[net.games] Rubik's 4x4x4 cube

frans@duvel.UUCP (Frans Meulenbroeks) (08/23/85)

Some weeks ago I aquired a 4x4x4 version of Rubik's cube.
It is somewhat more difficult than the 3x3x3 version.
Anyway, most of the time I can fix it by now.
I've only one problem left:
Is it possible to have a situation in which the two middle pieces of an
edge are twisted/turned upside down, with the remainder of the cube left
intact?

I sometimes encounter this situation, but have not yet found a way to
solve it.

Does anyone know if this is possible at all, or am I being fooled by one of
my friends?
Please, just answer yes or no. If it is possible I will try to find out
how by myself.
--
	Frans Meulenbroeks, Philips Microprocessor Development Systems
		   ...!{seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!philmds!frans

mer@prism.UUCP (08/27/85)

Not an answer to your question but your query made me think "wouldn't it
be neat to have a 4x4x4x4 Rubik's cube", since that's the logical
extension.  I wonder how you'd solve it.

scs@wucs.UUCP (Steve Swope) (08/31/85)

In article <3600005@prism.UUCP>, mer@prism.UUCP writes:

> Not an answer to your question but your query made me think "wouldn't it
> be neat to have a 4x4x4x4 Rubik's cube", since that's the logical
> extension.  I wonder how you'd solve it.

	Such a device exists.  It's called "Rubik's Revenge", is
manufactured by Ideal*, and (I've heard) is alse designed by Erno Rubik.
I've also heard that he has developed 5^^3 and 6^^3 extensions, and is
working on a 7^^3 extension (none of these have been marketed, to my
knowlege *sigh*).
	I solved the 4^^3 version by gathering the centers (each 4
subcubes) and edges (each 2 subcubes) and applying my 3^^3 solution
to that.
	Incidentally, Ideal* also makes "Pocket Rubik's Cube", a 2^^3
version. (It's equivalent to solving only the corners on a 3^^3.)

*DISCLAIMER: Ideal is somebody's trademark, and I've never even
	considered working for them.