[net.games] Comments on Hitchhikers

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (02/16/85)

> From: ckuppe@spock.UUCP (Charles A. Kupperman '87 )
>
> I am one of many people who are frustrated and disgusted by that game, because
> as an adventure game it is not a good example of the genre.  It presents the
> player with a simple and unilateral storyline in which there are one or
> two hard puzzles and the rest are simply a matter of correctly adapting the
> novel. . . .
>
> Charles Kupperman,
> "A citizen of the universe and a gentleman to boot."

I agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiments.  /The Hitchhikers Guide
to the Galaxy/ is the only Infocom game that I could not recommend in good
faith to ANYONE.  The entire opening sequence of the game consists primarily
of waiting for things to happen.  I eventually got stuck in the Heart of Gold
sequence, got disgusted, and I haven't booted it since (I've been spending my
time on Sorceror).  I suspect that I wouldn't have been anywhere near as
upset if the game were classified as 'Expert' or even 'Advanced', but this
is supposed to be a standard level adventure!  I may finish it someday, but
I'll have to be REALLY bored before this thing enters my disk drive again.

I hear the game is doing well, for their sake I hope so.  They probably had to
pay Adams a horrendous sum of money to do this . . . Supposedly Adams asked
for a million pounds sterling *APIECE* to write the novelizations of the two
Dr. Who scripts he wrote . . .

By the way, anybody know anything about "Zork IV"?  I've seen it mentioned
in the New Zork Times, but never with any real information.

	From the back of beyond that Evita could never be fond of . . .

		.rne.

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
GalactiNet . . 1/MkyWy/r9.844-T00.05'24"-S206.28'49"/3/U.S.AT&T/5058655516
Scotch . . . . Dewars
-----
"Making your life a Living Hell."