[net.games] Orphaned Response

craig@hp-pcd.UUCP (craig) (01/20/84)

#R:garfield:-76000:hp-kirk:7300005:37777777600:207
hp-kirk!craig    Dec 29 14:54:00 1983

			ZORK hints

  1.  mirrors are transporters (to each other)
  2.  you have 2 light sources available, use both (one
    with you, one left where you will be).
  3.  use something you found in the attic

craig@hp-pcd.UUCP (craig) (01/20/84)

#R:reed:-44000:hp-kirk:7300006:37777777600:225
hp-kirk!craig    Dec 29 15:00:00 1983

			a few hints
1.  its much simpler in the UNIX version and involves the same idea.
2.  is this how you get over the falls?  a prettier solution is
	a rainbow bridge (think magic wand in drag).
3-6. can't help much, sorry.

danny@convex.UUCP (11/24/84)

The oddly-angular room does seem similar to a baseball diamond. Now, what does
one do on a baseball diamond?

				Dan Wallach
				(...!convex!danny)

mikeh@haddock.UUCP (02/23/85)

Hi,
	(note some the following information coluld be construed as a
	spoiler)

        Actually I have had a lot of fun with the game, and have
        gotten a lot further than you--without a hint booklet.
        The advanced tea substitute and plotter and spare
        improbability drive transport you to lotsa adventures,
        when you do things in the persona of Zaphod, Trillian
        Arthur, and Ford.  Each of these subadventure gives you
        one difficult task, all of which must be accomplished
        before you can open the door.  I found lotsa beer and
        ganga to be a great aid in solving the goofier ones.

	I also found the humor to be excellent (when you shoot
	the bugblatter beast withe the Sirus Cybernetics Corp
	Bugblatter Beast Gun, not much happens except:
	(not a very good gun is it?)

	All in all I was quite pleased, and when I do master
	it I'll buy the hint book, as I bet it is full of more
	of Adam's humor.
						Later,
						Mike Hiller,
						Interactive Systems Corp.

mikeh@haddock.UUCP (03/11/85)

Hello,
        We havn't been able to get through the door either.  It
        wants you to show it some small sign of your
        intelligence.  Consulting guide on intelligence gives you
        a hint I havn't been able to exploit.

        Have you fired up the portable improbability drive yet?
        It sends you out on one of a half dozen or so
        sub-adventures including one which gets you a circuit
        board for the nutrimat interface to make tea.  This
        unfortunatly causes the H.O.G.  to reach Magrathea and
        get blowed up by missles.

        If you havn't fired up the portable Improbability drive,
        try putting the long dangly bit into a brownian motion
        generator.

        Anybody know how to prevent the dog from eating the
        sub-miniture space fleet when you are aboard it?  I
        suspect you must feed the cheese sandwich to the dog in
        the Ford Prefect sub-adventure, but it doesn't seem to
        work.

						Later,
						Mike Q. Hiller
						Interactive Systems Corp

larry@prism.UUCP (05/17/85)

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| About two weeks ago, I discovered an arcade which had a 'Fireball Classic'.
| Apparently the original Fireball has been re-released in an electronic
| version but with a playfield identical to the original.
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bally has been re-released several pinball machines, under the names
"Classic" and "Limited Edition."  (I've seen "Eight-Ball Deluxe" and a
couple of others as "Limited Edition"s.)

But this "Fireball Classic" bothers me, because they've changed something
from the original "Fireball," and I can't remember what it was.  Was there a
post between the flippers?  Or did the original have those old half-size
flippers (like upper flippers on four-flipper machines) and they sometimes
closed up, so you couldn't drain through the middle?  There was something
going on between the flippers, and it's gone from "Fireball Classic."

 Larry Appleman                  {cca, datacube, inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12}...
 Mirror Systems, Inc.                                  ...mirror!prism!larry

jayj@hpisla.UUCP (Jay Johannes) (06/27/85)

 Thanks to everyone who replied. I received just the right level
 of hint, with no spoiler information. I really appreciate.

 Jay Johannes

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (jeff) (07/13/85)

I am interested in a review of the following games:
    Junta,
    Talisman,
    Cosmic Encounter,
    Illuminati

I am interested in the following information about these games:
    Manufacturer / List price
    Estimated time to play
    Number of players
    Estimated complexity (how hard to learn, how hard to play)
    Type of game (role playing, money, war, fantasy)
    Brief description of play

jeff@hpcnoa.UUCP (jeff) (08/01/85)

>                                                      This group could cover
>the full spectrum of board-games from Milton Bradley to Avalon Hill(!). If you
>want such a group make yourself heard!

Yes.  (Maybe we could get a discussion up on the strategic elements of
       Chutes and Ladders :-)

-- Jeff Wu

dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) (08/01/85)

A voice of reason in a forest of otherwise irrational chatter...

	Why don't we create a mailing group first - and then if we
can demonstrate that there are indeed enough people to make a group
worthwhile (ie at least 'n' postings a week) ('n' to be determined)
THEN we could add another group.

	What we DON'T need is another fringe notesgroup for a half-
dozen people to have their word spread around the world!!
net.nlang.<archaic, unspoken language dead for thousands of years>
is plenty enough!!

	I personally would be most interested in being a member of
a mailing list, although I haven't had too much wargaming experience.

			From the confused mind of,

				-- Dave Taylor

dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) (08/06/85)

Jeff,
	I am another computer user who doesn't like computer games
at all (maybe someday I'll find one that's interesting...) (yes
I've played Hack/rogue, PSL Empire, and all the other neato games
out there...including all the PC games)

	net.games is at times an exercise in frustration - I'd like
to communicate with people who play board games like Monop, Risk,
Diplomacy etc. etc. and card games like cribbage, rummy and (with
fake cards) Mille Bourne, Uno (both tm) and so on.  There is soooo
much computer game oriented traffic, though, that it's a hassle
even to read the group let alone post to it!

	I vote for this group splitting into the following two (the
names can be changed to protect the innocent)

	net.games.comp		- computer games, PC & UNIX type
	net.games.board		- board and card games and so on.

while we're at it, how about:

	net.games.vote-on-new-group	- for notes like this one :-)

				-- Dave Taylor

			       ..ihnp4 \
			..decvax!hplabs \
			                  !hpfcla!d_taylor
			..ucbvax!hplabs /
			       ..hpbbn /

eli@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (08/13/85)

> Jeff,
> 	net.games is at times an exercise in frustration - I'd like
> to communicate with people who play board games like Monop, Risk,
> Diplomacy etc. etc. and card games like cribbage, rummy and (with
> fake cards) Mille Bourne, Uno (both tm) and so on.  There is soooo
> much computer game oriented traffic, though, that it's a hassle
> even to read the group let alone post to it!
>
> 	I vote for this group splitting into the following two (the
> names can be changed to protect the innocent)
>
> 	net.games.comp		- computer games, PC & UNIX type
> 	net.games.board		- board and card games and so on.
>
> 				-- Dave Taylor

I'll n'th that.  I too would like to communicate with people on board/card
game topics.  So who will stick there neck out and see about doing this?
-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) (08/23/85)

> > Jeff,
> > 	net.games is at times an exercise in frustration - I'd like
> > to communicate with people who play board games like Monop, Risk,
> > Diplomacy etc. etc. and card games like cribbage, rummy and (with
> > fake cards) Mille Bourne, Uno (both tm) and so on.  There is soooo
> > much computer game oriented traffic, though, that it's a hassle
> > even to read the group let alone post to it!
> >
> > 	I vote for this group splitting into the following two (the
> > names can be changed to protect the innocent)
> >
> > 	net.games.comp		- computer games, PC & UNIX type
> > 	net.games.board		- board and card games and so on.
> >
> > 				-- Dave Taylor
> >

> I'll n'th that.  I too would like to communicate with people on board/card
> game topics.  So who will stick there neck out and see about doing this?
> -eli

I think that splitting net.games into two groups is the right idea.  Then,
net.games should be retired as it will no longer serve a purpose.

As I initiated this discussion (more or less), I will send another request
to net.news.group, and bug our sysman about it.  I would hope that all of
you out there will also send some sort of support to net.news.group too, so that
our moderators might take notice.

Dan Gold

...ucbvax!ucdavis!minnie:ccrdan

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (08/27/85)

In article <16@ucdavis.UUCP>, ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) writes:
>> net.games is at times an exercise in frustration - ...  There is soooo
>> much computer game oriented traffic, though, that it's a hassle even to
>> read the group let alone post to it!

> I think that splitting net.games into two groups is the right idea.  Then,
> net.games should be retired as it will no longer serve a purpose.
>
> I would hope that all of you out there will also send some sort of support to
> net.news.group too, so that our moderators might take notice.

	You don't need to create a group until it generates a bunch of traffic
	in an upper level discussion group.

	You are complaining about "annoying net traffic" about computer games.
	Hack, Rogue and Empire all have their oun groups.  What types of
	computer games are you refering to?  The only kind I can think of are
	the Zork/Adventure/"take shoe" games.

	The time is right for a new group for these types of games.  They
	certainly generate enough annoying net traffic  B-).  The real question
	is what it get called?  We need to chose something that can be clearly
	seen by novices as the proper place to post articles of this type, and
	it must representative of the proposed postings.

	Much as I like "net.games.take_shoe" may I suggest net.games.zork,
	net.games.adv or net.games.text?  This way the traffic that is so
	bothersome to you will be shunted to a subgroup, and net.games will
	remain a general group.
--
	Bob Simpson
ORG	Plus Five Computer Services

UUCP	..!{ihnp4,cbosgd,seismo}!plus5!bob

gjs@inmet.UUCP (02/09/86)

Mail didn't work, so I'll post.

> Anyone help with getting past the ogre with hay fever?
    You need the girgol scroll from the zipper in the ruin
    room.
    You also need the scroll from the roc's nest.
    Go down from the packed earth room.

> How about getting the cube out from under the egg?
    You need the magic carpet.

> How about getting past the huge serpent?
    You need the liskon spell.

> How about going north from Packed Earth?
    When you find out, tell me.

-- George Snyder -- gjs@inmet --

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (02/26/86)

|>True, at first.  There are certain strategies which seem to give
|>Mr. X an advantage.

|   Can we have some discussion of these strategies?  I have played
|several one-on-one games as detectives against my brother playing
|Mr. X, and I nearly always seem to win.  Would anyone who really
|thinks the game is balanced like to play against my detectives via
|net mail?

One of the common beginner's mistakes is not using the 2X markers
until they are nearly caught (i.e. they have to use the markers or
they will be caught).  A better plan is use the 2X markers to
prevent the above from ever happening.  One strategy therefore is
to use the 2X markers the first time Mr. X surfaces (in conjunction
with the black tickets).  Also, play Mr. X a bit more riskier might
help.  One tendency is to always put Mr. X in a position where it
is impossible for the Detectives to catch him.  This tends to always
leave Mr. X in the "net," whereas if you played a bit more risky, he
might escape from the "net."

Another strategy is to milk the Detectives markers, so that they will
run out of the crucial markers, riding on bus routes near the river
does a good job of this.

The 2X markers and the black markers should be used up before you get
to the third column.  If you are in the third column, and the Detectives
do not have a fix on you, then you basically have won the game.

There is an ambiguity in the rules about the Detective movements.  We
played that the Detectives have to move in strict order.  That is if
green moves after red, then red cannot move to green's present location.
This handicaps the Detectives somewhat.  The other rule that you might
implement is to allow Mr. X to show up voluntarily, but take away a
token from each detective.  Contrary to what the rules say, this gives
an advantage to Mr. X.

-- Jeff Wu
   ..{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!j_wu

P.S.  Sure, an E-mail game would be fun.