[net.games] INFOCOM games and MSDOS, a question

thinfilm@uicsl.UUCP (02/23/86)

	Could anyone tell me if the newer infocom games are truly MS-DOS
games (it does seem to say so on the label).  I have a machine which is
definitely NOT IBM compatible and have noticed that AMFV seems to exist only
in the IBM pc format now.  In the past I have had to always purchase games
directly from INFOCOM (at list prices) in order to get a version that is
MS_DOS that doesn't use the IBM BIOS calls.  Could anyone tell me if INFOCOM
has silently stopped supporting true MSDOS and has decided to support only
IBM clones?  I wrote them a letter but have received no reply.  Thanks.
						Paul Fons
				{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!thinfilm

toma@tekchips.UUCP (02/24/86)

In article <4500002@uicsl> thinfilm@uicsl.UUCP writes:

>	Could anyone tell me if the newer infocom games are truly MS-DOS
>games (it does seem to say so on the label).  I have a machine which is
>definitely NOT IBM compatible and have noticed that AMFV seems to exist only
>in the IBM pc format now.  ... Could anyone tell me if INFOCOM
>has silently stopped supporting true MSDOS and has decided to support only
>IBM clones? ...
>						Paul Fons
>				{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!thinfilm

Great news!  Infocom is effectively selling their MS-DOS version as the PC-
Version.  This means:
    (1). Lower prices (i.e. discounts!) for non IBM PC compatible users.
    (2). No Copy Protection!! (For a long time I bought CP/M version to
         avoid this, until I got a copy of ZT16 which allows running the
         pc version under DOS)
    (3). Desktop utilities, such as Sidekick for taking notes, can now be
         utilized.

Only two disadvantages:  ANSI.SYS must be used, and display time is slower.

In conclusion: Three cheers for INFOCOM!!

Tom Almy