[fa.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V6 #33

sf-lovers (08/10/82)

>From JPM@MIT-AI Tue Aug 10 10:11:01 1982

SF-LOVERS Digest         Thursday, 5 Aug 1982      Volume 6 : Issue 33

Today's Topics:
                        SF Fandom - CHICON IV,
      SF TV - HHGttG & Dr Who & Dark Star,  SF Movies - Lifepod,
  SF Books - Here's the Plot...What's the Title & Pride of Chandur &
             Windhaven & Lensman Series & Stanislaw Lem,
                    Humor - Genderless Video Games

Date: 6 August 1982 01:11 edt
From: Schauble.Multics at MIT-MULTICS
Subject: Worldcon query

Anyone here from the Chicago worldcon who can answer a question about
site selection? Please respond directly to me.
                Thanks,
                Paul

------------------------------

Date: 5 Aug 1982 15:24:55-PDT
From: ihuxl!ignatz at Berkeley
Subject: Chicagoans on CHICON IV

Hi there. I'm Dave Ihnat; this fellow next to me is Doug Price. How
you doing ,eh?  As we're sure you're all aware, CHICON IV is fast
approaching.  Specifically, Sept. 2-6. It has occurred to the two of
us that the net would be a good way to accept queries, gripes, etc.;
answer questions, disseminate the latest & greatest, etc. concerning
the con. In fact, Doug is on the official publications editorial
staff, and we both know & have access to the Powers That Be for
Chicon. Not necessarily always have influence, but access.

So, perhaps some information. If you already know all this, be
patient; there are still some poor souls who don't.

CHICON IV is the World Science Fiction Convention for 1982. It will be
at the Hyatt-Regency Chicago, Thursday, Sept. 2 thru Monday, Sept. 6,
1982--essentially the Labor day weekend. Hotel room rates are somewhat
variable, depending upon which hotel you get. Double-doubles are hard
to come by at the Hyatt, but otherwise there's still a lot of room
left at the Hyatt and others. You can't apply through the Convention
bureau anymore, however--our reserved blocks are no longer being held.
Thus, contact your hotel of choice directly. (This shouldn't be a
problem; we suggest trying the Hyatt first, since all functions of the
convention are being held there, and you'll find most parties there,
as well. Of course, if you're not particularly a party animal,
then...but then, why did you come...eh? Enuf.) Room rates depend on
which hotel and what you get, but in general run *about* $70.00 for a
double- double, $50.00 for a double, and $40.00 for a single. (These
are *excellent* rates for downtown Chicago, by the way--Magnificent
Mile, don't you know.  For instance, a single at the Hyatt is normally
$98.00/nite.  If you've any questions--other hotels, exact rates,
etc.--feel free to MAIL either one of us a message; we'll answer
pronto. Really.

As for the convention, I hope you all planned ahead. The rates just
recently took their last jump-- to $70.00 dollars for the whole thing.
And, sadly, there are *no* one-days. *sigh*. However, all is not
bleak; they're pro-rating the cost on a day-by-day basis, such that if
you show up a day or two late, you only pay for the remaining days.
What? Oh...ok. Here's Doug...eh?

That's not peanuts for membership. But you're not getting peanuts,
either.  For instance, over three tracks of programming will be
running every day of the convention.  That's three (or more) possible
topics, discussions, interviews, etc. running at once for you to
choose from!  There will be scads of professional writers and editors
to sign your first-editions and to do readings from their own works.
They'll even answer your questions. ("Gee, Mr. Ellison, do you
*really* throw fans down elevator shaf--aaaaaughh.....")("Geee,
Ike--er, Mr. Asimov--where do you get all your ideas??")  There's also
an Art Show (note the capitals) in which you can bid on pieces ranging
from Foglio to Sternbach.  The Huckster Room will have 250 tables of
booksellers, media material, photographs, gamer's materials, etc. etc.
The Film Rooms will have two tracks of the newest and the oldest, the
best and the worst films you have ever seen!  An additional track of
video programming will be presented as well.  This doesn't even cover
the Masquerade, the Hugo awards ceremony, and on and on (and on).

And, if you're really crazy, you can help us pull this whole thing
off...as a gopher.  There are certain advantages; you get to rub
elbows with the Pros, meet the Doers and Shakers (Shakers?  I thought
they died out!?)(shaddup Dave!)

Anyway. Dave back. Enuf, already. If you have anything we can help
with, just mail to either one of us--electronic addresses follow. If
you need detailed stuff--from flyers to progress reports--and it's too
much to send over the net, or you like the feel of wood pulp, send a
SASE (Self Addressed, Stamped Envelope) to the Committee, and they'll
get it out to you *fast*.  (Probably even if it isn't stamped, but
then don't hold your breath...)

So, in closing, come on in and let us show you our town!

                                Trust me!

                                Dave Ihnat or Doug Price
                                ihuxl!ignatz ihuxl!ihima!dhp

        OR

                                CHICON IV
                                P.O. Box A3120
                                Chicago, IL 60690

------------------------------

Date: 5 Aug 1982 1931-EDT
From: John R. Covert <RSX-DEV at DEC-MARLBORO>
Subject: HhGttG not planned in Boston

It seems WGBH has no plans to show HhGttG.  I called today and spoke
to someone in "programming" who apparently had only heard of the radio
show.  Obviously the people who answer the phone are not the ones who
make the decision, but she did say that she had noted my comments and
that they would see if they got many more calls.  The number is
492-2777.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Aug 1982 1304-PDT
From: Douglas Galbraith <ICL.GALBRAITH at SU-SCORE>
Subject: Re: SF-LOVERS Digest   V6 #30

Is Dr. Who being shown on any San Francisco TV stations? It sounds
interesting.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Aug 82 13:54:39-EDT (Thu)
From: Richard G Turner <rturner.xls-onyx02@UDel-Relay>
Subject: Dark Star

According to my local tv guide, DARK STAR, will be shown on WDCA, in
the Washington, DC area, at 1:30 PM, this Saturday, Aug 7, 1982.

                                        -rick

------------------------------

Date: 3 Aug 1982 02:19:54-PDT
From: decvax!duke!uok!uokvax!mwm at Berkeley
Subject: Micros in the Movies

I just finished watching a rather interesting film called `Lifepod,'
all about a manic organic computer controlling a Jupiter-bound ship,
and the responses of various people to it taking over the ship (does
that make sense?). Lifepod is apparently running on independent
stations, and is worth seeing if you get the chance.

The interesting part was the computer control system for the lifepod.
The display was rather obviously an Apple II. They used a jittery
display of a BASIC program as `information,' and were running the
SubLogic A2-FS1 flight simulator for a landing sequence. Also of note
was the HLTA light on the Imsai going on as an indicator for an
impending landing.

I'm just curious as to why I hadn't heard of the thing before now,
seeing as how it was made in 1980.

        mike

------------------------------

Date: 2 Aug 1982 at 1023-CDT
From: ables at UTEXAS-11 (King Ables)
Subject: here's the plot...

>From a friend of mine:

Here's the plot what's the title - A group of scientists searching for
life on other worlds via radio communication picks up some signals and
decodes them. In the message are instructions for building a machine
of unknown properties.The rest of the book (I think) deals with
whether they should actually build the thing and what will happen if
they do.
   I seem to remember that this book was discussed on SF-LOVERS about
six months ago but I couldn't locate the article. Any hints?

                        Steve Alexander c/o ables@utexas-11

------------------------------

Date: 6 Aug 1982 0318-PDT
From: Dolata at SUMEX-AIM
Subject: Pride of Chandur

C.J. Cherryh (how does one pronounce that???) has done it again!
Robbed me of sleep, and set my household to buzzing.  I bought 'Pride
of Chandur' shortly before a deadline, and ended up sitting up 2 hours
past my bedtime to finish it.  My wife came home late to dinner
because she was reading the book in her office and lost track of the
time, and our house-mate lost it on the bus in mid-read and went right
out and plunked down $3+ to get another copy.

I felt the ending was a little weak, but all in all the book is
gripping enough that I would recommend it to somebody who wants an
exciting read.  The plot is nice, a here-to-fore unknown alien species
(human) is found slinking around the docks on a space station.  He is
adopted by a buncha cats ( the chandur) who flit across space to keep
him out of the hands of aliens that have the lovable attributes of
wharf-rats.  Lots of chases, shoot-em-ups and close calls.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Aug 1982 1650-EDT
From: Joseph M. Newcomer <NEWCOMER at CMU-20C>
Subject: Windhaven

Windhaven: "The Fall" was actually published in Amazing about a year
or so ago.  I had mostly given up reading Amazing because of the
generally low quality of the stories (and the typorgraphy/layout was
annoying too), but I was stuck in an airport and had read everything
else I had brought along.  Most of the filler was new for the book,
but the material subsequent to "The Fall" might also have been
published in Amazing or some other place.  Has anyone else possibly
seen some?
                                joe

[ The section entitled "Storms" was originally published as "The
  Storms of Windhaven" in the May 1975 issue of Analog.  The section
  entitled "One-Wing" was originally published under that title in the
  January and February 1980 issues of Analog.  --  Jim  ]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Aug 82 00:36:42 EDT  (Fri)
From: Steve Bellovin <smb.unc@UDel-Relay>
Subject: news "Lensman" covers

Well, they're all right -- but the cover of "Second Stage Lensman"
shows Our Heroine wearing a space-suit with cleavage...

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jul 1982 1717-PDT
From: KRIEGER <KRIEGER at USC-ECLC at USC-ECL>
Subject: HELLO!

I have just found the SF-LOVERS Digest in the process of writing
documentation on MM. From a quick read-through of the contents of the
various issues, it seems that not many Stanislaw Lem fans are out
there. For those of you who are unknowing of Lem, he is the author of
SOLARIS, FUTUROLOGICAL CONGRESS, MEMOIRS FOUND IN A BATHTUB, THE
INVESTIGATION, THE STAR DIARIES, TALES OF PIRX THE PILOT, THE
CYBERIAD, MORTAL ENGINES, and RETURN FROM THE STARS. And these are
just the few of his works which have been translated into english (he
hails from Poland). I would be interested in hearing from other people
who have read Lem's books and would like to discuss them. Though I saw
some references to Hofstadter's GODEL, ESCHER, BACH, I didn't catch
any to THE MIND'S I. What do you people say about this book? I will
suspend further comments until I see some kind of response, but rest
assured I will continue to read the Digest.

------------------------------

Date: 6-Jul-82 15:06:27 PDT (Tuesday)
From: Reed.ES at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: SF-LOVERS Digest   V6 #5

PacPack. Really! I read that one in a book of Pacman jokes. Are we
about to be treated to a page-by-page repeat of this
long-since-published compendium of 'pacpuns'?

Pac to the drawing board....

        -- Larry --

End of SF-LOVERS Digest