[net.music] some names to check out

ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) (06/22/85)

Some names to check out are Karlheinz Stockhausen, Morton Subotnick,
Iannis Xennakis, Gyorgy Ligeti, David Stock, John Harbison, and
Charles Wuorinen.

They all compose what you might call contemporary classical music,
and it sounds pretty weird and is wonderful for annoying ignorant
people, who usually can't stand it. Take a break from rock and
from jazz too and listen to something a little farther outside....
Upset your local record store clerk by asking for them! What's
even more fun is that you can often find fantastic albums in the
bin marked "budget classical" or "$2.00" by these and other artists.

Some record labels to look for are Nonesuch, Tomato, Columbia,
 and Composers Recording International (CRI).
 Some ensembles: the Kronos Quartet(San Francisco), the Pittsburgh New
Music Ensemble, Relache(Philadelphia), the Light Fantastic (??).

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk@cmu-cs-g.arpa
{harvard,seismo,topaz}!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-g!ckk
(412)578-8526 office, (412)362-6422 home
Center for Design of Educational Computing
Carnegie-Mellon U.
Pgh, Pa. 15213

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (06/25/85)

> Some names to check out are Karlheinz Stockhausen, Morton Subotnick,
> Iannis Xennakis, Gyorgy Ligeti, David Stock, John Harbison, and
> Charles Wuorinen.
>
> They all compose what you might call contemporary classical music,
> and it sounds pretty weird and is wonderful for annoying ignorant
> people, who usually can't stand it. Take a break from rock and
> from jazz too and listen to something a little farther outside....

I haven't heard of any of the others, but there are at least three Gyorgy
Ligeti compositions on the "2001: A Space Odyssey" soundtrack album.
I'm not into classical music at all, but I love them.  They're wonderfully
weird, and they went very well with some of the most effective scenes of the
movie.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (07/03/85)

In article <281@cmu-cs-g.ARPA> ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) writes:
>Some names to check out are Karlheinz Stockhausen, Morton Subotnick,
>Iannis Xennakis, Gyorgy Ligeti, David Stock, John Harbison, and
>Charles Wuorinen.

Also check out Edgard Varese, Andrew Imbrie and Richard Felciano.

If you feel really adventurous and want to hear some interesting
choral music, try Karlheinz Stockhausen's _Stimmung_ and Felciano's
_The Seasons_.  Both use vocal overtones extensively (the Stockhausen
almost exclusively).

>Chris Koenigsberg
>ckk@cmu-cs-g.arpa
>{harvard,seismo,topaz}!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-g!ckk

--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)
The University wouldn't dare say some of the things that I say...