[net.games] Simulators

gold@druil.UUCP (G. Terry Gold) (01/07/86)

 I just read a review of "Jet" by Sub-Logic and I have a few questions.

	1.  The reviewer mentioned scenery disks for Flight Simulator.
	    Where can I get them and what new areas are on them?

	2.  Can anyone recommend other simulation programs for the
	    PC?  I have FS and Gato.  The more realistic the better.

	3.  Could someone who has "Jet" give a review of it?  I
	    assume the Sub-Logic and the MicroSoft versions are the
	    same?

 Happy Landings,

--
                                        ihnp4 \
Terry Gold      AT&T ISL                       --- druil!gold

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/08/86)

In article <1658@druil.UUCP>, gold@druil.UUCP (G. Terry Gold) writes:
>  I just read a review of "Jet" by Sub-Logic and I have a few questions.
> 	1.  The reviewer mentioned scenery disks for Flight Simulator.
> 	    Where can I get them and what new areas are on them?

     There are scenery disks available from SubLogic which cover most of the
major metropolitan areas in the U.S. to some detail.  They are promising other
disks which will represent some areas in GREAT detail (down to individual
buildings!).  These can be used with Jet or the Microsoft Flight Simulator
(which was written by Bruce Artwick of SubLogic).

> 	2.  Can anyone recommend other simulation programs for the
> 	    PC?  I have FS and Gato.  The more realistic the better.

     It would be hard to get MORE realistic than the SubLogic games, as they
are modeled very closely on real situations and aircraft.

> 	3.  Could someone who has "Jet" give a review of it?  I
> 	    assume the Sub-Logic and the MicroSoft versions are the
> 	    same?

     Jet is a somewhat simplified variant of the Flight Simulator.  Controls
are generally easier to use, and the display is somewhat simpler.  FS is a
simulation of a Cessna 150 type plane, and so is somewhat slow. Jet is a
simulation of a Mach 2 capable fighter, and is blazingly fast!  Jet includes
two "battle" type scenarios which are much better than the WWI thing included
with FS.  I think that Jet is a much better game than FS, but FS has the edge
as far as realism.  BTW, Microsoft does NOT do a version of Jet - SubLogic is
solely responsible for it.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

grantham@well.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) (01/09/86)

This message is empty.

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel M. Rives) (01/11/86)

There is a version of a flight simulator out for the Amiga. I have
seen it demonstrated but I don't know how you would get a copy.
Sorry.

					   -Joel

bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) (01/15/86)

?????

> I just read a review of "Jet" by Sub-Logic and I have a few questions.
>
>	1.  The reviewer mentioned scenery disks for Flight Simulator.
>	    Where can I get them and what new areas are on them?

You should be able to get them just about anywhere by now.  I believe there
are something like six different packages available, altogether covering
the entire continental US.  You can order them from SubLogic for about $20
apiece (I think they have a deal where you can get all 6 for $100):

		SubLogic Corp
		713 Edgebrook Drive
		Champaign, IL	61820
		(217)359-8482 / (800)637-4983

You can probably get a better price if you shop locally or go mail-order,
most places are selling them for around $15 or $16 apiece.  (If you shop
mail-order, you'll have a better chance of finding the scenery disk that
covers your own geographic area, since that one is usually the one that
sells out first at local software stores).  Commodore versions have been
out for some time; PC versions came later, but should by now be available
most everywhere.

>	2.  Can anyone recommend other simulation programs for the
>	    PC?  I have FS and Gato.  The more realistic the better.

I recently bought a copy of Microprose's SILENT SERVICE, which is a new
submarine simulation that's kind of similar to Gato.  Overall, I'd rate
it higher than Gato.  It provides you with real-time action against fairly
realistic convoys; you can "accelerate" time if necessary; go on patrols;
take on destroyers, Kaibokans, troop ships, cargo ships, and tankers;
you have a fairly realistic rendition of the entire western Pacific in which
to maneuver.  Very realistic overall.

>	3.  Could someone who has "Jet" give a review of it?  I
>	    assume the Sub-Logic and the MicroSoft versions are the
>	    same?

First of all, MicroSoft does not sell Jet.  SubLogic's doing there own
marketing on this one.  Performancewise, Jet probably outdoes anything
else on the market, with an amazingly fast amount of fairly detailed
graphics.  Entertainmentwise, how good it is depends on what you want
out of it.  If you're looking for high-speed dogfights, fast low-level
bombing runs, carrier takesoffs and landings, ejection seats, and
scorekeeping by making little "kill" marks on the side of your fuselage,
you'll love Jet.  It even lets you switch your viewpoint to that of
the guy standing in the tower, or on the bridge of the carrier.

If you want want realism, like to navigate by VOR, make ILS approaches,
and basically just fly around the countryside, stick with FS; Jet doesn't
have any of the guages and navigation radios and instruments, but instead has
two vertical "bargraph" displays -- (logarithmic) altitude, and mach velocity.
FS's attitude indicator is replaced in JET by a full-screen "heads-up"
attitude display and rangefinder (they are superimposed over the scenery).
One nice feature of JET is that almost your entire screen is used for scenery;
only a small portion of the borders is used for instruments.  You can also
increase/decrease view magnification (from 1X -- we call it "funhouse"
mode, like looking at the world through a fisheye lens -- to 8X, which is kind
of like whipping out the binoculars).  You can use JET with the FS disk
and burn up the sky over Chicago, Seattle, LA, or New York (unfortunately,
the weapons don't function in this mode -- it wouldn't let us bomb MicroSoft
in the Seattle scenario).

bill frolik
hplabs!hp-pcd!bill