[net.games] OGRE: strategies,spoilers,etc. wanted

6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (11/26/84)

(bug-kibble)

 We have just received OGRE here on sjuvax, and every strategy that I used
on the board-game version against human OGRE-operators has been ineffectual,
to say the least!
 Any advice as to how to kill the dreaded Mark III and/or Mark V OGREs will
be most gratefully appreciated.

                Thanks in advance,
         clank-clank-clank-clank-clank-clank-CRUNCH!
--

                             A. J. Rowley
                          "see, no problem!"

There is no dark side of the moon really; as a matter of fact, it's all dark....

                                    - Pink Floyd, "Eclipse"

brahms@spp2.UUCP (11/29/84)

In article <673@sjuvax.UUCP> 6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) writes:
> We have just received OGRE here on sjuvax, and every strategy that I used
>on the board-game version against human OGRE-operators has been ineffectual,
>to say the least!
> Any advice as to how to kill the dreaded Mark III and/or Mark V OGREs will
>be most gratefully appreciated.

When playing, I use the following board to win about 1/4 of the time.  I
first go for the main batteries.  After those are gone, then anything else
goes after the treads.  I use all the 1's to swam around the Ogre.

Hope this helps.  Have fun!

   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
   .   .   .   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   *   1   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   1   .   .   *   1   .   *   1   .   .   .   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   H   .   .   H   .   .   H   .   .   H   H   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   1
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   *   C
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   1
 .   .   .   .   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   1   .   .   .   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   *
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

P.S.	Thanks go to Mike Urban for telling me about this type of strategy.

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (12/02/84)

In article <673@sjuvax.UUCP> 6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) writes:
> We have just received OGRE here on sjuvax, and every strategy that I used
>on the board-game version against human OGRE-operators has been ineffectual,
>to say the least!
> Any advice as to how to kill the dreaded Mark III and/or Mark V OGREs will
>be most gratefully appreciated.

Here is my current best strategy. It also works 1/4 the time.

   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   2   .   C
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   2   .   H   .   .   *
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   M   2   .   .   .   .<
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   H   .   .   *   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   *   2   2   .   2   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   H   .   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   H   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   2   2   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   *   M   2   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   *
 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *
   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   *   .   .   .   .

A little synopsis (spoiler):

	- The first howitzer takes care of the Ogre's missile: it shoots one
down one and is itself zapped by one.
	- The other howitzers take the main batteries (usually one shot) and
the secondary batteries (often the hardest part).
	- Infantry are most useful in distracting the Ogre, leading it off
and buying precious shots at the secondary batteries and treads.
	- The missile tanks are most effective after the secondary batteries
are gone, since before that the Ogre easily removes them.
	- If you haven't fixed the oscillation bug (I posted a fix already),
the Ogre often gets caught going back and forth between the position marked
'<' and its left neighbor. Then its easy to win. Even with the bug "fixed",
the Ogre often loses a couple of moves in that pocket (a local minimum ??).

Have fun.
					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan

johnsi@lasspvax.UUCP (John Sievers) (12/03/84)

SPOILER---SPOILER---SPOILER---SPOILER---SPOILER---SPOILER---SPOILER---SPOILER

I have noticed that the game seems unbalanced toward smaller, faster moving
GEV's rather than large, non-moving howitzers.  I was fooling around with
these two possibilities the other day and noticed that when I set up a
battle-field of howitzers the Ogre either ignored them and made a break for
the base or it simply walked up and crushed them.  I then tried a strategy
of only GEV's.  I put all my GEV's in a line 1 square back from the closest
I could go to the left hand side of the screen (so the Ogre couldn't immediately launch it's missiles).  I then quickly moved around behind the Ogre and
attempted to take out it's missiles.  By staying behind the Ogre or vertical to
it, I could attack it and then move far enough away for it to ignore the GEV's.
I then had all my infantry way back by my base so that I the Ogre would be
really hurting by the time it encountered them and I could concentrate on the
treads.
                                                     -John Sievers

--
...The last bug in sight,
   one small ant passing by,

cornell!lasspvax!johnsi

drforsey@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Forsey) (12/04/84)

The use of GEV's and Howitzers does not seem to be a good approach,
especially against the Mark 5 ogre, what's your kill ratio?

I place roughly 60% of my armour as Missle tanks to form a spearhead
near the center of the board, these are backed by heavy tanks and
flanked by infantry (mostly 1 & 2's).

When the ogre appears the spearhead breaks to form a classic
pincer movement as the armour moves out to flank the surmised path
of the ogre buffered by infantry which both engages and encirces.

The missle tanks, with their greater range, take out the main batteries
and then work on the secondaries and missles (if there are any left), at
which point the heavy tanks move in from behind to aid in the attack.

I haven't lost a game in a while, the ogre, (even the mark 5) usually
doesn't make it past the middle of the board.

In the best game to date, the ogre (Mark 5) had lost all of its weaponry and
had not gotten half-way across the board, while the defenders had
4 heavy tanks, 4 missle tanks, and 7 units of infantry left.

David Forsey
Computer Graphics Laboratory,
University of Waterloo, Canada.