[fa.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V6 #1

sf-lovers (07/02/82)

>From JPM@Mit-Ai Fri Jul  2 03:50:40 1982

SF-LOVERS Digest         Thursday, 1 Jul 1982       Volume 6 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:
             SF Movies - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,
             SF Books - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,
              Spoiler - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Date: Tue Jun 29 00:44:06 1982
From: decvax!watmath!jcwinterton at Berkeley
Subject: TWOK - enough, please.

        There has been enough discussion of this topic to last all of
us for a life time.  In fact, lately most of the discussion has been
on motion pictures.  Anyone noticed that ACE seems to be indulging in
a Randall Garrett festival?  Does anyone read books anymore?  John
Winterton at watmath!jcwinterton

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jun 1982 (Tuesday) 0933-EDT
From: PUDER at Wharton-10 (Karl Puder)
Subject: Wooden Kirk?

 Did anyone else notice how many times someone asked Kirk "how do you
feel Jim? "?  It seems like they heard the critics picking on
Shatner's acting and decided to demonstrate that Kirk has feelings by
\asking/ him.

------------------------------

Date: 21 June 1982 09:20 edt
From: CLJones.Multics at MIT-MULTICS
Subject: tWoK: Kahn vs. Khan?

It is certainly quite true that the title of the movie has the name
spelled "Khan", and I was annoyed at seeing the constant misspelling
in SFL.  However, Ias the name
spelled "Khan", and I was annoyed at seeing the constant misspelling
in SFL.  However, I looked in James Blish's adaptation of "Space Seed"
in the anthology 'Star Trek 2', and he had it spelled as "Kahn".  I
guess this is another example (albeit a small one) of an inconsistency
between the movie (excuse me, motion picture) and TV versions of ST.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jun 1982 1712-EDT
From: DD-B <DYER-BENNET at KL2137>
Subject: SFL contribution

( Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest V5 #70 )

(Reed.ES at PARC-MAXC) On Khan versus Kahn -- I looked up the name in
the Blishelization of Space Seed to come up with Kahn.  It surprised
many of us, as we thought we'd seen it as Khan in the movie.  Blame
Blish, we went out of our way to check up on it.

[ Khan is traditionally spelled KHAN, not KAHN.  The latter is perhaps
  an attempt at an angloization of the original spelling.  -- Jim ]

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1982 0851-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: Mister Saavik

"Mister" is the standard form of address for cadets at military
academies.

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 82 11:51:26-EDT (Mon)
From: Earl Weaver (VLD/VMB) <earl@BRL>
Subject: Saavik

I like Saavik.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 1982 1443-PDT
From: Paul Dietz <DIETZ at USC-ECL>
Subject: Roddenberry movie rumors

That's right, the original idea was to have the Enterprise encounter
god.  At one point, Bones would use one of those marvelous hand held
diagnostic things on him, and announce "He's dead, Jim!".

This may explain why the title was originally "Sartrek: The Motion
Picture".

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, July 1, 1982 1:43PM
From: Jim McGrath (The Moderator) <JPM at MIT-AI>
Subject: SPOILER WARNING!  SPOILER WARNING!

All of the remaining messages in this digest discuss some plot details
in both the movie and the book Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.  Some
readers may not wish to read on.

------------------------------

Date: 16-JUN-1982 16:49
From: TSC::COORS::VICKREY
Subject: For the record . . . .

Chekov was the first officer of the Reliant, not the captain as was
stated in a recent extended discussion on this list.

How come Chekov and Khan recognized each other, as "Space Seed" was
first season and Chekov didn't appear until the second?  Well,
according to the book, he was on the Enterprise at the time of "Space
Seed", doing night watches.

And finally, Khan is NOT Kahn, but KHAN!

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1982 10:00 PDT
From: kolling at PARC-MAXC
Subject: ST:TWOK bloopers

1. "I'll bet the movie-makers knew all along that Chekhov didn't come
on board until after the Kahn episode."  Sure, after all, "Chekhov"
must have remembered if no one else did.

2. "it is hard to believe that [the computer] wouldn't have remembered
that Khan had been exiled in that system".  It states in the book that
Kirk specifically didn't record this info in the computers, so that no
one would be tempted to free Khan (or some similar reason, I forget
exactly what).

------------------------------

Date: 15-Jun-82 1:17PM-EDT (Tue)
From: David Miller <Miller at YALE>
Subject: ST-TWO-k               Remember...

                   ***************SPOILER***********

   This gives away plot details of Star Trek III "In Search Of Spock"

Well of course  I'm not  sure that  this is  really what  is going  to
happen, but then  a did  predict that a  certain Sithian  Lord had  an
abandoned child on  Tatooine within  two weeks of  "Star Wars"  coming
out.

What is the possible reason for having a genesis machine in the  movie
when a  super-bomb  would have  been  just as  good,  and a  lot  more
believable?  Why to enable Spock's body to be recreated from his  dead
corpse of course.   But what good  is Spock's body  without his  mind?
True, but what better  place to hide Spock's  mind then in along  with
McCoy's consciousness.   We've  seen  it before  in  the  "Never  fear
Sargon's here"  episode, where  Spock  spent half  the show  in  Nurse
Chapel's mind.

    Proof:
       "He's not really dead Jim, not as long as we remember him."
    That is McCoy's last line in the movie, and I don't think it was
    an accident.  Reactions??
                                --Dave
                                (miller@yale)

------------------------------

Date: 28 June 1982 15:18 edt
From: York.Multics at MIT-MULTICS (William M. York)
Subject: "remember" what?

Perhaps it is no accident that Spock chose the doctor to mind meld,
and that McCoy will "remember" something critical about Vulcan
physiology or psychology at the appropriate time in the next movie.

------------------------------

Date: 28 June 1982 14:21-EDT
From: Daniel F. Chernikoff <DFC at MIT-MC>
Subject: Star Trek II: Why they needed a lifeless planet for the
Subject: genesis device

I got the impression, from conversations among the Genesis scientists
and the Star-Fleet officers that were hunting out the planet (Checkov
et al) that since this was the first planet-scale test of the Genesis
device, they wanted to use a completely lifeless planet to PROVE that
it would create life out of lifeless matter.  Not so much that it
wouldn't work with a life-full planet, or that it was immoral -- it
would just throw the results of the experiment into doubt.

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1982 2030-PDT
From: Bill <YEAGER at SUMEX-AIM>
Subject: ST: TWOK

The other interesting point concerning the newly created planet is
that Khan's molecules were floating around when it was formed. What
effect will this have on the newly created life forms(including
Spock's)?

Also, from all that we've read here (the recent interview with Nimoy
and Shatner) and from what I've read elsewhere, Spock will indeed be
back for STIII, even if he has to wait until "1994!"

Bill

------------------------------

Date: 24-Jun-1982
From: AL LEHOTSKY AT METOO
Subject: Star Trek II

If you haven't seen ST2 - tWoK yet, drop whatever you're doing and go
see it!

While it does have a few minor flaws (both in technology and in
military matters), it's a solid movie with an engrossing plot.

--- (Spoiler Warning??) ---

On the "flaws", can anyone think of a justification as to why the
ships are so close when they are firing on one another?  In the first
battle-scene, I was half-expecting Khan and a boarding party to come
"swarming over the gunwales, cutlasses in hand....".

Also, how did Chekhov manage to survive the "earwigs"?  Khan said that
some large number of his group (20?) had been killed by the larvae.
But Chekhov managed to survive.  I suppose you could chalk it up to
superior medical treatment by McCoy....

------------------------------

Date: Mon Jun 28 23:41:40 1982
From: decvax!watmath!bstempleton at Berkeley
Subject: Star Trek - Spoiler

On the radiation suit idea:

        The Enterprise escapes the effect with a fraction of a second
to spare - they would have died if he had put on a suit.  Spock did
the only logical thing - either he would die with everybody or he
would die alone.

In my opinion, that planet must be the one that was outside the
nebulosity.  Formation of a sun and planet is just too much.  After
all, if you trust the sfx, the genesis effect spread almost as fast as
a star ship at warp speed, and latched on to the first planet it could
find.

Complete transfer of all of Spock's mind in 1/3 of a second into
McCoy?  Are you kidding???
  Brad

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1982 11:59 EDT
From: Stevenson.WBST at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: SF-LOVERS Digest   V5 #71

        "When Spock went into the radiation chamber, why didn't
        he wear a protective suit? ... why weren't there waldoes
        available?" -- Paul Karger at RDVAX

Well, I assume Spock didn't have time to properly put on and seal a
radiation suit in the <4 minutes he had to fix the warp drive.  I do
agree, though, that by the 23rd century (even with some setbacks from
the wars of the late 20th and early 21st centuries) there should have
been waldoes capable of doing such work.  (In the paperback, it's said
that there was a robot to do repairs, but it had already been put out
of action by radiation damage or something.  (What? no backup
robot?!?!))

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1982 20:01 PDT
From: SJohnson.ES at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Spoiler Warning - ST:TWoK (SF-Lovers #71 & #72)

PAUL KARGER AT RDVAX asked,

"When Spock went into the radiation chamber, why didn't he wear a
protective suit?  Such suits have existed since the 1940's, and surely
would have been made better by the 23rd century.  Why wasn't such a
suit kept for emergency purposes.  Alternately, why weren't there
waldoes available?  Again - 1940's technology."

You seem to be assuming that the radiation was NUCLEAR. Perhaps this
new radiation can only be cut off by a material which can not be made
flexible enough for a garment. As for waldoes, there just wasn't
enough time.

>From ihuxi!otto (George Otto) at Berkeley,

"In the original TV episode of Star Trek (or was it in the pilot that
was turned into the two-episode show: Menagerie) the science officer
was a woman identified as "Number One."  Audience reaction to this
character was not positive."

It was indeed the first ST pilot (there were two), which was shown to
network officials. THEY decided that the public would not accept
Number One, not a TV audience. In fact, they also thought that the
Spock character was a bad idea, until viewers made it clear that he
was one of the show's major attractions. You speak of decisions made
by "Roddenberry & Company". How much involvement did Roddenberry have
in this movie ?  I thought I heard sometime back that he had sold his
rights to ST over to Paramount (I know, I know, his name is on the
credits. But "Executive Consultant" (or whatever) sounds like some
legal technicality to me, not an active contribution).

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 1982 0142-EDT
From: Gene Hastings <HASTINGS at CMU-20C>

        Why do they show the crew readying a coffin BEFORE the battle?
Or is that thing I saw something else?

                                        Gene Hastings

[ What they were readying before the battle was a photon torpedo.
  Spock's body was placed in the casing of a torpedo for launching
  into space.

Date: 28 Jun 1982 0851-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>

Date: 28 Jun 82 11:51:26-EDT (Mon)
From: Earl Weaver (VLD/VMB) <earl@BRL>

I like Saavik.

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1982 20:01 PDT
From: SJohnson.ES at PARC-MAXC

PAUL KARGER AT RDVAX asked,

Date: 25 Jun 1982 0142-EDT
From: Gene Hastings <HASTINGS at CMU-20C>

        Why do they show the crew readying a coffin BEFORE the battle?
Or is that thing I saw something else?

                                        Gene Hastings

[ What they were readying before the battle was a photon torpedo.
  Spock's body was placed in the casing of a torpedo for launching
  into space.  -- Jim ]

End of SF-LOVERS Digest