[net.games] Has anyone ever heard of a game called Moria?

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (10/23/85)

A friend of mine recently told me about a game called 'Moria' (presumably
from Tolkien) that was on a Vax where he worked.  Has anyone ever heard of
it/played it?  Is the source code available for it to run on Unix?  (My friend
was running VMS)...  Thanks in advance,

-Sean Colbath

"Dave, why don't you take a stress pill and lie down for a while?"
UUCP:    {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (10/27/85)

We have Moria running on our VMS 4.3 system. Quite a good game, all in
all. Unfortunately, it seems to have been programmed in a combination
MACRO-11 and Pascal, which does not make for portability to UNIX. If
anyone wants it, I think I can post a copy of the "manual pages" for
it.

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (10/28/85)

In article <183@ur-tut.UUCP> scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) writes:
>A friend of mine recently told me about a game called 'Moria' (presumably
>from Tolkien) that was on a Vax where he worked.  Has anyone ever heard of
>it/played it?  Is the source code available for it to run on Unix?  (My friend
>was running VMS)...  Thanks in advance,
>
>-Sean Colbath

Sean -
   Moria (at least the only implementation that I know about) is a game written
in the Tutor language for CDC's Plato Environment. If this is in fact the only
implementation, it would not run on a VAX. Of course someone at that site may
have written a translation. As for a UN*X version ... I would also like to
know if there is such an implementation. Moria (and especially it's updated
version: a game called Avatar) is one of the finest adventure-type games I've
seen on a computer. It works in a 3-D world and is not unlike rogue/hack (The
relationship between Moria and Hack is quite similar to the relationship bet-
ween Hack Rogue and Hack).
				  Skippin' o'er th' timelines ag'in
				  Whisper Spirit

"....So long and thanks for all the fish!"  << Dolphins >>