[net.games] SPOILER AND REQUEST: Adventure

hwe (04/28/83)

This comment applies to the original Stanford DEC-10 adventure, although
They all seem the same...
The ONLY unfair thing I found in adventure is how to get the 350th point
at witt's end. There seemed to be no reason for this last item, and the source
code was consulted. EVERYTHING else in the maze was found with deduction and
hard work, so I am usually displeased with all the help given to all you
young sprouts...
The last point is gotten by dropping the magazines at witt's end.
Is there some rhyme or reason to this that I have missed all these years???
				Skip Egdorf

hansen (04/29/83)

Skip, looking at the source code isn't fair at all either.
The 350th point can be deduced by carrying the "Spelunker Today" around to
the rooms nearby the original location of the magazine.  Keep asking
for the score, and you'll soon discover where the magazine belongs.
I don't think the ultimate location of the magazine is unfair;
it could quite plausibly have been misplaced by one of the dwarves employed on
the construction crew at Witt's end.  Since it's not a treasure,
you just might be expected to be courteous enough to return it.
I though the most difficult puzzle is what to do about the
mirror where someone is trying to get your attention...  8<}

Craig Hansen
HP Labs

lab (04/29/83)

Since the alice!npoiv connection doesn't want to forward mail
(I have had 4 messages returned), and since > 1 person has asked,
herewith some ideas (do you think I would be a spoiler?) to
pursue:
	Go climb a rock (there are several places with rocks you
	can climb)
	Explore at random in bedquilt

When you have found something interesting, be prepared for a
battle of wits in order to get it. Watch out for firepoles (or
equivalent). And to find your way around when everywhere looks
like everywhere else, install street signs (or equivalent).

	Larry Bickford, 1977 Adventurer Grandmaster
	(shortly after Jim Gillogly rewrote it in C)
	{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!qubix!lab

clp (04/30/83)

Regarding the rational for the last point being the magazine in Witt's End:

Having played a perfect game a few years past, I can't quite remember
 why I thought this made sense, but I did find this on my own. I think
 one reason is that the magazine mentions something about people getting
 lost or killed in a dark place and something about Witt's construction
 company. When I arrived at Witt's End and saw the construction signs
 and the fact that it was so easy to get stuck there, I made the mental
 connection, brought the magazine and tried dropping it outside, inside,
 etc... watching my score. Dropping is one of the only non-magical things
 you can do with objects anyway.

Well, I just played adventure a little to refresh my memory and discovered
 that the magazine shows up in the anteroom, right next to a big sign for
 Witt's end (another reason to try nearby rooms!). Anyway, I couldn't find
 the dwarvish dictionary (I could've sworn it was in / near Y2) to read them
 again, but I think they also mention the dark room....
							    Charles L. Perkins
						    ...decvax!genrad!wjh12!clp

russ (05/05/83)

#R:hou2b:-1100:hp-kirk:7300003:000:450
hp-kirk!russ    May  3 09:27:00 1983

****** Mirror Spoiler ********

Actually, there are two rooms where "a shadowy figure is trying to get
your attention".  This makes sense once you get past the twopit room into
the mirror room.  There's a large, *twosided* mirror hanging in midair.
On each side of the mirror you can see a window looking out at the mirror.
Come to think of it, I'll bet that the endgame of Zork was inspired by
the mirror room.
					Russ Nelson...hp-pcd!hp-cvd!russ

zz1sm (05/09/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Mon, 9-May-83 13:22:36 EDT

I also have played the 375 point Adventure game. It was a few years ago on
the Arpanet. I did it through my father's work account, and I don't remember
what machine it was on, but I do remember finding a 'leporine appendage'
(rabbit's foot) out in the woods. Does anybody know whether this version
is still available?

	Shane
	sdcsvax!sdccsu3!zz1sm