		Thanks,
			brianb

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (11/12/85)

In article <521@drutx.UUCP> brianb@drutx.UUCP (Brian Bell) writes:
>Who is Frodo?  If anyone can tell me,
>please reply by mail.
>		Thanks,
>			brianb

I'm sure old J.R.R. Tolkien could have told you, but since he's dead
you can read his book "Lord of the Ring", it's about Bilbo, Frodo and
all the others... BTW: You lucky person, who never had read it -- you
have so many happy hours to look forward to!!! And a little warning
it's about 1500 pages long and you won't put the book aside until you've
finished it.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (11/13/85)

>>Who is Frodo?  If anyone can tell me,
>>please reply by mail.
>>		Thanks,
>>			brianb
>
>I'm sure old J.R.R. Tolkien could have told you, but since he's dead
>you can read his book "Lord of the Ring", it's about Bilbo, Frodo and
>all the others... BTW: You lucky person, who never had read it -- you
>have so many happy hours to look forward to!!! And a little warning
>it's about 1500 pages long and you won't put the book aside until you've
>finished it.
To be precise, the book is called "Lord of the Rings".
Actually, you should start by reading "The Hobbit", to learn about Bilbo.
Then, if you like it, move on to the three volumes of L. of the R.
Finally, you can play the various adventure games based on the books.

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (11/14/85)

A quick note about reading "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

"The Hobbit" was written as a children's story - which by no means
relegates it to some lower status. As such, it does not completely reflect
the attitude of "The Lord of the Rings" series, which was fully intended
as a follow-up to "The Hobbit" in a more "adult" format.

By no means go to see the movie by the same title !!!

                         The never-present Whisper Spirit

Joel Rives
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

ray@utcsri.UUCP (Raymond Allen) (11/14/85)

*** WARNING: IF YOU DELETE THIS LINE, IT WILL GO AWAY ***
In article <42@diku.UUCP> kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
>In article <521@drutx.UUCP> brianb@drutx.UUCP (Brian Bell) writes:
>>Who is Frodo?
>>			brianb
>
>I'm sure old J.R.R. Tolkien could have told you, but since he's dead
>you can read his book "Lord of the Ring", it's about Bilbo, Frodo and
>all the others...

I would hasten to add that you might also read "The Hobbit" (also by
Tolkien).  The events in "The Hobbit" precede (chronologically) those
in "The Lord of the Rings".  It is also a fine book in its own right.

				Ray Allen
				utcsri!ray

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (11/15/85)

> In article <521@drutx.UUCP> brianb@drutx.UUCP (Brian Bell) writes:
> >Who is Frodo?

In article <42@diku.UUCP>, kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) writes:
> ... you can read (the) book "Lord of the Ring" ...
>
> ... You lucky person, who never had read it -- you have so many happy hours
> to look forward to!!!

	I can't let this go by without a quick hipshot.  Tolkein is one of the
	most boring writers in English literature.  I tried reading these
	novels several times before I could finally slog through them.  While
	there are several good bits, most of the time it reads like a
	travelogue.  Just because "everyone" says this is a Great Work of
	Literature doesn't mean that you're going to like it.

	A pox on Toikein munchkins!  There, I feel better.
--
	Dr. Bob
UUCP	..!{ihnp4,cbosgd,seismo}!plus5!bob

	The opinions expressed here are only loosely based on the facts.

kimcm@olamb.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (11/26/85)

In article <923@plus5.UUCP> Dr. Bob writes:
> I can't let this go by without a quick hipshot.  Tolkein is one of the
> most boring writers in English literature.  I tried reading these
> novels several times before I could finally slog through them.  While
> there are several good bits, most of the time it reads like a
> travelogue.  Just because "everyone" says this is a Great Work of
> Literature doesn't mean that you're going to like it.

Well, seems like all doesn't have the same taste (-;

But Tolkien says in the forword of LotR something like:
	Some of you might find some passages boring and longish,
	others of you might like these parts but not certain other
	parts of the trilogy... However I felt that in order to make
	the story complete and make everybody equally satisfied the
	story couldn't be any shorter.
	[This is my own interpretation (it's about 2years since
	 i read LotR.]

OK, you don't like it fine, but the majority does!

					Kim Chr. Madsen
					kimcm!olamb.uucp