[net.games] Scotland Yard

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (02/05/86)

|Scotland Yard

|    For 3-6 players (according to the box, however it is playable
|by  2),

From playing the game, it seems that the funnest part of the game
is playing Mr. X.  The problem is that there is more detectives
than Mr. X.  A solution (which we haven't tried yet) is to play two
games simultaneously with two people (needs two sets).  That way,
everyone gets to play Mr. X.  This also avoids the problem of the
detectives taking too long.

|     You might think that with those advantages, Mr. X would  get
|away  all  the  time.  Not so.

True, at first.  There are certain strategies which seem to give
Mr. X an advantage.  But since people don't play Mr. X that often,
these strategies are not discovered.  Detective skills, however,
seem to hone up fast since you get to play them more often.

-- Jeff Wu
   ..{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!j_wu

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (02/20/86)

In article <8400006@hpcnoe.UUCP> jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP writes:
>|     You might think that with those advantages, Mr. X would  get
>|away  all  the  time.  Not so.
>
>True, at first.  There are certain strategies which seem to give
>Mr. X an advantage.  But since people don't play Mr. X that often,
>these strategies are not discovered.  Detective skills, however,
>seem to hone up fast since you get to play them more often.

   Can we have some discussion of these strategies?  I have played
several one-on-one games as detectives against my brother playing
Mr. X, and I nearly always seem to win.  Would anyone who really
thinks the game is balanced like to play against my detectives via
net mail?

   -- David desJardins