[net.games] Hack Trouble

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Daniel Bidinger) (01/04/85)

   How do you shoot something with a

			1. deathray

					     2. fire wand
					     3. sleep ray

								 etc......

									 WITHOUT HAVING IT BOUNCE BACK AND KILL YOU!!!!!!!!

											  Dan ( The Man ) Bidinger

rob@ark.UUCP (Rob van Leeuwen) (01/06/85)

In article <633@cbosgd.UUCP> dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Daniel Bidinger) writes:
>   How do you shoot something with a
>			1. deathray
>			2. fire wand
>			3. sleep ray
>				 etc......
>
>	 WITHOUT HAVING IT BOUNCE BACK AND KILL YOU!!!!!!!!

Simple.  Just make sure the the ray's path doesn't reach you.  A wand
bounces at every wall it encounters, and the length of its path is
about 12.  So don't let the distance between you and the poor monster
be less than say six.
--

					Rob van Leeuwen
					..!mcvax!vu44!botter!ark!rob

iv@trsvax.UUCP (01/07/85)

Re:

   /***** trsvax:net.games / cbosgd!dpb /  4:13 am  Jan  4, 1985 */
   How do you shoot something with a

		1. deathray
		2. fire wand
		3. sleep ray
				 etc......

	 WITHOUT HAVING IT BOUNCE BACK AND KILL YOU!!!!!!!!???
   /* ---------- */

You have to sort of play pool with your wands.  Most wands  I've  seen
will only bounce two or three times, so you must shoot your wand at an
angle which does not reflect back at you.

	Example:

		---------
		+.../\..|
		|../..\.|
		|./....\|
		|/......@
		|\......|
		---------

Note in this example that the bolt just  hit  walls.   Strange  things
happen  if  you fire so that you hit a door way.  Also note that it is
possible to hit more than one monster with one bolt.

The situation you want to avoid is where your angle of incidence is 0,
that is, firing directly into a wall or corner.  Examples:

		---------			-------
		+.......|			+..../|
		|.......|			|.../.|
		|.......|	- or -		|../..|
		|.------@			|./...+
		|.......|			|@....|
		---------			-------

Enjoy!

				IV  (aka John Elliott IV)
				Tandy Systems Software; Fort Worth, TX
				... {convex!ctvax,microsoft}!trsvax!iv
				... cu-arpa.trsvax!iv@Cornell.ARPA

hether@qtlon.UUCP (Heather Dyer) (01/10/85)

Make sure you are diagonally placed w.r.t. the monster, eg:
    ------
    |.r..|
    |..@.|
    +....|
    |....+
    ------
is a safe place for using deathray wands etc, but:
    ------
    |r...|
    |....|
    +..@.|
    |....+
    ------
is not because it would bounce straight back from the corner at you.
Also make sure that it won't bounce onto the dog, of course!! (And, by
implication, if it would bounce onto a second monster, so much the better).

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (01/11/85)

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>    How do you shoot something with a
>
> 			1. deathray
>
> 					     2. fire wand
> 					     3. sleep ray
>
> 								 etc......
>
> 									 WITHOUT HAVING IT BOUNCE BACK AND KILL YOU!!!!!!!!
>

> 											  Dan ( The Man ) Bidinger

The wands you mention have a range of about 9 to 12, so don't fire them at a
wall that is closer than about 7.

					Ray

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (01/15/85)

()
Has anyone noticed that the shopkeeper takes pains to keep out of
your direct line of fire?  Smart buggers, those shopkeepers.

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron