[net.usenix] announcing the availability of 4.3BSD Usenix manuals

tef@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Thomas Ferrin) (09/27/86)

                 BSD UNIX Manuals - The Next Chapter

As all members must  surely  know  by  now,  the  USENIX  Association-
sponsored  production  of 4.2BSD UNIX manuals has been an overwhelming
success.  There have now been four  separate  printings  since  April,
1984  (totaling  over  15,000  copies  of the five-volume manual set).
Membership response to the manuals has been very favorable,  including
such aspects as the new document organization (thanks to Sam Leffler),
the 6"x9" production format, and the inexpensive  pricing.   With  the
long-awaited  release of 4.3BSD now official however, a new version of
the manuals is  appropriate  as  well.   This  article  describes  the
changes  that  have  been incorporated into the new 4.3BSD manuals, as
well as details like when they will be available and  what  they  will
cost.

Nota Bene - Usenix's commitment to the 4.3BSD edition of manuals means
that  there  will  be  NO  additional printing runs of 4.2BSD manuals.
Since there are very few 4.2BSD manuals  remaining  in  our  inventory
(with  the  exception  of a few hundred UNIX Programmer's Manuals), if
you plan to order these older manuals it is imperative that you do  so
immediately.   When  current inventories of 4.2 manuals are exhausted,
no additional orders for the 4.2BSD version will be accepted.

The 4.3BSD manual sets are significantly  different  from  the  4.2BSD
edition;  changes include many additional documents, better quality of
reproductions, as well as a new and  extensive  indexing  system.   As
with  the  4.2  edition,  4.3BSD  manuals are being sold only in sets.
Pricing and ordering details are given below.

Manual Descriptions

The basic composition of the three manual sets is outlined here,  with
a  detailed  description  of  each volume's contents given later.  All
manuals are printed in a photo-reduced 6"x9" format with  individually
colored  and  labeled  plastic  ``GBC''  bindings.   All documents and
manual pages have been freshly typeset in order to provide top quality
reproduction  and all manuals have ``bleed tabs'' and page headers and
numbers to aid in the location of individual documents and manual sec-
tions.

        User's Manual Set (3 volumes)
                Volume 1, User's Reference Manual
                Volume 2, User's Supplementary Documents
                Volume 3, Master Index

        Programmer's Manual Set (3 volumes)
                Volume 1, Programmer's Reference Manual
                Volume 2, Programmer's Supplementary Documents
                Volume 3, Programmer's Supplementary Documents

        System Manager's Manual (1 volume)

While some manual sets are three separate volumes, you may only  order
complete  sets;  i.e. you cannot order a Volume 2 of the User's Manual
without also ordering Volumes 1 and 3.

Manual Contents

UNIX User's Reference Manual (URM)

     The following  sections  from  Volume  1  of  the  original  UNIX
Programmer's Manuals (UPM):  preface, introduction, table of contents,
permuted index, section 1 (commands), section 6 (games), and section 7
(miscellaneous).

UNIX User's Supplementary Documents (USD)

     This volume contains documents which supplement the manual  pages
in  The UNIX User's Reference Manual for the Virtual VAX-11 version of
the system as distributed by U.C.  Berkeley, and Volumes 2a and 2b  as
provided by Bell Laboratories:

        Getting Started
                UNIX for Beginners - Second Edition
                Learn - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX (2nd Edition)

        Basic Utilities
                An Introduction to the UNIX Shell
                An Introduction to the C shell
                DC - An Interactive Desk Calculator
                BC - An Arbitrary Precision Desk-Calculator Language

        Communicating with the World
                Mail Reference Manual
                The Rand MH Message Handling System
                How to Read the Network News
                How to Use USENET Effectively
                Notesfile Reference Manual

        Text Editing
                A Tutorial Introduction to the UNIX Text Editor
                Advanced Editing on UNIX
                Edit: A Tutorial
                An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi
                Ex Reference Manual (Version 3.7)
                Jove Manual for UNIX Users
                SED - A Non-interactive Text Editor
                AWK - A Pattern Scanning and Processing Language (2nd Edition)

        Document Preparation
                Typing Documents on UNIX: Using the -ms Macros with
					  Troff and Nroff
                A Revised Version of -ms
                Writing Papers with nroff using -me
                -me Reference Manual
                NROFF/TROFF User's Manual
                A TROFF Tutorial
                A System for Typesetting Mathematics
                Typesetting Mathematics - User's Guide (2nd Edition)
                Tbl - A Program to Format Tables
                Refer - A Bibliography System
                Some Applications of Inverted Indexes on the UNIX System
                BIB - A Program for Formatting Bibliographies
                Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs

        Amusements
                A Guide to the Dungeons of Doom
                Star Trek

Master Index

     This volume contains an extensive  index  which  cross-references
all  documents  and  manual  pages contained within all six volumes of
4.3BSD manuals.  The index was prepared with the aid of an  ``intelli-
gent''  automated  indexing program from Thinking Machines Corp. along
with considerable human intervention from  Mark  Seiden.   Key  words,
phrases  and  concepts are referenced by abbreviated document name and
page number.

UNIX Programmer's Reference Manual (PRM)

     The following sections from Volume 1 of the original  UPM:   sec-
tion  2  (system  calls),  section 3 (libraries), section 4 (devices),
section 5 (file formats).

UNIX Programmer's Supplementary Documents, Volume 1 (PS1)

     These two volumes contain documents which supplement  the  manual
pages in The UNIX Programmer's Reference Manual for the Virtual VAX-11
version of the system as distributed by U.C.  Berkeley.

        Languages in common use (other languages in Programmer's Supplement,
	volume 2)
                The C Programming Language - Reference Manual
                A Portable Fortran 77 Compiler
                Introduction to the f77 I/O Library
                Berkeley Pascal User's Manual
                Berkeley VAX/UNIX Assembler Reference Manual

        General Reference
                Berkeley Software Architecture Manual (4.3 Edition)
                An Introductory 4.3BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial
                An Advanced 4.3BSD Interprocess Communication Tutorial

        Programming Tools
                Lint, A C Program Checker
                A Tutorial Introduction to ADB
                Debugging with dbx
                Make - A Program for Maintaining Computer Programs
                An Introduction to the Revision Control System
                An Introduction to the Source Code Control System
                YACC: Yet Another Compiler-Compiler
                LEX - A Lexical Analyzer Generator
                The M4 Macro Processor

        Programming Libraries
                Screen Updating and Cursor Movement Optimization

UNIX Programmer's Supplementary Documents, Volume 2 (PS2)

        Documents of Historical Interest
                The UNIX Time-Sharing System
                UNIX 32/V - Summary
                UNIX Programming - Second Edition
                UNIX Implementation
                The UNIX I/O System

        Other Languages
                The Programming Language EFL
                Berkeley FP User's Manual
                Ratfor - A Preprocessor for a Rational FORTRAN
                The FRANZ LISP Manual

        Database Management
                Ingres (Version 8) Reference Manual

UNIX System Manager's Manual (SMM)

     This volume contains manual  pages  and  supplementary  documents
related  to  system  operation,  administration and maintenance and is
intended primarily for  system  administrators.   The  information  in
these documents applies to the Virtual VAX-11 version of the system as
distributed by U.C.  Berkeley.

        Section 8 of the original UPM

        System Installation and Administration
                Installing and Operating 4.3BSD on the VAX
                Building 4.3BSD UNIX Systems with Config
                Using ADB to Debug the Kernel
                Disc Quotas in a UNIX Environment
                Fsck - The UNIX File System Check Program
                Line Printer Spooler Manual
                Sendmail Installation and Operation Guide
                Timed Installation and Operation Guide
                UUCP Implementation Description
                USENET Version B Installation
                Name Server Operations Guide

        Supporting Documentation
                Bug Fixes and Changes in 4.3BSD
                Changes to the Kernel in 4.3BSD
                A Fast File System for UNIX
                4.3BSD Networking Implementation Notes
                Sendmail - An Internetwork Mail Router
                On the Security of UNIX
                Password Security - A Case History
                A Tour Through the Portable C Compiler
                Writing NROFF Terminal Descriptions
                A Dial-Up Network of UNIX Systems
                The Berkeley UNIX Time Synchronization Protocol

Costs

Manual prices are shown below.  This cost does  not  include  shipping
and  handling  from  New  Jersey, which will depending on the quantity
ordered and distance shipped.   Sites ordering manuals will be  billed
for postage and handling by the publisher (Howard Press).

        Manual                               Cost*
        User's Manual (3 volumes)            $25.00/set
        Programmer's Manual (3 volumes)      $25.00/set
        System Manager's Manual (1 volume)   $10.00/set

* Not including  postage  and  handling  or  applicable taxes.

Ordering

Manuals will be available on or shortly after November 1st, 1986.   To
order,  you  must  return  a  completed  ``4.3BSD  Manual Reproduction
Authorization and Order Form'' to the Usenix office along with a check
or purchase order for the cost of the manuals.  Order Forms are avail-
able in the Sept/Oct edition of ;login: (scheduled  to  be  mailed  to
members  on  September  24th-26th)  or by calling the Usenix office at
(415) 528-8649.  You must be a  Usenix  Association  Institutional  or
Supporting  member  to order manuals.  Orders will be forwarded to the
publisher after license verification has been completed, and the manu-
als will be shipped to you directly from the publisher.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/29/86)

tef@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Thomas Ferrin) writes:
>                  You must be a  Usenix  Association  Institutional  or
> Supporting  member  to order manuals.

I've been wondering what my individual membership in usenix is good for --
I can't get the tapes, I can't get the manuals, all I get is junkmail.

Is there no way for a 4.2BSD binary licensed (Sun) Unix site to get copies
of these manuals?  (I'm sure I could ask a friend at a "real company"
to get them for me, but now that I'm paying Usenix for the privilege
of membership it would be nice to debug the user group a little bit.)
I could go to any bookstore and buy System V manuals but it would feel better
to just shoot myself instead.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
		     May the Source be with you!

jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan M. Hayes) (09/30/86)

[ shuffle, shuffle ... where did I put my USENIX hat? Ah ... there
  it is ... fits pretty good ... ]

John Gilmore <gnu@hoptoad.uucp> asks:

	Is there no way for a 4.2BSD binary licensed (Sun) Unix site to
	get copies of these manuals?

See, the problem here is twofold: First, the manuals are licensed
materials -- you have to show your license to get them. So, if you,
John Gilmore, have a valid 4.3 License, you can get a set of manuals.
Since most individuals are not licensed, we usually generalize to the
Institutional members.

Second of all, you don't run 4.3 at all. You don't have a source
license -- all you have is 4.2 binary. Why do you think it costs
so much for a source license (not the actual BSD license, but what you
need to get one, i.e., sysV)?

Man, you *have* manuals -- you got them from Sun when you bought their
system. Buy a vax, buy sysV, buy 4.3 and you can get your manuals for
ony $60/set! Such a deal!

	I could go to any bookstore and buy System V manuals but it
	would feel better to just shoot myself instead.

Well ...

/jordan
{ucbvax,decvax}!usenix!jordan

ps: why would you want a set of 4.3 manuals (let alone sysV ones)
    if you run 4.2 Sun? Never mind ...

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (09/30/86)

I agree with John Gilmore here.  What good is a USENIX individual
membership if all it gives you are N copies of every UNI-OPS mailing
and an issue of ;login which these days seems to be filled with notes
of long-past board of directors meetings and little else, when the
USEFUL material (i.e. things like 4.3BSD manuals) are restricted to
institutional and "supporting" members?

At the very least, some explanation is is order here.  Is this a licensing issue
with AT&T or Berkeley?  If so, its logic escapes me and it must be something
new, for I've been able to walk off the street and purchase the USENIX 4.2BSD
manuals at the Harvard Science Center, no questions asked.  What's the
necessity of the middleman?

What are the constraints on the USENIX Association which would require
such a policy?
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

chongo@amdahl.UUCP (Landon Curt Noll) (10/01/86)

In article <412@spdcc.UUCP> dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
 >I agree with John Gilmore here.

Me too!

 >At the very least, some explanation is is order here.  Is this a licensing
 >issue with AT&T or Berkeley?  If so, its logic escapes me and it must be
 >something new, for I've been able to walk off the street and purchase the
 >USENIX 4.2BSD manuals at the Harvard Science Center, no questions asked.
 >What's the necessity of the middleman?

Heck, folks can just plunk down $'s at the CS library at Berkeley can obtain
a set of manuals.  Thats how I got my 4.2BSD set.  Has something happened
with 4.3BSD?  Why can't Usenix provide a service for folks who can't get
to Berkeley?  (or even for folks who can?)

chongo <> /\oo/\

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (10/01/86)

Re: Individuals buying manuals

From: jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan M. Hayes)
>See, the problem here is twofold: First, the manuals are licensed
>materials -- you have to show your license to get them.
>Second of all, you don't run 4.3 at all. You don't have a source
>license -- all you have is 4.2 binary.

Is this true? I don't believe it. You need a full set of licenses
qualifying you to own 4.3bsd sources just to buy a printed manual?

In the first place, as John Gilmore points out, you can walk into a
bookstore and buy a SYSV manual (actually, I've only seen V7 manuals,
but surely I don't have to show AT&T a source license to order a few
manuals over their 800 number, do I?)

In the second place, John's 4.2bsd BINARY license comes with the full
manual "sources" on-line. I therefore presume he could print them out
for himself if he were so inclined (surely he could buy a cheap laser
printer, run off a copy and drag them down to his local copy center
for GBC binding and it would all be perfectly legal, I mean for
himself or employees, not his going into the business of selling
them.) The printer etc would be a lot cheaper than a source license.

What is this lunacy? Does anyone know for sure? I've never heard of
having to own any license to purchase a printed manual, not for any
O/S. Perhaps these were the conditions under which USENIX was allowed
to sell these? Weird, maybe they should get a better lawyer.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

root@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (10/01/86)

Our 4.2 documentation says that it is copyright and can be reproduced
only under license.  Contrary to what others have said, I don't know
of many computer vendors who allow you to reproduce their manuals
without charge.  However I think that in this case the issue is not
one of charge, but of copyright control.  I believe that selling these
manuals in University bookstores to the public is technically a
violation of the license agreement.  If you check the various
licenses, you will probably find that the University is only allowed
to sell manuals to its students and employees.  This is carried out by
giving the manuals to the bookstore and instructing the manager's pet
poodle to make sure that no one other than authorized people buy the
manual.  The poodle wags its tail, and that is all there is to it.
Since it is not very pratical to check for student ID cards when
selling manuals, and nobody is damaged by having others get copies, no
one worries about any more stringent enforcement.  However there are a
set of people who if you ask them are required to say that the
restriction exists, and who if you notify them of violations may be
required to attempt to stop them (on the legal grounds that if
somebody knows that their rights are being violated and does nothing
about them, they may to a certain extent be considered to be waiving
them).  This means that if enough of a stink is made about this
subject, somebody in ATT may at the very least feel it necessary to
notify the poodle that he has not been carrying out his job.  I think
you will find that the online man pages came on a tape that says it is
copyright and refers to your binary license agreement.  That agreement
almost certainly says that you may produce copies of the documentation
only for your own use.

The problem as I understand it is that some lawyers are afraid that if
you let people reproduce and distribute things without control, you
can lose your copyright.  This can lead to practices such as vendors
asking you to place a notice on the cover saying "Only available to
Rutgers students, faculty, and staff", but not to make any attempt to
enforce it, or to license fees of $0.01 per copy (not per page -- per
copy of the entire document) for which no one bothers to issue an
invoice.  From what I know of the licensing agreements, Usenix is
correctly interpreting them.  If I were a Usenix officer, I would
continue to follow a strict interpretation of the agreements.  Usenix
might ask the relevant lawyers how much enforcement they want.
Perhaps it could be agreed that it would be enough to say in all
announcements that these manuals are available only to users at
licensed sites.  This would solve the problem of getting things to
individual Usenix members.

I will not discuss in this forum what I think of a legal system that
requires this kind of malarky.

shore@adobe.UUCP (Andrew Shore) (10/01/86)

In article <15867@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>
jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan M. Hayes) writes:
>[ shuffle, shuffle ... where did I put my USENIX hat? Ah ... there
>  it is ... fits pretty good ... ]
>ps: why would you want a set of 4.3 manuals (let alone sysV ones)
>    if you run 4.2 Sun? Never mind ...

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS ATTITUDE!  Especially from the USENIX
"technical consultant".  Can you say portable code? I knew you
could!

I might want manuals for some system I don't own so that I can
write code which will compile and run there.  I might want to
write shell scripts  which will run on 4.3BSD.  I might want to
write Unix utilities (which make system calls or use library
routines) which will compile and run on 4.3BSD.  My only chance
at doing so is having the documentation.

If this is the kind of assistance and support you get from
USENIX, go with /usr/group.  They at least are interested in
things like portability and standards.

--Andy

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (10/02/86)

>>See, the problem here is twofold: First, the manuals are licensed
>>materials -- you have to show your license to get them.
>
>Is this true? I don't believe it. You need a full set of licenses
>qualifying you to own 4.3bsd sources just to buy a printed manual?
>
>What is this lunacy? Does anyone know for sure?

I'm not *completely* sure, so maybe I shouldn't be answering at all,
but as I remember, the problem is this.  The Unix manuals are copyrighted.
My copy of the 4.2BSD manual (which is what I have handy - I rember the
same phrasing in 4.3) says

	Copyright 1979, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Incorporated.
	Holders of a UNIX(TM)/32V software license are permitted to
	copy this document, or any portion of it, as necessary for
	licensed use of the software, providing this copyright notice
	and statement of permission are included.

The Usenix Association *does not* have a license for this software.
They have an agreement with the Regents of the University of California,
specifying that Usenix is the Regents' agent for reproduction of
manuals.  This agreement specifies that Usenix may sell only to
appropriately licensed parties.  The agreement was, as I understand it,
approved by AT&T.  There are some further terms that the purchase of
manuals from Usenix entails as well.  I remember the order form having
some sort of release on it stating that the *purchaser* - in addition
to being properly licenses - designated Usenix as its *sole* agent for
reproduction of these manuals.  (These other terms may have changed,
or I may be remembering them incorrectly.  It's been a long time
since I looked at them.)

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

chapman@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Brent Chapman) (10/02/86)

In article <3815@amdahl.UUCP> chongo@amdahl.UUCP (Landon Curt Noll) writes:

>Heck, folks can just plunk down $'s at the CS library at Berkeley can obtain
>a set of manuals.  Thats how I got my 4.2BSD set.  Has something happened
>with 4.3BSD?  Why can't Usenix provide a service for folks who can't get
>to Berkeley?  (or even for folks who can?)

Several (possible) problems with that now:

A) The "CS Library" you refer to, where you used to be able to get
	manual sets and lotsa other goodies (that's where I got mine),
	has closed.  The "lotsa other goodies" have been divided up
	among several sources, now, including other campus libraries,
	the campus bookstore, and a local copy shop.  It is unclear
	what will happen about UNIX manuals.  I hope they'll end up
	at the campus bookstore, but I'm not counting on it.

B) The materials, if available, may be restricted to purcchase by
	staff/students only.  I don't think this is likely, though.

C) When I got my 4.2 set from the CS Library, I couldn't get the system
	administrator's manual.  I don't know if there is (was) a
	policy restricting such sales to students, or if they were
	simply out of the manuals.

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@cory.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!cory!chapman

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (10/02/86)

Brent, if you're talking about the CC library, then I can provide answers.

In article <419@zen.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
>B) The materials, if available, may be restricted to purcchase by
>	staff/students only.  I don't think this is likely, though.

Nope. The CC library will sell to anyone with cash or a CC accounting
number (yes, Brent, you could charge manuals to your violet account :-).

>C) When I got my 4.2 set from the CS Library, I couldn't get the system
>	administrator's manual.  I don't know if there is (was) a
>	policy restricting such sales to students, or if they were
>	simply out of the manuals.

The library made a stupid mistake. They didn't think that many people
would want them (which is probably correct - anywhere but at a large
university) and ordered hundred+ of the basic four, and 22 (count'em,
twenty two) of the administrators manuals. The CC staff immediately
got those.

	<mike

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (10/03/86)

Hmm, maybe some light is coming through...

So, basically my source license (or, as I suspect, binary license
tho I'm not sure) says I can make copies for myself and some other
folks (like staff) covered under the license agreement.

Usenix is not authorized to do this. All they are doing is acting in
the same manner as my copy center might, they are relying entirely on
*my* license to legitimize their copying of the materials.

Unfortunately, that almost makes sense (as much as the laws of man
ever make sense...)

Oh well, it does seem like someone ought to -ask- AT&T if they would
allow a release (and/or UCB, probably "and".) Was this done? At least
to the point that anyone with a Binary license could purchase them,
if not just anyone.

I still find the current situation silly (essentially, Joe Shmoe can
not legally buy a 4.x manual), but it's not the only thing...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (10/03/86)

In article <15867@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan M. Hayes) writes:
> See, the problem here is twofold: First, the manuals are licensed
> materials -- you have to show your license to get them.

WRONG, you don't need a license to obtain the manuals.  You need a
licence to have permission to copy.  It's only a fine line here.  Note
you can buy the AT&T manuals in most shopping mall bookstores these
days.

> Second of all, you don't run 4.3 at all. You don't have a source
> license -- all you have is 4.2 binary. Why do you think it costs
> so much for a source license (not the actual BSD license, but what you
> need to get one, i.e., sysV)?
Nowhere in the copywrite notices does it say you need a source license.
The copies that came with our binary system (as well as nearly every
single UNIX manaul I've ever seen) says ... "Licensees are permitted
to copy this document or any portion of it, as necessary for licensed use
of the software, provided that this copyright notice and statement of
permission are included.  Nowhere does either Berkeley or ATT mention
source.

-Ron

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (10/03/86)

I thought AT&T put the V7 UNIX manual into the public domain.
Since the 4.3BSD manual is derived from 32V->3BSD->4.0BSD->4.1BSD
->4.2BSD->4.3BSD, and since 32V was V7 for the VAX, I don't
see what all the fuss is about.  It's not like there's System III
or System V stuff in the 4.3BSD manual.

Is it a legal technicality that the V7 and 32V distributions, while
nearly identical, are legally separate?  If that's the case, perhaps
the problem could be solved by some kind soul out there who has both
the V7 and 32V tapes.  This person could diff the two on-line manuals
and apply the diffs to the 4.3 online manuals, turning a 32V derived
manual into a V7 derived manual.  (This makes technical sense; I
wonder if it makes legal sense?)

	Mark

tef@socrates.ucsf.edu (Thomas Ferrin%CGL) (10/03/86)

4.3BSD manuals are considered both copyrighted and licensed
material and pursant to the AT&T and UCB license agreements can
only be reproduced by holders of both an AT&T 32/V or System III
or System V license or sublicense AND a University of California
4.3BSD license.  When institutional or supporting members of
Usenix order manuals they sign a form declaring that they do
indeed hold the necessary licenses and that they appoint Usenix
Association to act as their agent in reproducing manuals for
them.  You must be a institutional or supporting member of
Usenix because Usenix Association must verify that you do indeed
have the license(s) you say you do and "license verification" is
one of the benefits of being an institutional or supporting
member.

The above details were worked out with the AT&T and University
of California lawyers before Usenix started reproducing 4.2BSD
manuals.  At that time AT&T insisted that documentation for UNIX
32/V and its derivatives was covered by the 32/V license
agreement; hence the requirement for the apparently over-elaborate
procedure described above.  The fact that Harvard or UC Berkeley
is purportedly selling 4.2BSD manuals to anyone who walks into
their bookstores is their business.

It can be argued that "times have changed", since System V
documentation is no longer tied to a AT&T System V license or
sublicense, and that Usenix Association should again explore the
legal issuses with both AT&T and UCB regarding restriction of
circulation for 4.3BSD manuals.  While this option is being
considered and the potential legal issuses worked out, however,
the current 4.3BSD manual distribution arrangements must remain
in effect.

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (10/05/86)

I don't think anyone was expecting that an electronic outcry would by itself
change the USENIX Association's 4.3BSD manual distribution policy.  On the
other hand, when one can freely purchase 4.X BSD manuals, presumably illegally,
in college bookstores and the similar V7 and System V documents in mass-market
outlets, it's definitely worth asking what purpose is being served by the
current policy.

Maybe there can be a report on the negotiations with AT&T and Berkeley in an
upcoming ;login: issue?
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
{linus,wanginst,bbnccv,harvard,ima,ihnp4}!spdcc!dyer

mike@hcr.UUCP (Mike Tilson) (10/05/86)

There have been a number of complaints about the fact that the Usenix printing
of the 4.3BSD manuals is only available to Usenix members holding verified
4.3BSD software licenses, since this means ordinary individuals can't buy
a copy.

As a former member of the Usenix Board of Directors, I was around when the
original 4.2 manuals were printed by Usenix.  I believe the situation is
very similar for 4.3 manuals today.  The situation is this:

	1.  Usenix does not own the copyright to the manuals.  The manuals
	    were derived from AT&T sources originally, with lots of stuff
	    added by the University of California at Berkeley.
	2.  Usenix wishes to provide a service to the UNIX community by
	    making the manuals available at very reasonable cost.  Usenix
	    itself has no desire to restrict circulation unnecessarily.
	3.  Usenix can only distribute this material according to the
	    restrictions imposed by the *owners of the material*.
	4.  Usenix worked very hard to overcome legal hassles just to
	    get this far.

I think there have been some unreasonable flames about Usenix;  this is
unfair since Usenix has very little control over the distribution policy
and without this service the manuals would be much harder to get than they
are now.  If you don't like the controls on manual distribution, complaints
should be directed first to the Regents of the University of California,
and second to AT&T.  I personally feel it is unreasonable to prevent
sales to individuals, but the Usenix Association did not create that
situation and shouldn't be blamed for it.  As a practical matter, given
the widespread sale of thousands of copies to hundreds of institutional
licensees, I suspect anyone who wants a copy will have little trouble
obtaining one.

(Also note that this situation is *not* the fault of the technical group
that created 4BSD.  As far as I know, they don't like it either.)

/ Michael Tilson, Human Computing Resources Corp., Toronto, Canada
/ +1-416-922-1937, {utzoo,decvax,...}!hcr!mike

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (10/06/86)

>...On the other hand, when one can freely purchase 4.X BSD manuals,
>presumably illegally, in college bookstores...

I don't think that's illegal. I think we are confusing buying the
manuals with selling them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the claim is simply that USENIX
does not have the licenses necessary to reproduce the manual.

USENIX is reproducing the manual purely on the permission granted you,
the purchaser, by your license. Like your copy center relies on when
they ask if you have the right to copy this (the copy center doesn't
need a UNIX license, does it? they just have to see the copyright
notice or license or whatever that lets you ASK them to copy this. I
realize there have been various legal wranglings over copy-centers,
but I think it all came down to that they should demand to see in
writing why you think you have a right to ask for something to be
copied.)

Thus, you are selling these manuals to your students legally as far as
I can tell, you purchased the right. If you think the USENIX copying
job is better (smaller, better bound) then you show your license and
let *them* do the copying for you.

THUS...if your bookstore or whatever takes mail orders then John
Gilmore's problem is solved, he should just call your bookstore and
order a copy and forget the USENIX limitations (tho he may still have
other issues in mind.)

Or do I still miss a point (some may think we are just masturbating
here, but more than a few of us who manage these things for large
Universities, like me, are really curious about the outcome of this
discussion, though not if it changes things in any way :-) I realize
it's not legally binding.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

dhb@rayssd.UUCP (David H. Brierley) (10/06/86)

In regard to having to show a license in order to buy a UNIX
manual, let me just add this note.  The System V manuals (both
volumes) were the selection of the month in the "Library of
Computer and Information Sciences" book club not too long ago
and as far as I know they are still listed in their current
selections list.  Are you going to tell me that if you order
the manuals they are going to call you up and ask you to send
them a copy of your UNIX license?

I realize that SysV is not 4.3BSD but my understanding of the
situation is that the main cause of the BSD licensing problems
is the fact that the BSD code is derived from the ATT code.
Therefore, if you can buy the ATT manual over the counter (or
through the mail in this case) you should be able to do the
same for the BSD manuals.

--
	Dave Brierley; Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4073
	{ allegra, gatech, ihnp4, linus!raybed2 } !rayssd!dhb