[net.games] Zork Help Desperately Needed!

schoenli@ittral.UUCP (Dick Schoenling) (10/19/85)

Yes, I know Zork is a relatively "old" game, but I've
never had the opportunity to play it before and I don't
know much about it yet.  The Zork in question is Zork I
for the IBM-PC(our VAX administrator won't open /usr/games)
and is from Infocom and was written by the same folks
(supposedly) that wrote the original mainframe version.

I'm at a fairly amateur level of the game but I'm
already stuck.  My question is this, What do you need
to get up the chimmney in the Studio, and how do you
get out of, or get past the Torch Room/Temple/Egyptian Tomb
level?  My frustration level is reaching critical mass
and I would really appreciate some hints(without giving
away the farm) instead of outright answers.  Thanks in Advance,

                               Stuck in the GUE :-),

                               Dick Schoenling
                              decvax!ittvax!ittral!schoenli

> I'm at a fairly amateur level of the game but I'm
> already stuck.  My question is this, What do you need
> to get up the chimmney in the Studio, and how do you
> get out of, or get past the Torch Room/Temple/Egyptian Tomb
> level?  My frustration level is reaching critical mass
> and I would really appreciate some hints(without giving
> away the farm) instead of outright answers.  Thanks in Advance,

You can get up the chimney if you aren't carrying much.
The trap door will keep getting shut behind you until
you stop whoever is doing it.  There is another way out,
which you can find only by exploring.  In the maze, be
sure to try EVERY direction out of each room.

You can go DOWN from the Altar room.  Be sure to play
with the mirror in the mirror room.  There may also be
a way to drain the reservoir.

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (10/21/85)

In article <221@ittral.UUCP> schoenli@ittral.UUCP (Dick Schoenling) writes:

>I'm at a fairly amateur level of the game but I'm
>already stuck.  My question is this, What do you need
>to get up the chimmney in the Studio, and how do you
>get out of, or get past the Torch Room/Temple/Egyptian Tomb
>level?  My frustration level is reaching critical mass
>and I would really appreciate some hints(without giving
>away the farm) instead of outright answers.  Thanks in Advance,

Remember ... a chimney is a very narrow crawl-space.

There is more to the Temple than you have obviously explored. Try a new
direction. Look for the altar !!!

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (10/21/85)

In article <221@ittral.UUCP> schoenli@ittral.UUCP (Dick Schoenling) writes:

>I'm at a fairly amateur level of Zork but I'm
>already stuck.  My question is this, What do you need
>to get up the chimmney in the Studio, and how do you
>get out of, or get past the Torch Room/Temple/Egyptian Tomb
>level?  My frustration level is reaching critical mass
>and I would really appreciate some hints(without giving
>away the farm) instead of outright answers.  Thanks in Advance,

In Zork, there aren't really levels as such.  You seem to get to lower
areas, but they aren't like rogue levels (level 1,2,3,etc.).  solving
puzzles can get you into new 'wings' of the dungeon.
Getting up the chimney from the Studio isn't really all that important.
But if you would like to do it, bear in mind that it's not so much what
you need as what you don't need to get up.  As I remember, other than
taking the treasures, there aren't any really important things to be done
in the Torch Room or Egyptian Tomb, but there is something interesting to
be done at the Temple, but it won't be easy to figure it out.  You're
best bet would be to go next door to the Altar and do something there.

--pat traynor--

arpa-- ptraynor@bbnccv.arpa

stephen@dcl-cs.UUCP (Stephen J. Muir) (10/22/85)

May I take this opportunity to say what a wonderful time I had finding out all
the secrets of Zork and how much fun I got out of the various snippets of
humour scattered throughout -- it's well worth it.

In article <221@ittral.UUCP> schoenli@ittral.UUCP (Dick Schoenling) writes:
>My question is this, What do you need
>to get up the chimmney in the Studio

You don't have to do this EVER to complete the game.  If you really want to,
drop everything except the lamp.

>and how do you
>get out of, or get past the Torch Room/Temple/Egyptian Tomb
>level?

I thought it was getting INTO the torch room was difficult -- getting out is
as easy as typing "d"!

You could try "pray"ing, but it gives you somewhat more work to do.
If you want "treasure", be prepared for a fight.

You can get out of the Egyptian tomb, provided you don't take the coffin with
you -- best get somebody else to do that!
--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!stephen
DARPA:	stephen%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/22/85)

In article <221@ittral.UUCP> schoenli@ittral.UUCP (Dick Schoenling) writes:
>I'm at a fairly amateur level of the game but I'm
>already stuck.  My question is this, What do you need
>to get up the chimmney in the Studio, and ....
 I would really appreciate some hints(without giving
>away the farm) instead of outright answers.  Thanks in Advance,

To get up a chimney you would carry less, not more, right?  Try dropping
things.

martin@yale.ARPA (Charles Martin) (10/24/85)

Expires:
I can't imagine that when someone asks for hints and help that they
really want to know exactly what to do in a situation.  Unacceptable
replies to "I'm in the Witch House and I can't stop dreaming, please
give me a hint" take the form "Kill the old gardener, he's really the
leader of a cult of fish-men." Good replies might intimate that "not
everyone dreads the coming of Cthulhu," or some such cryptic response.

For the recent Zork help request, Pat Traynor and Joel Rives were able
to restrain themselves enough to give good clues without giving the game
away.  Let's try to follow this example, rather than detailing exact
procedures in our desire to demonstrate to everyone else that we have,
in fact, solved the game.

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Thomas Cox) (10/26/85)

[ put the thief here and may he be eaten ]
Warning:  this contains some REAL NASTY spoilers!  hit 'q' now!

Okay, i'm now going to ask something I never thought I would:
what do the mirror rooms do?  I've never figured it out, even after all
the time i spent figuring the boat, the reservoir, everything else.
I even killed the thief and found his secret lair after getting him to open
the egg for me.  I scared off the cyclops.  BUT I NEVER FIGURED OUT THE
MIRRORS.  Even after getting the coal-diamond change figured, the mirrors
never made sense.  What did I do wrong?

damn it, i got Everything.
the egg, the bauble, the whatsis gem from the buoy, the scarab, the skull,
the sack of coins, the torch, the pot-of-gold, the sceptre, the coffin,
the trunk, the trident [does that DO anything?], the figurine, ...
but there were always a few I couldn't find, whose identities I never knew.
Help, anyone?
--
                   Thomas Cox
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (10/30/85)

It is not my style (if I can truly be said to any style at all) to post spoilers
Even so, the spoiler requsted concerning the mirror rooms is simple enough that
I couldn't resist.
Try touching the mirror. When you do so there should occur a rumbling sound (Its
been awhile so I am not positive that the sound is actually a rummble but it is
something like that). The sound signifies that you have just been transported
(teleported?) to the other mirror room. Neat huh? A quick and easy way to get
across the water, etc...

				Skippin' o'er th' timelines ag'in,
				the ever-present whisper spirit

"What need have I for this; what need have I for that. I am dancing at the
feet of my lord. All is bliss; all is bliss" title of song recorded by Shakti

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Thomas Cox) (11/01/85)

[]
Dear Zorkers:  my apologies.  I got carried away.  Much of the help
I received with the mirror room thing was for the mainframe version
of Zork I, which i don't got.  I HAD [note tense]  a micro version.
I can't even test out the hints given me.  But thanks to those who
did.  Can any of you mail me a complete list of EITHER
	1) all micro-Zork I treasures
	or
	2) all mainframe Zork I treasures
please.  I will NOT post a summary, but I will mail final copies to
interested parties who send me self-addressed, path-tested Email envelopes
:-).
	And thanks again to those people who wrote.

			yours
--
                   Thomas Cox
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn
				But of COURSE everything is unique.
				If they weren't, they'd all be one thing.

> what do the mirror rooms do?

Rub a mirror then go exploring.