[net.music] Answers to your YES questions

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (06/25/85)

>  (1)  What was "The Age of Atlantic"?  I have "Yesterdays", which has the song
>"America" on it.  However, since I've never seen the "Age of Atlantic" album,
>I just assumed it was some obscure compendium of songs by Atlantic recording
>artists.  You make it sound like yet another Yes album.  What is it?

It's the former.  I don't own a copy, but I recall that it followed the format
of the Warner Brothers' samplers of that era:  lots of stuff by new artists
plus a few obscure tracks by established acts.  The obscurities were the
aforementioned "America" (previously available only in a shortened single
version) and Led Zeppelin's "Hey Hey What Am I Gonna Do" (B-side of "Over The
Hills And Far Away").

>  (2)  What are you referring to by "Yes meets the Buggles"?

After Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman/Patrick Moraz/whoever packed it in, the
remaining Yes-men teamed up with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes, a two-man
team of studio wizards who, as the Buggles, had had a major U.K. hit with
"Video Killed The Radio Star".  (Someone even more forgettable had the U.S.
hit version.)

After the Yes/Buggles breakup, Horn went back to studioland (he produced
"90125") and Downes joined Steve Howe in the vastly overrated Asia.

>  (3)  I believe Bill Bruford played on "Close To The Edge".

Yes, he did.  He plays on about half of "Yessongs", too.

"And you can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right."
Andrew W. Rogers

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (Liz Smith) (06/27/85)

> >  (2)  What are you referring to by "Yes meets the Buggles"?
>
> After Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman/Patrick Moraz/whoever packed it in, the
> remaining Yes-men teamed up with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes, a two-man
> team of studio wizards who, as the Buggles, had had a major U.K. hit with
> "Video Killed The Radio Star".  (Someone even more forgettable had the U.S.
> hit version.)

Bruce Woolly and the Camera Club is that forgettable band.

Liz Smith

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (07/03/85)

In article <400@h-sc1.UUCP> lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (Liz Smith) writes:
>Bruce Woolly and the Camera Club is that forgettable band.

The keyboardist in that "forgettable band" was the then unknown Thomas Dolby.