[net.music] silly argument

malik@galaxy.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) (06/29/85)

Subj; good and bad music argument

	Doug Allen recently said that his position in the good/bad
music argument is that he thinks music which encourages 'intelligence,
creativity and compassion' is good.

	Hey, how could I be against that?

	But, do we agree on which music that is?

	Even if Doug could convince everyone on USENET that there is such
a thing as good and bad music, and that good music is that music which
encourages intelligence, creativity and compassion, we STILL won't
agree on what that means.

	Doug, what is the point of this line of argument?

							- Karl

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/30/85)

["It's a sky-blue sky.  Satellites are out tonight."]

> From: malik@galaxy.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440)

> 	Doug Allen recently said that his position in the good/bad
> music argument is that he thinks music which encourages 'intelligence,
> creativity and compassion' is good.

> 	Hey, how could I be against that?

> 	But, do we agree on which music that is?

I don't know?  Do we?  Do you think that Madonna's mindless drivel and
cliched music encourages intelligent and creative thought in anyone?
Maybe someone might hear it and go "Ick!" and therefore be inspired to go
do something that isn't complete trash, but they'd probably go do that
anyway....

Do you really think that Sheena Easton telling us "My baby takes the
morning train.  He works from nine to five and then he takes another
home again" does anyone any good?

> 	Even if Doug could convince everyone on USENET that there is
> such a thing as good and bad music, and that good music is that music
> which encourages intelligence, creativity and compassion, we STILL
> won't agree on what that means.

We could always perform a series of exhaustic sociological experiments,
whose results would be so vague that they'd prove whatever I want them
to, but we don't really need to do that, do we?  Can't we just ask
intelligent creative people what kind of music inspires them to be
that way?  Perhaps we won't agree on who the intelligent and creative
people are, but at least it's a start!

> Doug, what is the point of this line of argument?

Why, to prove that I'm better and smarter than everyone else, of course!
What other point could I have?

				"My mother made me eat boysenberries"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)