[net.games] Real Men <fill in the blank>

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) (03/29/85)

The following is something that I and some friends of mine have
come up with.  It is in the vein of "Real Men do this, that, and
the other".  Other categories include Real Role-Players, Loonies,
and Munchkins (those annoying little kids).  While this might
belong better in net.games.frp, I think that it should be enjoyed
by all who read net.games.  So, here it is:

Favorite FRPG:
  Real Men play AD&D
  Real Role-Players play RuneQuest
  Loonies play a variant Spawn of Fashan
  Munchkins play anything by TSR

Favorite SFRPG:
  Real Men play Star Trek: The Role-Playing Game
  Real Role-Players play Space Opera
  Loonies play a very variant Spawn of Fashan
  Muchkins play anything by TSR

Favorite 1920's RPG:
  Real men play Gangbusters
  Real Role-players play Call of Cthulhu
  Loonies play an extremely variant Spawn of Fashan
  Munchkins play anything by TSR

Favorite SHRPG:
  Real Men play Champions
  Real Role-Players play Superworld
  Loonies play an unrecognizably variant Spawn of Fashan
  Munchkins play anything by TSR

Favorite Magazine:
  Real Men read The Dragon
  Real Role-Players read Different Worlds
  Loonies read comic books
  Munchkins read anything by TSR

Favorite Dungeon Activity
  Real Men fight Red Dragons
  Real Role-Players bluff the Ogres
  Loonies tell dirty jokes to Green Slime
  Munchkins do whatever gives the most experience

Favorite Melee Weapon:
  Real Men use Broadswords/Bastard Swords
  Real Role-Players use Rapiers
  Loonies use Stage Knives
  Munchkins use whatever gives the most plusses

Favorite Thrown Weapon:
  Real Men throw Spears/Javelins
  Real Role-Players throw Bolas
  Loonies throw their friends
  Munchkins throw whatever gives the most plusses

Favorite Missile Weapon:
  Real Men shoot Long Bows/Composite Bows
  Real Role-Players shoot Crossbows
  Loonies shoot Twinkie Bazookas
  Munchkins shoot whatever gives the most plusses

Favorite Science Fiction Weapon:
  Real Men use Laser Pistols/Blasters/Light Sabers
  Real Role-Players use Stun Guns
  Loonies use Thermonuclear Hand Grenades
  Muchkins use whatever gives the most plusses

Favorite Spell:
  Real Men throw Fireballs
  Real Role-Players throw Hold Person
  Loonies throw magic items
  Muchkins throw Smite Ruler/Transfer Loyalty of Populace

Favorite Alignment:
  Real Men are Lawful Neutral
  Real Role-Players are Chaotic Good
  Loonies are Amoral Silly
  Munchkins are whatever gives the most plusses

Favorite Religious-type Character:
  Real Men play Paladins
  Real Role-Players play Clerics
  Loonies play Archpope
  Munchkins play Demigods

Favorite Non-human as a PC:
  Real Men play Dwarfs
  Real Role-Players play Half-elfs
  Loonies play a Dwarf-Elf halfbreed
  Munchkins play whatever gives the most plusses

Favorite Undead to Summon:
  Real Men summon Ghosts
  Real Role-Players summon Wraiths
  Loonies send in a troll with a sheet
  Muchkins summon Cerberus

Favorite Way of Extracting Information from the Goblins:
  Real Men torture them
  Real Role-Players cast Legend Lore
  Loonies tell puns to them
  Munchkins peek behind the GM's shield

Favorite Demon/Devil:
  Real Men like Asmodeus
  Real Role-Players like Demogorgon
  Loonies like Spiro Agnew
  Muchkins like Satan's grandfather

Favorite God:
  Real Men worship Humakt
  Real Role-Players worship Issaries
  Loonies worship Hare Krishna
  Munchkins worship whoever gives the most plusses

Favorite Magic Item:
  Real Men love Adamantine Claws
  Real Role-Players love Repulsor Rays
  Loonies love Radioactive Teeth
  Muchkins love Uru's Hammer

Favorite Potion:
  Real Men drink potions of Superheroism
  Real Role-Players drink potions of Animal/Plant Control
  Loonies drink potions of Jell-O
  Munchkins drink potions of Deity Control

Favorite Ring:
  Real Men wear rings of Elemental Control
  Real Role-Players wear rings of Free Action
  Loonies wear rings of Smurf Control
  Munchkins wear rings of Infinite Wishes

Favorite Stick (ie, Rod/Staff/Wand):
  Real Men wield staves of Striking
  Real Role-Players wield staves of Healing
  Loonies wield staves of styrofoam
  Munchkins wield staves of Deity Power

Favorite NPC:
  Real Men like Tarl Cabot
  Real Role-Players like Medea
  Loonies like Doctor Who
  Munchkins like Darth Vader

Favorite Familiar-type
  Real Men have Black Cats
  Real Role-Players have Owls
  Loonies have Snails
  Munchkins have whatever gives the most plusses/Ancient Red Dragons

Favorite Elf-type:
  Real Men like the Pini's elves
  Real Role-Players like Tolkien's elves
  Loonies like Santa's elves
  Munchkins like Storm Giants with pointed ears

Favorite Dwarf-type:
  Real Men like Tolkien's Dwarfs
  Real Role-Players like Glorantha's Dwarfs
  Loonies like the Seven Dwarfs
  Munchkins like Earth Elementals with beards

Favorite Superhero:
  Real Men like Wolverine
  Real Role-Players like The Spirit
  Loonies like Obnoxio
  Munchkins like Galactus

Favorite Actor:
  Real Men like John Wayne
  Real Role-Players like Claus Kinski
  Loonies like Curly
  Munchkins watch Saturday-morning cartoons

Favorite Actress:
  Real Men like Racquel Welch
  Real Role-Players like Adrienne Barbeau
  Loonies like Phyllis Diller
  Muchkins are far too young to know about Sex

Favorite Method of Space Travel
  Real Men use Hyperspace/Warp Drive
  Real Role-Players use suspended animation
  Loonies use the Infinite Improbability Drive
  Muchkins push the button and it goes

Favorite Convention Activity:
  Real Men "Do the Dealer's Room"
  Real Role-Players go to the seminars
  Loonies play video games
  Munchkins run and shout and cut in lines

If you can think of any more, send them to:
	..!ucbvax!okamoto
	okamoto%miro@Berkeley.arpa

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (04/01/85)

In article <5883@ucbvax.ARPA> okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) writes:
>Favorite FRPG:
>  Real Men play AD&D
>  Real Role-Players play RuneQuest
>  Loonies play a variant Spawn of Fashan
>  Munchkins play anything by TSR

	Therefore, given that:

	(1) Real men play AD&D
	(2) Munchkins play anything by TSR
 *and*  (3) AD&D is a TSR game

	We can deduce that "Real Men are munchkins", something that
we have probably known all along.
					-- Chris

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (04/03/85)

<submitted for your approval>

I have nothing to do right now, so, in the same vein....

Traps:
    Real Men aren't afraid of traps
    Real Role-players search for traps
    Loonies use rings of detect traps so they can jump into them on purpose
    Munchkins fall into traps and forget to map them, so on the way back...

Armor:
    Real Men wear plate armor
    Real Role-players wear Dwarven chainmail
    Loonies wear horse barding
    Munchkins wear +10 rustproof plate armor and seven layers of magic cloaks

Helmets:
    Real Men wear ordinary helmets
    Real Role-players wear helms of telepathy
    Loonies wear helms of blindness in case they run into a basilisk
    Munchkins wear two (more plusses that way)

Boots:
    Real Men wear Boots of Stomping
    Real Role-players wear Boots of Stealth
    Loonies wear Boots of Happy Feet
    Munchkins wear ruby slippers

Gloves/Gauntlets:
    Real Men fight barehanded
    Real Role-players wear Gauntlets of Ogre Power
    Loonies wear Glove of Michael Jackson Charisma
    Munchkins wear gloves that still let them put rings on & off

Shields:
    Real Men don't use shields (can't use two-handers)
    Real Role-players use large shields
    Loonies use panty shields
    Munchkins don't get the previous joke

Favorite battle story:
    Real Men: "There I was, surrounded by orcs!  I slice into the closest
	one with my two-hander and try to back my way to the door..."
    Real Role-players:  "There we were, surrounded by Ogres!  The two fighters
	get back-to-back and start swinging, I sleep the closest one, and the
	thief/archer climbs a tree and gets his bow out..."
    Loonies:  "There we were, surrounded by mutant lobsters!  Fred throws a
	Circle of Fire spell, I summon a Water Elemental, Curly gets out the
	nutcrackers, and Frobozz wishes for a vat of melted butter..."
    Munchkins:  "There I was, surrounded by ancient red dragons..."

------------
Merlyn Leroy
"...a dimension between shallow and substance, between science and
superficial, a place we call...The Usenet Zone"

bifrost@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (04/05/85)

> >Favorite FRPG:
> >  Real Men play AD&D
> >  Real Role-Players play RuneQuest
> >  Loonies play a variant Spawn of Fashan
> >  Munchkins play anything by TSR
>
> 	Therefore, given that:
>
> 	(1) Real men play AD&D
> 	(2) Munchkins play anything by TSR
>  *and*  (3) AD&D is a TSR game
>
> 	We can deduce that "Real Men are munchkins", something that
> we have probably known all along.

	Nope, we can't.  Since AD&D isn't ANY game, but a PARTICULAR
game by TSR, all we can conclude is that someone playing AD&D is either
a real man (sic) or a Munchkin (not quite as grotesque, but still sic).
If a group played AD&D and then another game by TSR, then we could
conclude that they're Munchkins, since real men ONLY play AD&D.

Heimdall [a.k.a. Alan Schmidt]
..tektronix!reed!bifrost