[net.games] Possible modifications to Midway . . .

wade@nmtvax.UUCP (02/26/85)

Possible Modifications to Midway:

A.  Increase the effectiveness of AA fire, especially that of cruisers
    and battleships escorting carriers.  One of the main purposes of the
    escorting ships was to provide effective AA cover, and in the game,
    once the attackers are past the CAP, there is very little resistance,
    and what little there is comes from the players ship while the escorts
    sit idly by and watch.

B.  Add Destroyers and torpedos.  Destroyers are valuable escorts, and were
    used in the battle of Midway, as in most major engagements.  In addition
    to adding AA fire, they carry torpedos for ship to ship combat.  Many
    cruisers also carry torpedos, although the american torps were almost
    useless because they were so unreliable.  For example, the Maya had
    sixteen 24 inch torpedo tubes and the Atlanta had eight 21 inch torpedo
    tubes.

Example Destroyers:

    American:
        DD Kelly, 1760 tons, six 5" AA guns, ten 21" torpedo tubes

    Japanese:
        DD Yukikaze, 2033 tons, six 5" AA guns, eight 24" torpedo tubes

C.  Add a refuelling and rearming delay on all aircraft, rather than allowing
    them to take off again as soon as they land.  Planes in CAP should also
    have to land periodically rather than staying up indefinately.

D.  Add the transports and support ships the Jintsu was escorting, they would
    make fun targets and would give the japanese something to protect.

     Any more suggestions?

                                 Richard Wade
                                 nmtvax!wade

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (03/04/85)

Yes, a few more, that I am working on even as we speak...

1)  The sun has to go down sometime folks, and it's kinda difficult to
    fly in the dark.  Designate two times as sunset and sunrise.
    Planes are not allowed in the air between a sunset and sunrise.
    If a strike doesn't quite get back to their ship or Midway before
    sunset, the planes ditch.

2)  As long as you add nighttime, you might as well make it so that
    everyone starts each new day unspotted-- you have to find your enemies
    all over again.  At least you'll have some idea of where to
    look.

3)  Damage control and repair-- a ship could repair torpedo and bomb
    hits at night, up to a maximum of one torpedo hit and 2 bomb
    hits for the entire game.  Larger ships, say BBs, and CVs, might
    be allowed to repair more.

4)  Strikes should occasionally miss their targets.

5)  As near as I can tell, the code always tells you when you have
    been spotted by an enemy plane.  Make it so there's a chance
    you don't see the scout, so you can get a nasty surprise attack.

6)  Bogus sightings.  Unclear or just plain wrong sightings played
    an important part in the battle.

7)  Need to change the range for the planes.  Japanese planes had a
    range of about 35 miles or so greater than the Americans,
    particularly the TBD, a plane entirely different from the TBF,
    a half dozen or so of which were on Midway at the time.
    This means that it should be possible for the Japanese to hit
    American carriers while remaining out of range from a return strike.
    Since this is an important strategic consideration, it should
    be implemented.

AA fire seems OK to me-- unless you have a couple of BBs or CLAAs
escorting your carrier, if a lot of enemy planes get thru the CAP,
you are in trouble.  AA can't get 'em all, nor should it.  I agree it
would be nice if your escorts were a bit more enthusiastic (and
smarter) about helping you out, tho.  I'm not sure about this, but I
don't think it is possible to shoot down your own planes with AA;
this should be fixed if it is true-- if you're attacked with all
your planes still on the carrier and you get them off while the
attack is going on, your AA fire should shoot both enemy and
friendlies down.

Definitely need the destroyers and transports.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Mark Modig
sftri!mom

yee@ucbvax.ARPA (Peter E. Yee) (03/06/85)

   The main problem with adding the ships under 5000 tons is the sheer
number of these suckers.  Currently the program has to keep track of
about 1400 planes and a fair number of ships.  To add destroyers would
slow the game down too much (unless you are running on a Cray :-)).
I like the other suggestions, and I will forward them to the author.
Who knows, perhaps he or someone else will make some of the mods.

					-Peter Yee
					..ucbvax!yee
					yee@Berkeley.ARPA

6615lp13@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (03/14/85)

In article <368@sftri.UUCP> mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) writes:
>Yes, a few more, that I am working on even as we speak...
>
>1)  The sun has to go down sometime folks, and it's kinda difficult to
>    fly in the dark.  Designate two times as sunset and sunrise.
>    Planes are not allowed in the air between a sunset and sunrise.
>    If a strike doesn't quite get back to their ship or Midway before
>    sunset, the planes ditch.
>
>2)  As long as you add nighttime, you might as well make it so that
>    everyone starts each new day unspotted-- you have to find your enemies
>    all over again.  At least you'll have some idea of where to
>    look.
>
>3)  Damage control and repair-- a ship could repair torpedo and bomb
>    hits at night, up to a maximum of one torpedo hit and 2 bomb
>    hits for the entire game.  Larger ships, say BBs, and CVs, might
>    be allowed to repair more.
>
>4)  Strikes should occasionally miss their targets.
>
>5)  As near as I can tell, the code always tells you when you have
>    been spotted by an enemy plane.  Make it so there's a chance
>    you don't see the scout, so you can get a nasty surprise attack.
>
>6)  Bogus sightings.  Unclear or just plain wrong sightings played
>    an important part in the battle.
>
>7)  Need to change the range for the planes.  Japanese planes had a
>    range of about 35 miles or so greater than the Americans,
>    particularly the TBD, a plane entirely different from the TBF,
>    a half dozen or so of which were on Midway at the time.
>    This means that it should be possible for the Japanese to hit
>    American carriers while remaining out of range from a return strike.
>    Since this is an important strategic consideration, it should
>    be implemented.
>
>AA fire seems OK to me-- unless you have a couple of BBs or CLAAs
>escorting your carrier, if a lot of enemy planes get thru the CAP,
>you are in trouble.  AA can't get 'em all, nor should it.  I agree it
>would be nice if your escorts were a bit more enthusiastic (and
>smarter) about helping you out, tho.  I'm not sure about this, but I
>don't think it is possible to shoot down your own planes with AA;
>this should be fixed if it is true-- if you're attacked with all
>your planes still on the carrier and you get them off while the
>attack is going on, your AA fire should shoot both enemy and
>friendlies down.
>
>Definitely need the destroyers and transports.
>
>That's about all I can think of at the moment.
>
>Mark Modig
>sftri!mom

      There is a game that I have on disk for the Apple II that fits
  all of these criterion.It's called Midway.Since I have it on disc I
  don't know the name of the company which publishes it,but it's strange
  to hear you discussing these modifications when I played a game which
  has all these built in.It might pay to look into it.This game works
  with a 24-hour clock,with night bombing.There are no American destroyers
  but there are Japanese battleships as well as Carriers.