[net.games] Looking for a 'working' zork

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/25/85)

	Does anyone know where I might get ahold of a copy of zork (a la
PDP-11/44, 2.9BSD) that allows you to save and restore games? Ours crashes
with an "EMT trap".

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward

		{decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,seismo}! -+-> cbosgd! -|
		{clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}! ---|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

	()

        |--		Support barrier free design
       /|---
      |     \  _
       \___/ \=

kelem@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/05/85)

In article <1811@ukma.UUCP> edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:

>	Does anyone know where I might get ahold of a copy of zork (a la
>PDP-11/44, 2.9BSD) that allows you to save and restore games? Ours crashes
>with an "EMT trap".

This appears to be a "feature" in all the DEC implementations of Zork.
To save a Zork game, type  '>' and the file 'dungeon.dat' will be (over)written.
At this point you cannot specify a name for the saved game.  Type '<' to
restore from the file 'dungeon.dat'.  Once you have left (or suspended) Zork,
'dungeon.dat' can be renamed to something useful like 'troll', 'valhalla',
etc.  When you want to start from a saved game, copy the desired scenario file
back into 'dungeon.dat'.  Since each copy of dungeon.dat takes up about
18 kbytes of disk space you can get into other kinds of trouble eventually.