[net.games] SSI games

wholmes@bbnccv.UUCP (William P. Holmes) (03/05/86)

	Another question...Is there anybody out there that has/is playing
any games from SSI(Strategic Simulations Inc.)?  I just received their spring
1986 catalog in the mail, and in it there are 50 or so computer games.  Most
of them look like Avalon-Hill type games that got put on computers.

	I figure that somebody must have played some of their stuff. On the
cover of the catalog "We're known as the maker of the best computer wargames.
Now we're going for the same reputation in fantasy gaming."

Anyway let me know what you think,
[raig
cmacfarlane@bbnv.arpa

cs2532bn@unmc.UUCP (Mr. Modem) (03/10/86)

In article <> wholmes@bbnccv.UUCP (William P. Holmes) writes:

>	Another question...Is there anybody out there that has/is playing
>any games from SSI(Strategic Simulations Inc.)?  I just received their spring
>1986 catalog in the mail, and in it there are 50 or so computer games.  Most
>of them look like Avalon-Hill type games that got put on computers.

>From: lhm@petsd.UUCP (Lee McClellan)
>I have just recently finished both Questron and Phantasie which are
>made by SSI. I thought they were two of the best games I have played
>in a while. Questron was slightly more entertaining, but it was also
>easier. Both were similar with joy stick control, easy menus, creating
>characters, dungeons, combat and the works. I recommend them highly.

I am an SSI fanatic, and can say that I've played about 1/3 of their games.
Believe me, that's a LOT.  Most of their games are wargames/simulations/
kicktheshitoutoftheRussians type and can be entertaining, provided you have
the patience, first of all, to LEARN how to play, then to actually PLAY the
thing!  Their new breed of stock is what Lee, above, was talking about.  They
have started a line of fantasy rpg type games, and are doing pretty well.  So
far they have 5 or so titles out, including (but not limited to ;-) Gemstone
Warrior, Phantasie, Questron, and I've seen ads for others.

There is also the Rapid-Fire series of wargames, which is the 'arcade' style
of computer wargaming.  These are incredibly playable, since there is minimal
human bookkeeping unless requested by the human.  Such games are Broadsides,
Cosmic Balance, and I can't remember the others.

One comment on Questron.  While it's fun starting, it gets very boring.  So
boring, in fact, that I never finished, nor made it to the dungeon.  I guess
I can't judge it until I do that.  (It has great graphics in the dungeon demo)

There is another gaming company using the talents of Roger "Germany 1985"
Keating called SSG (Strategic Studies Group).  It is Austrailian based, and
has some really impressive and playable games.  It's worth looking into.

In conclusion, SSI has somwhat recently overcome its 'boring game' status and
has widely varied their styles of games.  They still have lots of hardcore
campaign length games, but also the fast versions of wargames, fantasy games,
and simulations (the 'other' catagory).

Stefan Chakerian						 CIS: 74365,231
                 {ucbvax|pur-ee|csu-cs|convex|nmtvax|lanl} unmvax!unmc!cs2532bn

This is my girlfriend:  ~.
Her name is Tilde.

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (03/12/86)

> One comment on Questron.  While it's fun starting, it gets very boring.  So
> boring, in fact, that I never finished, nor made it to the dungeon.  I guess
> I can't judge it until I do that.  (It has great graphics in the dungeon demo)

	Questron is based on Ultima II (so much so, they even bought a license
to sell the game). As such, it does suffer from the need to rack up
personal money and experience points, and does get a little slow (although
I can give some hints on how to speed that up, within the confines of the
game, i.e. not editting the disk). But I strongly urge you to go ahead and
finish the game. The reason? The game has the most involved finish I have
ever seen! Not the fulfilling of the quest, which is sort of foregone
by the time you get to it, but upon return from the quest, the game goes
through about a 15 minute animated sequence of trumpet fanfares, royal
audiences and gifts, parades, salutes, and a teaser about a sequel (not
written, as far as I know). Very entertaining. I actually enjoyed the
game more than Ultima II - it has a much tighter plot, and reason for
things to happen. Still a lot of hack and slash, but there is an underlying
theme between events.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!eric

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicarious Oyster) (03/12/86)

In article <81@unmc.UUCP> cs2532bn@unmc.UUCP (Mr. Modem) writes:

>One comment on Questron.  While it's fun starting, it gets very boring.  So
>boring, in fact, that I never finished, nor made it to the dungeon.  I guess
>I can't judge it until I do that.  (It has great graphics in the dungeon demo)

   I had the same experience with (SSI's) Gemstone Warrior.  It got fairly
boring fairly quickly (4-5 hours of non-continuous play).  Anybody want to
buy the Atari version cheap? :-)

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)