[net.games] Hitchhiker's guide query

apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) (12/08/85)

could someone tell me how to get the babel fish? i've tried covering the hole,
drain and panel. i've also tried lying in front of the slot and kicking the
button, ..... obviously i'm missing something.
     thanks in anticipation,
                            ak

vishniac@wanginst.UUCP (Ephraim Vishniac) (12/09/85)

> could someone tell me how to get the babel fish? i've tried covering the hole,
> drain and panel. i've also tried lying in front of the slot and kicking the
> button, ..... obviously i'm missing something.

Have you tried distracting the flying robot?  Got any *junk* you don't need?
Can you arrange things so as to distract the little beggar at a critical
moment?
--
Ephraim Vishniac
  [apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, harvard, linus, masscomp]!wanginst!vishniac

mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) (12/10/85)

In article <1072@oddjob.UUCP>, apak@oddjob.UUCP (Adrian Kent) writes:
> could someone tell me how to get the babel fish? i've tried covering the hole,
> drain and panel. i've also tried lying in front of the slot and kicking the
> button, ..... obviously i'm missing something.
>      thanks in anticipation,
>                             ak
     Here is the amazing solution to the "Riddle of the Babel Fish"

Enter these commands while in the Vogon Hold and after Ford is asleep:

>get towel and satchel
>take off gown
>hang gown on hook
>cover grate with towel
>put satchel in front of panel
>put mail on satchel
			  O.K. Here we go!!!
>press button

   What results is a most humorous and verbose description which was well worth the three weeks it took me to figure out this series of commands.

   WARNING>> You might be grateful for the solution to this part of the game,   but "You ain't seen nuthin' yet..."  Getting past this only leads to puzzles
which make this one look like child's play.  I'm looking forward to hearing
from you concerning:

		 o Poetry (The captain's favorite verse)
		 o Atomic Vector Plotter (how to hook up with hyperdrive)
		 o The mysterious cocktail party (how to leave)
			   and the list goes on...

     HELPFUL HINT: If you don't already know it, the game follows the book in
some sections nearly word for word.  Play the game with the book in one hand.
This is extremely true when trying to figure out how to operate the Atomic
Vector Plotter.

     In return for this and any other hints you might need in the future,
perhaps you could tell me how to:

		 o Feed coordinates into the computer in STARCROSS
		 o control robots and the objective of SUSPENDED
		 o get out of the seemingly endless loop of SORCEROR where my
		   brains are being eaten by maggots or something like that?
                 o How to open the damn diary (also in SORCEROR) which I hear
		   is the key to winning the game.

    I have all the INFOCOM games; won most, but these 3 have me totally stumped.

This has been my first experience writing to the NET.  Needless to say, it's
been fun.  Looking forward to more INFOCOM hints...

P.S.  Any documentation for any of INFOCOM's games would be greatly appreciated.      I have NO instructions at all for any of the games.

      Anybody play Ultima IV yet.  The best so far...

					     Mark Smith
					     The Software Wizard ---*~~~~~~zap