[net.games] hack rings

eugene@utcsrgv.UUCP (Eugene Kligerman) (01/07/85)

Does anybody out there know what many of the rings (as well as scrolls & wands)
do?
For example, what do the rings of conflict & warning do?  Are there cursed
rings in hack as well as in rogue?

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (01/09/85)

Here is a short note on Hack rings.  As in rogue,
bad rings are cursed, and good rings are
removable, but there are two exceptions:

(1) Any rings the wizard starts with, no matter
how bad they are, are not cursed.

(2) Any rings picked up from a ghost's inventory,
no matter how good they are, may be cursed
(stick to your fingers).

Many of the rings can be identified by using them,
although there is always the risk of getting stuck.
It's particualryl valuable to find these rings
early in the game: regen, teleport, teleport
control, poison resistance.

NEUTRAL??
Adornment: maybe does nothing.

CURSED:
Hunger: makes you eat more food.
aggravate monster: they wake up and come for you.
teleportation: makes you teleport.  A "cursed" ring
   but actually a good ring in many cases.

COULD BE GOOD (+) OR BAD (-):
gain strength: strength + or minus 1 or 2 (?)
protection: AC plus or minus.
increase damage: damage plus (or minus?)

GOOD:
cold resistance, fire resistance, poison resistance:
    just what they sound like.
conflict: If you are near several wild monsters, they
    will fight each other rather than you.  A great ring!
levitation: like the potion.
protection from shapechangers: You can see the chameleon
    for what it really is.
regen: regain 1 hp per "move".
searching: tendency to find traps, doors, mimics, lurkers.
see invisible: yup.
stealth: tendency to be able to approach monsters without
    having them react.
teleport control: Whenever you teleport wearing this
    ring, it asks you where you would like to go.
    You move the cursor to the location onscreen of
    your shoice, and usually wind  up there!  A
    great ring.
teleportation:  At random intervals, jsut when you didn't
    want to, you teleport.
warning: Apparently glows when a monster approaches you.
    The darker it glows, the tougher it will be to fight
    this particular monster.

 NOTE TO HACK REVISIONISTS: Sugegstions for more rings:

 Invisibility (should use extra food).

 Confusion: but shouldn't make you confused all the time,
 maybe 10% of moves.

 Affinity: Enables you to tell which monsters that you can
 see are tame, without costing you any time.

 Serendipity: Warns oyu when you are on a level with a
 vault, shopkeeper, or wild dog.

 Changes (cursed): anything you hit does a shapechange.

 Amnesia (Cursed): You sufer amnesia every time you step in a
 doorway.

 Resistance: Wearing this ring cause the following scrolls
 to have no effect: destroy/blacken armor/weapon, punishment.

 Vulnerability (Cursed): these rings make you particularly
 likely to be struck by a particular type of monster
 (determine randomly for each ring).

 Value: Any shopkeeper will pay 3000 zorkmids for this ring.
  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuqui Q. Koala) (01/10/85)

>Does anybody out there know what many of the rings (as well as scrolls & wands)
>do?
>For example, what do the rings of conflict & warning do?  Are there cursed
>rings in hack as well as in rogue?

The ring of conflict causes any multiple number of monsters in a room to
beat each other up instead of you. Nice for a band of orcs or killer bees.
Warning is a cursed ring, and it seems to be a limited aggravate monster.
Anything in the room seems to automatically wake up when you enter, but it
isn't level-wide.

chuq
--
From the ministry of silly talks:		Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Now look here Mister "I'm not just a word processor"...

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (01/12/85)

> From: chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuqui Q. Koala)

>> (From somebody at utcsrgv -- lat)
>> Does anybody out there know what many of the rings (as well as
>> scrolls & wands) do?
>> For example, what do the rings of conflict & warning do?  Are there
>> cursed rings in hack as well as in rogue?

> The ring of conflict causes any multiple number of monsters in a room to
> beat each other up instead of you. Nice for a band of orcs or killer bees.

Yeah.  I've also used it to lure monsters too tough for me into a shop.
Once you get the monster in, wear the ring and let the shopkeeper beat
on him.
--
It's getting lonely around here...
{ihnp4 hao ucbvax!nbires}!stcvax!lat			Larry Tepper