[net.games] Steeling from shopkeeps in hack

ivan@cbosgd.UUCP (Ivan Summers) (12/30/84)

I only know two ways to steel from shop keeps.
1.Kill him(which is very unlikely)
2.Have you dog walk through the shop and he will take stuff for you and them leave and your dog will start dropping things.

Is there any other way?

Ivan

albert@harvard.ARPA (01/01/85)

> I only know two ways to steel from shop keeps.
> 1.Kill him(which is very unlikely)
> 2.Have you dog walk through the shop and he will take stuff for you and them leave and your dog will start dropping things.
>
> Is there any other way?
>

> Ivan

The third way I know of is to read a scroll of teleportation
from inside the shop.

David

ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert

notis@ttds.UUCP (Petter Notstrand) (01/02/85)

	Yes, as a matter of fact I know of yet another
	way of handling shopkeepers;

	Use a wand, either a very powerfull one such as
	cold, fire et c, or a teleport wand, and "play
	billiards", using the walls to direct the ray at
	the greedy shopkeeper. (He is clever enough not
	to stand in your direct line of fire.)

	You could probably polymorph him, too, but then
	you run the risk of ending up with something
	a lot more agressive...

	By the way, has anybody out there been able
	to lay hands on a crysknife?

	/NPN

dave@tekigm.UUCP (David J. Holland) (01/03/85)

<eat it!>

I have found that one way to steel in hack is to keep picking up
those scrolls and reading them until you get a teleport. I got a
load of magic items that way. You can also test rings, wands, and
potions and the store keeper will not bother you until you try to
leave.

lazarus@sunybcs.UUCP (Daniel G. Winkowski) (01/04/85)

> I only know two ways to steel from shop keeps.
> 1.Kill him(which is very unlikely)
> 2.Have you dog walk through the shop and he will take stuff for you and them leave and your dog will start dropping things.
>
> Is there any other way?
>

> Ivan

My favorite is to just teleport out. (assuming of course the propper scoll or
ring.)

Another possibility is to make another exit with the wand of digging, though
I haven't tried this.
--
--------------
Today we live in the future,

hether@qtlon.UUCP (Heather Dyer) (01/04/85)

I see no-one but myself has tried zapping a shopkeeper with a wand
of polymorph......
You can also use a wand of digging to create a new tunnel out of the shop.

Wands of polymorph work rather well with ghosts too.

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Daniel Bidinger) (01/06/85)

> 	Yes, as a matter of fact I know of yet another
> 	way of handling shopkeepers;
>
> 	Use a wand, either a very powerfull one such as
> 	cold, fire et c, or a teleport wand, and "play
> 	billiards", using the walls to direct the ray at
> 	the greedy shopkeeper. (He is clever enough not
> 	to stand in your direct line of fire.)
>
> 	You could probably polymorph him, too, but then
> 	you run the risk of ending up with something
> 	a lot more agressive...
>
> 	By the way, has anybody out there been able
> 	to lay hands on a crysknife?
>
> 	/NPN

	 I have only once killed  a shopkeeper. Used a wand of polymorf and turned    him into an Orc.  But i turned a mimiic into a Xorn and he killed me.

huisjes@vu44.UUCP (Michiel Bernardinus Krotjes) (01/07/85)

In article <616@cbosgd.UUCP> ivan@cbosgd.UUCP (Ivan Summers) writes:
>I only know two ways to steel from shop keeps.
>1.Kill him(which is very unlikely)
>2.Have you dog walk through the shop and he will take stuff for you and them leave and your dog will start dropping things.
>
>Is there any other way?
>

>Ivan

I suggest you use a wand of polymorf to change the shopkeeper into a monster
which is somewhat easier to kill.

Michiel Huisjes

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Daniel Bidinger) (01/08/85)

> I see no-one but myself has tried zapping a shopkeeper with a wand
> of polymorph......
> You can also use a wand of digging to create a new tunnel out of the shop.
>
> Wands of polymorph work rather well with ghosts too.

   I have used a polymorph on a shopkeeper before
   turned him into a Orc and killed him.

    Didn't know you could zap a ghost with one though

alien@gcc-opus.ARPA (Alien Wells) (01/09/85)

There is a much more 'elegant' way to regularily rip off shops.  Here it is.

1) Kill a Leprechaun.  This isn't so hard as it seems.  Find a sleeping L,
go outside the room, drop your gold, move to the door, wake the L with an
arrow (moving slightly away from the door if needed), fight him at the doorway.
Since you have no gold, he will not steal it and teleport away.  You may end
up having to chase him down, but he is always on your level.

2) Hopefully get a body and eat it (go back to 1) if you did not).  I discovered
that eating the body of a L puts you into a mode where you periodically teleport
around.  This is occasionally annoying, but it can be an aid in exploring.  In
particular, it lets you rip off shops and sometimes will teleport you into the
vault!

3) Find a shop.  Enter it.  Sell any possesion you have (getting major $$, the
shopkeeper will run out at some point).  Pick all your posessions back up (now
unpaid).  Plunder the shop.

4) Wait till you teleport out.

This technique allows you to rip off every shop you run across without requiring
you to have found or identified any particular magic item.

					Alien

PS:  Anyone found a good way to take out zoos?  I hit one once.  I had major $$
if you could get through all the monsters, but there were too many for me.  And
they *seemed* to have all waken up and were following me.  I made a bee line to
the next level ...

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (01/11/85)

><
>I only know two ways to steel from shop keeps.
>1.Kill him(which is very unlikely)
>2.Have you dog walk through the shop and he will take stuff for you and them leave and your dog will start dropping things.
>
>Is there any other way?

In one adventure I played, I managed to clean out three shops using a wand
of teleport away.  Go into a shop, pick up everything you can, tport the
shopkeeper away and run for the stairs.

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Office of Computing Services

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/15/85)

> >I only know two ways to steel from shop keeps.
> >1.Kill him(which is very unlikely)
> >2.Have you dog walk through the shop and he will take stuff for you and them leave and your dog will start dropping things.
But there is another way!!!!!
in some games a shop may look like this:

     ---------
     |*$!??%]+##@ <-- you the hero
     |!*%!)/?|  #
     |H%$)//%|  #
     |!!!$)%?|  ########
     |..@....|
     -----+---
          #
          #
          #
  #########

in this situation you could com in from the door at the top and
take a few/all of the items in the store and just exit the way you
came...
it is very rare that the shoppkeeper will venture onto any of the
items.. but there will be now way the shoppkeeper will try to
harm you unless you hit him and make him mad!!!!

        have fun!!

A bit of Trivia...
   The only way to kill the **WIZARD** (not the character type)
is to have him choke on some food (pancake, food ration etc...)

tlm@wdl1.UUCP (01/17/85)

I have manage to steal stuff from shopkeepers by:

  1) having the dog meander around and take stuff;
  2) finding a trapdoor or teleport trap (rare);
  3) reading a teleport scroll;
  4) zapping the shopkeeper with a wand or staff to either
     teleport him away or kill him (sometimes I use wands that
     I pick up in his shop and haven't yet paid for)
~v
-:w
:w
-

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (01/17/85)

In article <3231@ucla-cs.ARPA> ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>But there is another way!!!!!
And proceeds to give an example where there are two doors.  Folks, this will
only happen if you invoke the game as

% hack -w

putting you in super-wizard mode.  (Not to be confused with the Wizard
character type.)  There is code to prevent non-super-wizards from ever seeing
two exits from a shop.

>A bit of Trivia...
>   The only way to kill the **WIZARD** (not the character type)
>is to have him choke on some food (pancake, food ration etc...)
I found a way to make the character worthless.  When a super-wizard 'dies'
(goes below 0 hit points), she gets an enchantment on her weapon, his armor,
all her hit points back, and her strength ticked up by one.  Normally, a
strength of 18/** is not increased by one.  However, the wizard rejuvenation
section of code mindlessly bumps it up by one, resulting in a strength of
-257.  (or something.)

	"You collapse under your load."

Carl Hommel
Husband: How did you get an armor class of -15!?
Wife:  I just kept dying.