[net.games] Gotcha

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (06/01/85)

We've run a fair number of Assassin games at Dartmouth over the
past years. Most fizzled due to too many people, but equipment
failures and limitations certainly contributed. A small group
of us would like to run a game with better equipment. The new
movie 'Gotcha' uses what appears to be paint pellets. I've also
heard of something similar used in survivalist type outings.
These seem to have the problems that they could possible damage
people (wear goggles at the very least) as well as mark up walls.

A game down in Dallas (rigged up in a converted warehouse, I
understand) is using LED vests, guns emitting some form of
light, helmets for audio feedback and a central computer to
handle the sound and light feedback. This is a bit much. But
is there anything else along this line which might work? (And
be reasonably inexpensive?) A very low-powered laser and a vest
sensitive to the laser's wavelength might be possible. Or a vest
with photodetectors and it's own LED's that would light when
hit. Or ....

Basically, I am looking for *any* feedback on this, no matter
how weird. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll summarize
and post or mail.

Safety is a big concern. I do not want high powered projectiles,
high powered lasers, etc running around.

We have access to chem and electronics labs, and have competent
people. Construction should be no problem.

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

ee171ael@sdcc3.UUCP (GEOFFREY KIM) (06/03/85)

In article <3202@dartvax.UUCP>, davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) writes:
> We've run a fair number of Assassin games at Dartmouth over the
> past years. Most fizzled due to too many people, but equipment
> failures and limitations certainly contributed. A small group
> of us would like to run a game with better equipment. The new
> movie 'Gotcha' uses what appears to be paint pellets. I've also
> heard of something similar used in survivalist type outings.
> These seem to have the problems that they could possible damage
> people (wear goggles at the very least) as well as mark up walls.
>
> A game down in Dallas (rigged up in a converted warehouse, I
> understand) is using LED vests, guns emitting some form of
> light, helmets for audio feedback and a central computer to
> handle the sound and light feedback. This is a bit much. But
> is there anything else along this line which might work? (And
> be reasonably inexpensive?) A very low-powered laser and a vest
> sensitive to the laser's wavelength might be possible. Or a vest
> with photodetectors and it's own LED's that would light when
> hit. Or ....
>
> Basically, I am looking for *any* feedback on this, no matter
> how weird. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll summarize
> and post or mail.
>
> Safety is a big concern. I do not want high powered projectiles,
> high powered lasers, etc running around.
>
> We have access to chem and electronics labs, and have competent
> people. Construction should be no problem.
>
> --
> David C. Kovar
> 	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber
> 	    ARPA:	davidk%amber%dartmouth@csnet-relay
> 	    CSNET:	davidk%amber@dartmouth
>
> "I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
>  with a tactical nuke.
>
>  'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
>   street fight?'"
> 			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

How about having the assassin eat a lot of beans prior to assassining
some one.  Also, the assassin brings a portable fan with him.

When the assassin finds the victim, he merely cuts a FART, and turns
on the fan, making sure he doesn't shit, or the shit will hit the fan.

This way, the victim will scream in anguish- "Hey, someone just cut a fart"
and  everyone will know he was just killed.

-----
Larry G. Kim

"Hey, I don't byte, I fartnybble"