories." <feblowitz%gte-labs@csnet-relay.arpa>,
          mdf0%gte-labs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
To:       Arpanet-bboards@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject:  Call for Papers: Wrkshp on Environments for Programming-
Subject:m in-the-Large

                                CALL FOR PAPERS

                        Workshop in Cooperation with ACM
               SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENTS FOR PROGRAMMING-IN-THE-LARGE
 GTE Laboratories, Inc.                  Harwichport, MA (Cape Cod)
                                         June 10-12, 1985

 The engineering of Software Development Environments for interactive
 software construction has recently made dramatic strides forward.
 This workshop will address the next step in the design of
 environments -- support for the special needs of very large scale
 applications in all phases of the software life-cycle.  Topics of
 interest include: design of modifiable environments, generic support
 for methodologies, requirements specification and prototyping, change
 control and consistency management, transformation techniques,
 formalisms for integrating phases of the life cycle, program-design
 languages, wide-spectrum languages, software information databases
 and others as they apply to the special needs of programming-in-
 the-large.

 Workshop

 The workshop will provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and
 experiences among researchers and practitioners active in the
 relevant areas.  An informal atmosphere is intended to encourage the
 emergence of new perspectives.  For the sake of these goals,
 attendance will be limited to 60-70 selected applicants representing
 a broad spectrum.

 Conference Chairman
   Thomas Cheatham, Harvard University

 Program Committee
   Lori Clarke, University of
      Massachusetts
   Larry Druffle, Rational Systems,
      Inc.
   David Leblang, Apollo Computers,
      Inc.
   Naftaly Minsky, Rutgers University
   Thomas Ostrand, Siemens Corporate
      Research, Inc.
   Jay Ramanathan, Ohio State
      University
   Warren Teitleman, Sun Microsystems,
      Inc.
   Pamela Zave, AT&T Bell
      Laboratories, Inc.
   Stanley Zdonik, Brown University

 Local Arrangements Chairman
   Barbara Moore, GTE Laboratories

 How To Apply

 Two categories of submission are solicited:

 1. Position papers: Not more than five double-spaced typed pages
    summarizing the author's research or project and how it relates to
    the workshop theme.  (These papers will not be published.)

 2. Papers for publication: Approximately 15-25 double-spaced typed
    pages, presenting the author's work with emphasis on its new and
    significant aspects.  The selected papers will be published in the
    workshop proceedings.

 Please send 4 copies of a position paper or 4 copies of the draft of
 a paper for publication to:

 Barbara G. Moore
 GTE Laboratories
 Software Environments Workshop
 40 Sylvan Road
 Waltham, MA 02254

 Submission Deadline:
      January 15, 1985
 Notification of Acceptance:
      March 20, 1985
 Camera-ready Paper Due:
      April 20, 1985

 Authors of accepted papers will be required to sign a form granting
 permission for the paper to be published in the workshop proceedings.
 Proceedings will be distributed at the workshop and may be purchased
 later from GTE.

End of HUMAN-NETS Digest