[net.games] Hack too hard?

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (01/10/85)

It feels like about 80% of the hack games I play (as a Fighter) end
on level 3 or less.  This makes the game a lot more frustrating
than rogue.  At least in rogue once you got the hang of things you
could play games down a number of levels before getting killed.

Is it just my own incompetence/inexperience?  Should I switch to a
knight?  If the latter is what's needed, what then is the use of the
fighter role?
--
It's getting lonely around here...
{ihnp4 hao ucbvax!nbires}!stcvax!lat			Larry Tepper

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (01/14/85)

In article <356@stcvax.UUCP> (Larry Tepper) writes:
>It feels like about 80% of the hack games I play (as a Fighter) end
>on level 3 or less.
Unlike rogue, the 2-H sword is not the end-all and be-all of the fighting
world.  (The crysknife is, grab it if you ever get a wand of wishing.)  The
2-H sword does 1d6 points to small monsters; and small monsters are all you
are seeing.  Switch to using a mace, or longsword.

	Carl Hommel
Wife:  Could you please get me my coffee?
Husband:  How do you expect me to rule the world with all these petty details?

njt@fisher.UUCP (Nathaniel Thurston) (01/16/85)

> The crysknife is, grab it if you ever get a wand of wishing.

Contrary to popular belief, the crysknife is not the best weapon around.
Although the two-handed sword does only 1d6 to small monsters,
it does 1d12 + 1d6 + 1d6 to large ones,
and a heavy iron ball (gotten with a scroll of punishment or a wand of wishing)
does 1d26 to all monsters.

Therefore, wish for a heavy iron ball.  It is not all that heavy,
and it is much better.

	Nathaniel Thurston

dan@rna.UUCP (01/20/85)

RE: Hack too hard ??

	Hack does seem harder but I don't think it is too hard. As you
mentioned, in the beginning 80% of the games I played didn't go pass level 3.
But as I gained real experience with each character, using its strengths, etc,
I can now play most characters at least to level 12 consistantly. I expect to
be able to improve that as time goes on.
	My current favorite character is the caveman. Previously, it was the
knight. The tourist is a difficult character to play but has two distinct
advantage: 1) plenty of food, 2) a camera to blind monsters with. Also you get
two potions of extra healing to help you survive the initial levels (til you
get strong, with good armor and weapons). The dog is invaluable to the tourist
in the beginning. The dog is a nuisance to the caveman; it usually gets in the
way. The wizards is also a difficult character unless you are lucky with your
initial endowment of magic (e.g. ring of regeneration, good wands).
	Despair not, HACK is playable (perhaps too...)

					Dan