[net.games] Hitchhiker's guide query **SPOILER**

southard@unc.UUCP (Scott Southard) (12/08/85)

In article <1072@oddjob.UUCP> apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) writes:
>could someone tell me how to get the babel fish? i've tried covering the hole,
>drain and panel. i've also tried lying in front of the slot and kicking the
>button, ..... obviously i'm missing something.
>     thanks in anticipation,
>                            ak

I haven't played this in a while, but if I remember correctly the sequence
is something like this:

  - hang gown on hook
  - put towel on drain
  - put satchel in front of panel
  - put junk mail on satchel

This last step is the one that got me... I spent many long hours trying to
figure out how to keep the flying robot busy.  It's amazing how robust the
Infocom games are; at one point I noticed that when the babel fish hit the
gown it slid down the inside of the sleeve so I thought "I've got it!  I'll
just tie the sleeves together!".  When I tried this and pushed the button
the babel fish slid down the *outside* of the gown, and after the description
I got a message something like "Nice try, though".  They've thought of
everything.

I never did finish this game.  If anyone wants to let me in on anything
really interesting I can do in the Heart of Gold I'd appreciate it.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of Infocom games, what does everyone
think of Enchanter and Sorcerer?  Personally I think they're the greatest
two adventure games ever written.  Does anyone know if the third in the
series is available yet?  I haven't looked in a long time but it sure seems
like it's been a long time since Sorcerer....

scott southard
decvax!mcnc!unc!southard