[net.games] Rooms full of Gold in hack

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Daniel Bidinger) (01/08/85)

  [ eat this ]         >{

      dundundundundundundundundundundundundundundun

              MUNCH!!!!!!!!!

       ok well anyway I was playing hack and i read a scroll of gold sense.
    Then i read a scroll of magic mapping.  They had a small room chuck full
    of gold.

    THERE WAS NO WAY TO GET TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    How do you get there besides using a scroll of teleport or wand of digging??
              cbosgd!dpb

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (01/08/85)

I have never teleported into the treasure rooms, but I
have dug into several at dungeon levels 1 and 2.
I have never gotten more than 300 pieces of gold.
Maybe they are better at deeper dungeon levels.

  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (01/10/85)

> I have never teleported into the treasure rooms, but I
> have dug into several at dungeon levels 1 and 2.

Once (after eating a leppy) I teleported into a gold room.  After
picking up all the gold I searched for awhile (no luck) when a
"guardian of the Vault" appeared and said something like "Hmm, I think
all that gold you're carrying came from this vault.  Please drop the
gold (d$) and follow me" (don't quote me).  Fortunately, I teleported
again at just that moment -- I had no desire to battle Guardians --
Has anyone else encountered a Vault Guard?  What happened?

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxle!wws

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (01/10/85)

That's known as a treasure room.  Nope there's no way to reach it
directly, although the standard was to bypass walls and such are still
available.
				Steven Grady

alien@gcc-opus.ARPA (Alien Wells) (01/11/85)

In article <640@whuxlm.UUCP> wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) writes:
>Once (after eating a leppy) I teleported into a gold room.  After
>picking up all the gold I searched for awhile (no luck) when a
>"guardian of the Vault" appeared and said something like "Hmm, I think
>all that gold you're carrying came from this vault.  Please drop the
>gold (d$) and follow me" (don't quote me).  Fortunately, I teleported
>again at just that moment -- I had no desire to battle Guardians --
>Has anyone else encountered a Vault Guard?  What happened?

He just stands there and waits for you (blocking the exit) until you drop the
gold.  If you have eaten an L, just wait (20.) until you teleport out.

By the way, in my best game, I enchanted my mace to +7.  On the next enchant
weapon I read, it exploded.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Does it happen
to armor?  Is it probabilistic or deterministic?

					Alien

lydgate@reed.UUCP (Chris Lydgate) (01/12/85)

In article <640@whuxlm.UUCP> wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) writes:

>Has anyone else encountered a Vault Guard?  What happened?

Just as I was about to leave a vault, a guard appeared and
asked me my name.  I lied, thinking that if I pretended to be
a shopkeeper he might leave me alone. However, I forgot all
the
shopkeepers' names.  I refused to drop the gold, and he just
stood there. I didn't attack him, I just teleported out.
Still a mystery, I guess.

	chihris lydgate

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (01/12/85)

> I have never teleported into the treasure rooms, but I
> have dug into several at dungeon levels 1 and 2.
> I have never gotten more than 300 pieces of gold.
> Maybe they are better at deeper dungeon levels.
>
>   - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
>   {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

They always contain 4 gold treasures which seem to be about average+ for the
level, so they do get better with the level.  But then you still have to
deal with the guards (anyone know how to cope with them in general?).

					Ray

lat@stcvax.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (01/14/85)

> From: wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William)
> Once (after eating a leppy) I teleported into a gold room.  After
> picking up all the gold I searched for awhile (no luck) when a
> "guardian of the Vault" appeared and said something like "Hmm, I think
> all that gold you're carrying came from this vault.  Please drop the
> gold (d$) and follow me" (don't quote me).  Fortunately, I teleported
> again at just that moment -- I had no desire to battle Guardians --
> Has anyone else encountered a Vault Guard?  What happened?

Yeah.  The same thing happened to me once.  I just "."'d (for many
turns, like 50 or so).  The guard never attacked and I eventually
teleported out of the room.
--
It's getting lonely around here...
{ihnp4 hao ucbvax!nbires}!stcvax!lat			Larry Tepper

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (01/17/85)

> In article <640@whuxlm.UUCP> wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) writes:
>
> >Has anyone else encountered a Vault Guard?  What happened?
>
> Just as I was about to leave a vault, a guard appeared and
> asked me my name.  I lied, thinking that if I pretended to be
> a shopkeeper he might leave me alone. However, I forgot all
> the
> shopkeepers' names.  I refused to drop the gold, and he just
> stood there. I didn't attack him, I just teleported out.
> Still a mystery, I guess.
>
> 	chihris lydgate

I just encountered a vault guard today, I fell into one through a trap
door from the first level and picked up 867AU.  Not having anything to
teleport or dig with I waited for a guard.  He asked me my name and I
was honest.  He said I must have stolen the gold and that I had to drop
it. I did, he dissappeared, a door appeared and so did my dog.
However I decided to backup and pick up the gold on the way out.  When
I got in the hall the guard re-appeared and was UPSET.  He then fought
me (I was a fighter) and I died.

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (01/18/85)

> By the way, in my best game, I enchanted my mace to +7.  On the next enchant
> weapon I read, it exploded.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Does it happen
> to armor?  Is it probabilistic or deterministic?
>
> 					Alien

I does happen. I enchanted my +7 longsword and had it evaporate on me when I
was not ready with another.

					Ray

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/18/85)

There are no rooms full of gold on SYS V R2 !!!!
Why ????
Because hack can't even run on SYS V R2.

						Mark

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (01/21/85)

> There are no rooms full of gold on SYS V R2 !!!!
> Why ????
> Because hack can't even run on SYS V R2.
>
> 						Mark

Works just fine on a VAXX w/ SVR2 here. You're probably just jealous.

--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"