[net.games] Rubik's 4x4x4

jeffh@brl-sem.ARPA (the Shadow) (08/29/85)

In article <3600005@prism.UUCP> mer@prism.UUCP writes:

>Not an answer to your question but your query made me think "wouldn't it
>be neat to have a 4x4x4x4 Rubik's cube", since that's the logical
>extension.  I wonder how you'd solve it.

I wonder how you'd BUILD it.  After all, mathematicians and physicists
can't agree on what the fourth dimension is, let alone how one would
create an object in 4-space.

		"Some people are born to obscurity.
		 Others only achieve it through diligent effort."

			the Shadow
			ARPA:	<jeffh@brl>
			UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl!jeffh

> I wonder how you'd BUILD it.  After all, mathematicians and physicists
> can't agree on what the fourth dimension is, let alone how one would
> create an object in 4-space.

Oh, boo, Jeff.  In the context of Rubik cubes the special-relativistic
time dimension (I assume that's what you refer to) has nothing to do
the the spatial dimensionality of the cube.  Sure, one can't construct
a 4-dimensional hypercube, but its properties can be and have been
studied nonetheless.

jeffh@brl-sem.ARPA (the Shadow) (08/30/85)

>Oh, boo, Jeff.  In the context of Rubik cubes the special-relativistic
>time dimension (I assume that's what you refer to) has nothing to do
>the the spatial dimensionality of the cube.  Sure, one can't construct
>a 4-dimensional hypercube, but its properties can be and have been
>studied nonetheless.

All right, I stand (or, more accurately, sit) corrected.  I'd still like
to see somebody build one.  Who knows?  Maybe it is possible to design a
special-relativistic cube which travels backwards through time and falls
*up* when you drop it. :-)

	"Meddle not in the affairs of wizards ...
		... they get soggy and clog the drains"

			the Shadow
			ARPA:	<jeffh@brl>
			UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl!jeffh

apt@inmet.UUCP (08/30/85)

I've heard of a 3x3x3x3 cube that was simulated on a computer, with a
graphics screen, of course.  I haven't seen a demo, but I read that it
is really strange to watch the 'hypercube' being solved.  The people who
worked on it also made up a sort of "How to Solve the 3x3x3x3 Cube" book,
but I'm sure it isn't available in any store.  Not even from K-Tel.

			-=:| Alan Taylor |:=-

			      ...harpo!inmet!apt
			      ...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!apt
			      ...yale-comix!ima!inmet!apt

phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) (09/03/85)

In article <392@brl-sem.ARPA> jeffh@brl-semnes (VLD/VMB) (the Shadow) writes:
>>Not an answer to your question but your query made me think "wouldn't it
>>be neat to have a 4x4x4x4 Rubik's cube", since that's the logical
>>extension.  I wonder how you'd solve it.
>I wonder how you'd BUILD it.  After all, mathematicians and physicists
>can't agree on what the fourth dimension is, let alone how one would
>create an object in 4-space.
*The* 4th dimension?  Which one is *the* third dimension.  *Pick* a fourth
dimension.
					Tommy Phillips

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (09/06/85)

> *The* 4th dimension?  Which one is *the* third dimension.  *Pick* a fourth
> dimension.

Read _Flatland_, you will really enjoy it.

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws