[net.games] Tsoro ?

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (09/23/85)

Is there anybody out there that as played 'Tsoro'? I learned how to
play it from a guy that was from Zimbabwe(sp?). The game itself is
fairly simple, but can be quite stimulating.  I'm trying to put it
on the computer and have a few questions about the particulars.  Un-
fortunately, my friend has gone back to Zimbabwe.

 It is played on a square board with 24 holes connected in rows of
three.  Each player takes a turn by placing one of his eleven pegs
into an open hole.  If a player gets three in a row, s/he removes
an opponents peg of his/her choice.  this continues untill the play-
ers have placed all their pegs into the board.  They now move the
pegs to an adjacent open hole once again trying to get 3-in-a-row.
Once a player has less than 3 pegs s/he loses.
If you know this game or want to, let me know...
[raig cmacfarlane@bbnccj.arpa

hmm@unido.UUCP (09/25/85)

A very similar game is well-known in Germany under the name "Muehle" (mill).
However, the rules are a little bit different.  I hope you don't mind if I
post them completely.

First, the board layout:

O--------------O--------------O		The Player's pieces stand on the O's
!	       !	      !		and move along the lines.
!	       !	      !
!    O---------O---------O    !
!    !         !         !    !
!    !	       !         !    !
!    !    O----O----O    !    !
!    !    !         !    !    !
!    !    !         !    !    !
O----O----O         O----O----O
!    !    !         !    !    !
!    !    !         !    !    !
!    !    O----O----O    !    !
!    !         !         !    !
!    !         !         !    !
!    O---------O---------O    !
!              !              !
!              !              !
O--------------O--------------O

The german Version uses 9 pegs instead of 11.  There are 3 stages:

1. The players set their pegs alternatively.  3 pegs in a row are a 'mill'.
   If one player gets a mill, s/he may remove one of the opponent's pegs,
   but not one which is part of a mill.

2. If the players run out of pegs, they move their pieces along the lines.
   Mill handling is the same as above.

3. If one player has only 3 pegs left, s/he may jump.  This is a real
   advantage, so s/he can normally bring down the other to 3 pegs too.

If one player has only 2 pegs left, s/he looses.
There is an additional rule that you may take a piece out of the opponent's
mill if no 'free' piece is there.  This breaks deadlock situations very well.

I liked the game as a kid, but somehow my little sister managed to beat
my in every play, so I gave it up.  I have never had the time to figure
out a strategy, but I'm sure there is some...

	Hope you enjoy the game,
	Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm@unido.UUCP>
	Universitaet Dortmund, West Germany

betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) (10/03/85)

In article <10200002@unido.UUCP> hmm@unido.UUCP writes:
>A very similar game is well-known in Germany under the name "Muehle" (mill).
>However, the rules are a little bit different.  I hope you don't mind if I
>post them completely.
... description of game play deleted...

>	Hope you enjoy the game,
>	Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm@unido.UUCP>
>	Universitaet Dortmund, West Germany

The game in question is known in English as "Nine Men's Morris (or morra)."
I learned it as a child.  We had a very pretty carved wooden board which
came from Denmark.  The game itself is very old, at least dating back to
medieval times.
--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry
UUCP: {decvax |ihnp4 | linus| cornell}!dartvax!betsy