[net.music] Artist Info Wanted

dmf@whuxi.UUCP (01/21/85)

                 I can't, for the life of me, remember the

                 name of the group who sang "Pale Shelter".

       Please post to net.

      Grazi !

Dee

peg@ihlpm.UUCP (Peg Streff) (01/22/85)

The group who sang Pale Shelter is called "Tears for Fears"
off of their album called "Pale Shelter" released in 1983...
The album is not out in abundance, but any record store with
a reasonably large selection should have it... i have it and
it is one of my favorites!!!

Peg Streff
ihlpm!peg
--
Peg Streff
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL

lo@harvard.ARPA (Bert S.F. Lo) (01/23/85)

>                  I can't, for the life of me, remember the
>                  name of the group who sang "Pale Shelter".
>        Please post to net.
>        Grazi !
> Dee

The group is Tears For Fears, from the album, "The Hurting". There are about
5 different remixes of this song on various 12", 45's and LP's, made over a
period of about 3 years.

_________________________Bert S.F. Lo (lo@harvard.ARPA)_________________________

dnj@security.UUCP (Dave Juitt) (01/28/85)

> Who does the song "Pale Shelter"...

I do believe the group you're looking for is Tears for Fears.
The song is from their first U.S. album, The Hurting.

BTW, rumour has it they have a second album on the way,
I heard a cut from it at the local dance club a couple
weeks ago. Hope it's as good as the first album.

						Dave Juitt

-----								    -----
UUCP: ..linus!security!dnj       All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi,
ARPA:  dnj@mitre-bedford                and she wouldn't give it to me...

timle@drutx.UUCP (DeibertTL) (06/27/85)

[]

  Can anybody fill in any information on the following artists
and if they have been involved in any other bands during the
past 15 years?

  Tom Rapp / guitar, vocals
  Jim Bohannon / organ, piano, clavinette
  Wayne Harley / banjo
  Lane Lederer / bass, guitar

  During the late sixties they were recording under the band name
of "Pearls Before Swine".  Below are some of the records which
were recorded by them.

One Nation Underground - 1967
Balaklava - 1968
The Use of Ashes - 1970

--

              Tim Deibert
              AT&T ISL

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (07/04/85)

In article <3127@drutx.UUCP> timle@drutx.UUCP (DeibertTL) writes:
>  Can anybody fill in any information on the following artists
>and if they have been involved in any other bands during the
>past 15 years?
>
>  Tom Rapp / guitar, vocals
>  Jim Bohannon / organ, piano, clavinette
>  Wayne Harley / banjo
>  Lane Lederer / bass, guitar
>
>  During the late sixties they were recording under the band name
>of "Pearls Before Swine".

Last week on the Barry St. Vitus show on KALX, he played a Pearls Before Swine
song called "Uncle John", advising his listeners to mentally substitute the
word "Ron" for "John", to appropriate effect.  Tom Rapp is amazing - he sings
as if he's possessed.  You could phone KALX (415) 642-5259 Wednesdays 10-2 pm
PDT - Barry'd probably be able to help out...

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/04/85)

In article <3127@drutx.UUCP> timle@drutx.UUCP (DeibertTL) writes:
>  Can anybody fill in any information on the following artists
>and if they have been involved in any other bands during the
>past 15 years?
>
>  Tom Rapp / guitar, vocals
>  Jim Bohannon / organ, piano, clavinette
>  Wayne Harley / banjo
>  Lane Lederer / bass, guitar
>
>  During the late sixties they were recording under the band name
>of "Pearls Before Swine".  Below are some of the records which
>were recorded by them.
>	.
>	.
>	.

The only printed info I've ever seen on Rapp/PBS is in "The Illustrated
Encyclopedia of Rock", compiled by Nick Logan/Bob Woffinden (1976).  Here
is the discography:

Pearls Before Swine:
	One Nation Underground		  1967	ESP-Disk
	Balaklava			  1968	ESP-Disk
	These Things Too		  1969	Reprise
	The Use Of Ashes		  1970	Reprise
	City Of Gold			  1971	Reprise
	Beautiful Lies You Could Live In  1971	Reprise

Tom Rapp:
	Tom Rapp (familiar songs)	  1972	Reprise
	Stardancer			   ??	Blue Thumb
	Sunforest			   ??	Blue Thumb

The article goes on to say "since [the last LP] nothing has been heard from
him [TR], though rumors abound that he lives in Holland".  Needless to say, no
info on the whereabouts of the others.  In fact, I've never been able to find
where they came from - much less what ever happened to them!

Miscellaneous observations:

The keyboardist on "One Nation Underground" was Roger Crissinger; Jim Bohannon
appeared on "Balaklava".  By "These Things Too" only Rapp and Harley remained;
Lederer and Bohannon had been replaced by ex-Cryan Shame Jim Fairs and
"elizabeth".  I believe Harley departed soon afterward; the name "Pearls
Before Swine" seems to have been kept (for purposes of name recognition) long
after the group itself had disbanded.

Tom Rapp's first album is subtitled "Familiar Songs" because about half of
them had already appeared on previous PBS albums.

Rapp/PBS were fairly popular at RPI in the late 60's - early 70's.  I went
to Union, and seem to recall that PBS played at RPI's Student Center at least
once a year... I almost went to see him/them once, but something else (as
always) came up.  Anyone out there ever hear them live?

Andrew W. Rogers
"...neither cast ye your PEARLS BEFORE SWINE...lest they turn ye on..."