[net.games] ungrateful mangy rabid dog in hack

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (01/04/85)

(Since hack is a variant of rogue, shouldn't this be in net.games.rogue?)

      milord Oliver  killed on level 2 by a little dog called spot

This is both a warning and a question.  I haven't delved into the source
yet, but if anyone else has and can answer this, I'd be grateful.

I'm tired of being killed by that damn dog.  Ungrateful wretch, you feed
him and care for him, even give him a name, and if you go down a level without
him, he turns on you when you come back to get him.  Even if 'spot' goes
down to the next level by himself (via a trap door) he's gone rabid by
the time you follow.  Does anyone know if there is a way to win back
the affections of the little mutt?  Both times he attacked me I didn't
have a tripe ration handy, and so couldn't try feeding him.

I like hack, although it's voracity seems a little extreme.  Me, a total
winner in 3.6 and 5.3, have yet to get past level 3.  Disgusting!  :-)

One mild complaint:  Hack insists that your terminal have the termcap
parameter 'ce', clear until end of line.  Not all otherwise usable
terminals have this capability.  The old Infoton I'm using now, for
instance, works fine with vi and our other four versions of rogue, but
I can't play hack on it.  This is silly.  I can see using the parameter
if it's present for display speed, but give us old timers a break as
well.  I guess I'll have to hack it myself.

This game is the greatest thing since sliced milk.  I guess I can
put up with a few minor bugs.  I'll never play regular rogue again.

Except on the Infoton....
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (01/07/85)

In article <302@wjvax.UUCP> ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) writes:

>I'm tired of being killed by that damn dog.  Ungrateful wretch, you feed
>him and care for him, even give him a name, and if you go down a level without
>him, he turns on you when you come back to get him.  Even if 'spot' goes
>down to the next level by himself (via a trap door) he's gone rabid by
>the time you follow.  Does anyone know if there is a way to win back
>the affections of the little mutt?  Both times he attacked me I didn't
>have a tripe ration handy, and so couldn't try feeding him.
>
>I like hack, although it's voracity seems a little extreme.  Me, a total
>winner in 3.6 and 5.3, have yet to get past level 3.  Disgusting!  :-)
>
>This game is the greatest thing since sliced milk.  I guess I can
>put up with a few minor bugs.  I'll never play regular rogue again.

If you abandone the dog, he doesn't like it. So get with him together
to the new level. (You have to find out yourself how to do this.)

Also the dog you see can be the one from an unluckly player which had
himself killed, and who's dog is missing his boss a lot. In that case you see a
ghost around as well (if you managed to stay alive, else another dog &
ghost can be around the next time.)

Yes, you can be a winner of rogue, but it is more fun to play a good
game.

BTW, the real bugs starts around level 20 and more, since hardly
anyone has been that far. Quotes from the local logfile:
	Number Points	Name				  	     HP [max]
	 1 155650	ag-C was killed om level 28 by a demon        -   [90]
	 2 121175	dirk-W escaped the dungeon [max level 27]     120 [120]
	 .... etc
	 .... etc

Of course the real fun starts if you can figure out why certain persons
have special capabilities for certain features (features or a bug, no,
just a hack).

kay@flame.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (01/11/85)

>him, he turns on you when you come back to get him.  Even if 'spot' goes
>down to the next level by himself (via a trap door) he's gone rabid by
>the time you follow.  Does anyone know if there is a way to win back

I've never found this to be so, but maybe it's when I get the message 'The
little dog suddenly disappears' I immediately look for the trapdoor & leap
after it.  I'm rather fond of the dogs: there's many a time (ie when frozen
by floating eyes) that it's staved off attacks by >4 other monsters.

Our hack's been up a little under a week & we've had plenty of people below
level 7.

The 'ce' problem is a shame (we use adm3a and tvi912 as well as the adm5) but
we intend to hack it. If anyone does have a munge for 'ce', could they post
it?

We've also cured (I think) a problem with the lock files not being removed
when the game terminates abnormally - basically, they have to be removed
before error is called, and also, not made before hack decides your terminal
is too stupid.

					Kay	killed by a fortune cookie.
--
"I'm afraid we haven't got round to providing a bug for that fix yet ..."
			... mcvax!ukc!flame!kay

john@genrad.UUCP (John Nelson) (01/14/85)

Has anyone noticed Hack hanging when going down a level.  I finally broke
out of the game (I don't remember exactly what I did),  but I noticed two
days later that an invocation of "mklev" was still chewing up CPU time.

aeb@turing.UUCP (01/17/85)

> Has anyone noticed Hack hanging when going down a level.  I finally broke
> out of the game (I don't remember exactly what I did),  but I noticed two
> days later that an invocation of "mklev" was still chewing up CPU time.

Yes, my little brother stumbled over this same bug just the other day.
The bug occurs in some ancient code in mklev.c that I never got around
to fixing; what happens is that with rather low probability mklev fails
to create an acceptable level map; in despair it then calls itself again,
but unfortunately the random generator is initialized with the same value
so that this unlikely event will repeat itself until you hit the interrupt.

You may choose between various temporary fixes:
1. ignore the bug (probably you'll never see it [again])
2. remove the exec("mklev") call from mklev.c, and accept a possibly
   disconnected level map
3. use srand(time) instead of srand(getpid())

One of these days I'll post a set of diffs upgrading hack to version 1.0.1
The new mklev.c always produces correct maps so that there is no need for
a recursive call in desperation.
--
      Andries Brouwer -- CWI, Amsterdam -- {philabs,decvax}!mcvax!aeb

dennis@noscvax.UUCP (Dennis Cottel) (01/18/85)

In article <585@genrad.UUCP> john@genrad.UUCP (John Nelson) writes:
>Has anyone noticed Hack hanging when going down a level....but I noticed two
>days later that an invocation of "mklev" was still chewing up CPU time.

Yep, it has happened here - but only once. [4.2bsd on a VAX 750]

	Dennis Cottel, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 225-2406        dennis@nosc        sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis