[net.games] Naming Dogs

play@turing.UUCP (01/14/85)

hether@qtlon writes:
> Beware of naming dogs. Without a name, hack will refer either to
> a 'little dog' which doesn't attack L's or N's, a 'dog' which
> attacks L's but not N's, or a 'large dog' which attacks both L's and N's.
> It does NOT say 'little Fido', 'Fido' and 'large Fido'
> (a bug?? certainly a bothersome feature).

Well, I do not think you lose significant information by naming your dogs.
On one hand, if your dog was little the last time he was mentioned, he may
have grown in the meantime and unexpectedly attack a Leprechaun.
On the other hand, if you have named your dog Fenris and the occasion arises
where you are interested in its size, just use the 'C' command again, and
you will get the question "What do you want to call the large dog called
Fenris?" - telling you that it has grown large. (You just answer the
question with a return.)

People will object that using the 'C' command takes a turn. True.
This is not without reason, although the appropriate thing might be
one third of a turn or something like that.
(If you can't see why, think for example about how easy fighting an
invisible stalker would become if 'C' were for free.)

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (01/15/85)

I just wait until the little dog becomes a large dog, and
then name him.  If I get killed before then, I don't care.
--
It's getting lonely around here...
{ihnp4 hao ucbvax!nbires}!stcvax!lat			Larry Tepper