[net.games] Ultima IV

wholmes@bbnccv.UUCP (William P. Holmes) (12/11/85)

 Hi everyone,
	     I've been playing Ultima IV for a month or so, and it is a lot
  of fun.  I wish I had more time to spend on it but...

	The beginning of this graphic adventure game starts off by asking you
  a few questions about what you would do in certain situations.  Then the
  program makes a character based on your answers.  Since thoughout the game
  you must do things true to character, you can't easily fool into making a
  certain type(ie. fighter, wizard, etc.).
	The map is MUCH larger(256x256) than Ultima III(64x64).  There are
  villiages, towns, cities, castles, and caves.  Terrain slows you down
 depending on what you walk on.  There is even swamplands, which will poison
 you if you stay long.
	Talking to people is a big deal in this, as there are hundreds of
  people and each has some clue.  You can have a conversation with them and
  try to get any info they might have, or get them to join your party.
	This game is another major step above its predicessor. The only thing
  I don't like is that only one can play, whereas in Ultima III four people
  could each have a character.  That is only a minor point though as this is
  a lot of fun...

[raig Macfarlane
cmacfarlane@bbnccj

or just reply to this address for now...

hr@uicsl.UUCP (12/12/85)

RE:
	The Ultima series.

Is it necessary or desireable to play the games in order?
Could I start with IV or should I start with the first?
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

jm630@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (12/15/85)

    The games are not really related in any special way that will prohibit
    you from enjoying them out of order.  (i.e. you don't have to really
    know what happened earlier to play the later ones -  Ultima is not
    like the Tolkien (lord of the rings) series for example.

    HOWEVER

    It's better to start from the beginning because the games have progressed
    through time and you'll appreciate them a lot more if you do start
    at one.

    I haven't played UlTIMA IV yet but I'm dyin'  to ....

          "I never met an ULTIMA I didn't like"

                                                 Joe Matthews
                                                 University of Illinois

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (12/16/85)

In article <18903950@uiucuxa> jm630@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>    It's better to start from the beginning because the games have progressed
>    through time and you'll appreciate them a lot more if you do start
>    at one.
>
>    I haven't played UlTIMA IV yet but I'm dyin'  to ....
>
>          "I never met an ULTIMA I didn't like"

   I sent an E-mail response to the author of the original request, but thought
I'd take this opportunity to give my opinion about Sierra Online's version of
Ultima I.
   The game is unplayable.  Bugs (may be features, but the result is the same)
do things like take away your money and weapons when you die (making it next
to impossible to get more without dying several more times); resurrect you
in places where you can't do anything but wait until you starve to death
(e.g. small islands, middle of oceans); etc.   In order to get the full
effect of the strength of my opinion of the implementation, you'd have to
sit down at my computer and try to play with (or, more appropriately,
against) it for several hours.  The only reason the diskette is still in
one piece is that I was able to control my rage at being suckered into
buying the trash.   As a result of this, I have not and will not buy anything
else by Sierra Online.  Of course, if they see this and send me Ultima II
free of charge, and it's a good piece of software, I'll revise my opinion.
Until then, I'd rather use the $20 as kindling for my fireplace.
   THIS IS IMPORTANT===> According to reports, Ultima I is available on
some machines (I own an Atari) from some company other than Sierra Online.
If this is the case, ignore the comments above; the problems with the game
seem to be implementation specific.

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Sierra Online or any competing software
house, except as a concerned consumer.  Sierra Online and Ultima are most
probably trademarks.

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (12/17/85)

In article <1810@uwmacc.UUCP>, oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
>   ..., but thought
> I'd take this opportunity to give my opinion about Sierra Online's version of
> Ultima I.
>    The game is unplayable.  Bugs (may be features, but the result is the same)
> do things like take away your money and weapons when you die (making it next
> to impossible to get more without dying several more times); resurrect you
> ... etc...
>   As a result of this, I have not and will not buy anything
> else by Sierra Online.
>    ...    (I own an Atari) ...
>
>  - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)
>
> Disclaimer: I have no connection with Sierra Online or any competing software
> house, except as a concerned consumer.  Sierra Online and Ultima are most
> probably trademarks.

     First, I am afraid I have a small connection to Origin systems (one-time
REAL-small contract work for the Mac version of Ultima ]I[), and I have some
friends working there, so I'm kind of biased.
     Second, Ultima is indeed a trademark belonging to the original author
(formerly of Sierra, now with Origin.)  I shall be grossly negligent and omit
the (tm) that should follow every occurrence of Ultima (tm) that occurs in
this message.
     Thirdly, I too have heard of bugs with Sierra's versions of the Ultima
series (they do versions of Ultima I and Ultima ][, as I recall).  Usually
they are similar to those mentioned in the parent letter paraphrased above.
     Origin does versions of Ultima ]I[ and Ultima IV (forthcoming for the Mac
and PC (et al?)).  The guy who does the translations from the Apple ][ version
to the Mac/PC versions does as close to a literal translation as possible.
This means you don't introduce any new bugs.  From what's been said, (and from
comments from people inside Origin have said), Sierra doesn't do this.  Thus,
the new bugs.
     I also know that Origin playtests the dickens out of their games.  (While
working on the mac version, they found a bug in an Apple-supplied Segment
loader that caused the game to routinely crash after about 50,000 moves.  They
had this happen dozens of times.  That's a lot of moves.)
     I could go on about Sierra's serious financial troubles, but just let it
suffice that I don't like Sierra.  They don't do a very good job at what they
do.

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		345-0932
		Austin, TX 78763-5899
					 AT&T
					(512) 345-0932

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/17/85)

In article <4500001@uicsl> hr@uicsl.UUCP writes:

>RE:
>	The Ultima series.
>
>Is it necessary or desireable to play the games in order?
>Could I start with IV or should I start with the first?
>----
>
>	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

You dont need to play the other games. Ultima IV will make characters for you.

--
       -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
       |   _R_y_a_n_ _R_a_m_s_e_y       _H_o_m_e_ _P_h_o_n_e- (213) 391-2888           |

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (12/18/85)

> RE:
> 	The Ultima series.
>
> Is it necessary or desireable to play the games in order?
> Could I start with IV or should I start with the first?
>
> 	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

I would start at the beginning just for the enjoyment of the game.
Also, the problems do get progressively harder as the series goes
on.  You do not NEED to play them in any order, however.

I have Ultima IV and am pretty far along.  (I think)  If anyone out
there has played it or solved it could you write to me?  I have some
"advanced" questions I would like to ask that shouldn't posted to the
net.
--
		Kevin Chu
		!{ucbvax,lll-crg,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (12/18/85)

In article <18903950@uiucuxa> jm630@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:
>    HOWEVER
>    It's better to start from the beginning because the games have progressed
>    through time and you'll appreciate them a lot more if you do start
>    at one.

	Unless, of course, you own an IBM PC.  Ultima I (as far as I
was able to find out) was only available for the Apple II.  If you
own an IBM PC, you'll have to settle for II and III.  Speaking
of which,  for what machines is Ultima IV released?

	(And when are they going to get around to moving Wizardry
scenarios II, III, and IV to the PC?).

					-- Chris

wholmes@bbnccv.UUCP (William P. Holmes) (03/05/86)

	Is there anybody out there that is playing U4 with the speach chips
 in the moking board?  Just curious on if they use speach or whatever.

	Also what happens if a npc joins your party before giving you all of
 the clues they might have?  Sometimes I have regretted(sp?) asking a npc to
 join in case I forgot to ask them about something.

TiA,
[raig
cmacfarlane@bbnv.arpa

ma3166ay@unmc.UUCP (L.A. Electronics) (03/06/86)

In article <> wholmes@bbnccv.UUCP (William P. Holmes) writes:

>	Is there anybody out there that is playing U4 with the speach chips
> in the moking board?  Just curious on if they use speach or whatever.
>
>TiA,
>[raig
>cmacfarlane@bbnv.arpa

I have seen it played on a system with a single Mockingboard "C" (which has the
speech chips) and it doesn't do speech, just the soundtrack.

I have NOT seen it played with the "Two Mockingboard" option active.  What
does the second Mockingboard provide?  Speech (if equipped), sound effects
(instead of thru the Apple speaker), or more voices of soundtrack music?

I've been thinking about buying this, and if a second Mockingboard is well-used
I probably would.  (I already have a MB"C" and can get another pretty cheap.)

.rne.

-----
Ernie Longmire    {{ purdue cmcl2 ihnp4 } !lanl ucbvax } !unmvax!unmc!ma3166ay
-----
"I'm looking for my pipe bomb...I left it here a while ago and now it's gone."