[net.games] Galaxy

nrh@lzwi.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) (07/22/85)

I have successfully 'curse'd Galaxy for sys V.2.

I can mail the modified modules to interested parties.

In looking at the game I can see a simple strategy that has a high
chance of success. That is, wait a while, feeding your population,
then make an all out attack on the enemies capital. Since this
stategy destroys some of the fun, I have also built a 'Change Capital'
command. This allows you to move your capital to any other planet is
the universe. The changes for this are also available on demand.

I am now looking at changes the way the display is managed, particularly
changing the displayed character on both screens when an occupied planet
changes hands.
{ihnp4|vax135|allegra}!lznv!nrh
	Nigel		The Mad Englishman or
			The Madly Maundering Mumbler in the Wildernesses

Everything you have read here is a figment of your imagination.
Noone else in the universe currently subscribes to these opinions.

"Its the rope, you know. You can't get it, you know."

nrh@lzwi.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) (07/25/85)

There is a bug in move_to.c
The array attack_fail is two elements too short. That means that it is
possible to fly from one edge of the galaxy to the other with no
effectiveness penalty. I added two extra values of 50.

There is a conceptual flaw in that movement takes place instantaneously
at the instant of command, regardless of the note in the documentation
to the effect that movement takes effect at year end.

Equally the ban on movement during a pause is not friendly to
beginners. I would prefer to use pause to allow extended time per
move in beginners games.

wanner@ethz.UUCP (Juerg Wanner) (07/26/85)

In article <200@lzwi.UUCP> nrh@lzwi.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) writes:
>In looking at the game I can see a simple strategy that has a high
>chance of success. That is, wait a while, feeding your population,
>then make an all out attack on the enemies capital. Since this

I'd love to play a game with you :-)

--
 Juerg Wanner		Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Computer Science

 ..cernvax!ethz!wanner (UUCP)                       vlsi@czheth5a (BITNET/EARN)