[net.games] larn: found an easy way to pay taxes!

craig@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Craig Wylie) (11/24/86)

In article <1728@cbdkc1.UUCP> joe@dkc1.UUCP (Joseph T. Judge CB 1K336 x7119 KBR) writes:
>In article <1871@ptsfa.UUCP> ssl@ptsfa.UUCP (Sam Lok) writes:
>>

>>Will the person who found out the way to get INFINITE gold post a spoiler
>>message?  Or send the hint to me?

[Spoiler removed]
It definitely spoils all the fun

To spoil the fun of those who try it the following diffs file
for main.c should suffice.

757a758,761
--
UUCP:	 ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!craig| Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	 craig%lancs.comp@ucl-cs          |	  Department of Computing,

vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) (11/28/86)

In article <1728@cbdkc1.UUCP> joe@dkc1.UUCP (Joseph T. Judge CB 1K336 x7119 KBR) writes:

>	Anywhere, anytime, just 'd'rop gold (which is '.'). The amount
>you drop is any large amount (try 9000000000000 or something). Then pick it
>up. Viola! Buku bucks!

	Great sense of humour you have.  Gotta love this.  Surely you jest ?
There's no way that'll work.  Not in 12.0 at any rate.

What do you want to drop ?
.
How much gold do you want to drop ?
90000000000000 (give or take a few zeros)
Forget it, you clown (You don't have that much, to be precise)

	Try again.

wen-king@cit-vlsi.Caltech.Edu (Wen-King Su) (11/29/86)

In article <5377@dartvax.UUCP> vallury@dartvax.UUCP (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:
>In article <1728@cbdkc1.UUCP> joe@dkc1.UUCP (Joseph T. Judge CB 1K336 x7119 KBR) writes:
>
>>	Anywhere, anytime, just 'd'rop gold (which is '.'). The amount
>>you drop is any large amount (try 9000000000000 or something). Then pick it
>>up. Viola! Buku bucks!
>
>	Great sense of humour you have.  Gotta love this.  Surely you jest ?
>There's no way that'll work.  Not in 12.0 at any rate.

>What do you want to drop ?
>.
>How much gold do you want to drop ?
>90000000000000 (give or take a few zeros)
>Forget it, you clown (You don't have that much, to be precise)

The number cited was probably just a hint.  Given a number in the right
range, it does work in LARN 12.0.  I will give you the number that will
give you the most gold.  Type 'n' if you don't want to know what it
is.  The same trick will work with HACK 1.0.3.  However, doing this is
extremely unpolite, nasty, and unprofessional.  I am sorry when I tried
it on HACK, I never expected it to work; but unlike LARN the score gets
saved when I quit.  So now I have to find some way to get the sore off
the record file.  Have fun cheating.  May a giant rat bite off all your
toe nails.

Well, since you are dying to know, try: 2,147,483,649 (== 2**31 + 1).
Anything between this and 2**32 - 1 will do.  But of course 2**32 - 1
will only give you one unit of gold.

To get the maximum gold, make sure you start out with 0 gold.  Otherwise
the two quantities will add and you get a wrap around.